Bag O Medical - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bag O Medical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The big question about medical supplies is quantity. If an emergency event lasts for a long time you could quickly run out of things like bandaids, guaze pads and cleansers.

I spent 17 years in EMS, more than half of that as a certified training officer. Supplies we used in trauma that I am acquiring in quantity are 2x2 and 4x4 pads, triangle bandages, self-adherant wrap, and sam splints.

In addition to these supplies I would add hydrogen preoxide, betadine solution, veterinary wound wash solutions, and IV supplies.

Tractor supply, or Orscheln's is a good place to find vet med supplies that will work just as well for humans. Amazon is your friend in shopping for supplies as well. Chinook Medical has good prices too.
Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 809 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 233

I don't want to stop this thread, but I do want to thank you all for the information so far. This was an important one. Many will benefit from your info.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Liked 4442 Times on 2199 Posts
Likes Given: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5
I don't want to stop this thread, but I do want to thank you all for the information so far. This was an important one. Many will benefit from your info.
Why stop it? Well keep this ball rolling! I'm in a medical person in charge class, so I'll add things as I learn more.

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #14

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper61 View Post
Super glue is great for closing cuts...just a thought
Yeah, here's another thought super glue, and crazy glue is-cyocryanolate- it's cyanide-based ...

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

As a nurse paramedic, I can tell you that you need to learn to improvise in an emergency. for a sucking chest wound (All chest wounds suck) you can use a potato chip bag, a glove, etc. For suturing, you must remember to clean the wound 1st with water or saline solution to PREVENT infection, then with soap and water. If you don't suture, you can use hydrogen peroxide to cauterize and stop bleeding. You can use superglue anywhere there is not a great amount of pulling of the skin making sure wound is clean and dry. Then, if necessary, suture using mono filament fishing line within 4 hours (the sooner the better) and not left in more than 4 - 7 days. cover the wound lightly with dressing and bandage. Change dressing daily if soiled.
I would stock my bag with:

Nitral or medical gloves
Elastic bandages 2,4, & 6 inch
Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide
You can use trees and bushes for a splint
dental floss saran wrap & emergency Mylar blankets (2)
needle(s) (curved and straight) and mono filament line (small diameter)
Matches, zip lock bags for penetrating chest trauma, and to hold supplies
needle nosed pliers or hemostats (2)
eye wash (Normal saline solution (0.9% NS)) to wash out wounds before closure, triple antibiotic ointment or creme.
Large square of muslin or cotton 40 X 40 inches for sling and swath
3 inch strips of unbleached muslin or clean cotton for tying braces, etc.
oragel (for topical pain relief)
benedryl for hives / itching
aspirin 81mg - 1 bottle chewable
hydro cortisone creme 1%
4 X 4 and roll gauze
Medium sized pocket knife and small LED flashlight
If you can gain access to drugs,and have the knowledge to use them (can kill you) 1:10,000 Lidocaine 2%
1:1000 epinephrine for allergic reactions
scalpels or razor blades
glucose solution or tablets for diabetic emergencies
anti nausea and anti diarrhea medications
Zofran (Rx) im or Phernagan
D5 & Saline solution with 10 drop drip set (Rx for IV) re-hydration
some of you will need an MD to write scripts for above if he/she agrees.
Antibiotics may be useful but remember many people are ALLERGIC to penicillin and have a reactions!

in reality, you need two medical bags - 1 for long term treatments and 1 for emergencies. Remember that you need to get to a place of safety before starting long term treatment - assess airway, breathing, and circulation and if they are intact, proceed to a sheltered area ASAP. (That is why I use 2 bags)

for any additional information you can PM me

Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #16

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Great post, O_P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Paramedic View Post
in reality, you need two medical bags - 1 for long term treatments and 1 for emergencies.
I have a AMK [brand] 2.0 kit in my INCH bag and a 1.0 kit in my GHB. Added a couple of those 'single serve' Imodium packs you find in convenience stores to each. Thanks to your post I'll add a few things to my INCH 'trauma' kit. I keep the first aid kits packed inside my bags. For quick access to the the 'trauma' kit , I picked up a gas mask bag (iirc that's what it is) that attaches to the outside of my pack...

Added pretty much your list (sort of) with the help of my wife that is a surgical nurse...