BaoFeng UV-5R questions.. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > BaoFeng UV-5R questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8962 Times on 5208 Posts
Likes Given: 11784

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
It was a combination of a few things...

When it comes to prepping I always put communications on the back burner and focused on water, food, guns, ammo, medical, etc. and decided I'm now in a position to focus on something else like communications.
I started looking into HAM radios and realized I had a lot to learn. I then realized that if it was going to be a survival tool I would be an idiot if I didn't take the time to learn how to use it.
So now I'm reading up on it and plan on getting my license soon.
As I'm learning more about it, I can see it becoming another one of my many hobbies.
I'll start by learning more. Listening. Getting a license. Doing some HAMing and then eventually buying nicer equipment if my firearms addiction doesn't lighten up my wallet too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
A guy I knew a few years ago who was a big time prepare of the sort where he bought all of the stuff but it sat in storage and he didn't know how to use it, anyhow I met him shortly after he was diagnosed with ALS and given 4 years to live. I met him because he was trying to sell off all of his prepare stuff so his wife wouldn't have to deal with it after he died. He got it all into his garage from the storage locker and would have people (like me) come by and he would sell things for pennies on the dollar. He was a little crazy though and wouldn't sell a bunch of stuff. It got to the point where he said he was just going to haul it all to the dump and throw it away so I offered that my boys and I would sort through it and sell it all off for half of the money. Well, he died a few weeks after we made the deal, but his wife gave us everything. In all of his stuff was a bunch of handheld Ham radios (and probably a dozen GMRS and some FRS) as well as a really high end scanner that will pick up everything from broadcast radio to cellular phone signals. (He had all of the packaging for a really high end Yaesu but we never found the darned radio!)

The sad part? All of this stuff was basically new in package. He never learned how to use any of it. He had everything he needed to get on the air, even has the study material and licensing information. But never did it.

Anyhow, I ended up keeping a bunch of the antenna stuff, power supplies and a few of the HTs. Pretty uch anything that I didn't already have.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #32
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Do u still have the Scanner or any of the hand helds,.

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8962 Times on 5208 Posts
Likes Given: 11784

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Do u still have the Scanner or any of the hand helds,.

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

I traded the scanner for a S&W (lost out on that deal because of CA laws prohibiting importation of freaking old guns Ended up having to sell it to a LEO without my ever having received it.)

I think I still do have a Yaesu FT 60. I'll have to check.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.