Bag O Medical
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bag O Medical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default Bag O Medical

I know CPR and a few other necessities, and I have a typical first aid kit. I want to find or make up a kit for injuries that are more serious than a cut finger. I have gotten some info from the forum and gone on line. I find kits rangeing from $40 to $400. I have no idea what the some of the contents are. If I need it all. What's essential. Shelf life. And so on.
Is there a resource recommended by you folks with experience.
Thanks!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Liked 4146 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I'm currently taking a medical person in charge course.

You need to consider what this kits for. You can't give out medications to people, and you can get in trouble trying to play doc, in the current world.
If you're talking EOTWAWKI, different story I guess.

1st. SCENE SAFETY! Say it ten times. Protect yourself. Get gloves, face masks, antibacterial, etc... Protect yourself.

Take a course, or at least buy a book. My textbook is 'critical care for first responders' (I think that's the name)...

Ask your local volunteer firefighters, what courses they have, and what books they recommend.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

In response to a bag, build your own.

Think of scenarios that you MIGHT be able to help, and what you would need to fix it.

Someone breaks their leg spin kicking a zombie in the head... Splint, bandages, ice, etc...

Someone sliced by assassin ninjas? Suture kit, alcohol to clean wounds...

Someone accidentally shoot themselves in their leg, quick drawing against Soviet invaders?... Suture kit, splint, compression bandages...

Etc...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 10-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #4

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Duct Tape and Hydrogen Peroxide.

The medical plan of real men for decades...

Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Super glue is great for closing cuts...just a thought

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

As much Cipro and other antibiotics as you can stash away also Potassium Iodide to protect against radiation sickness. Never know what scenario will lead to EOTWAWKI...might as well be prepared. In a world without properly operating sewage and water treatment systems Dysentery, Cholera and other water borne diseases will run rampant...plan on having a means to filter and purify all of your drinking water.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Most first aid kits are fine for getting a splinter out of your finger, or putting a bandaid on your papercut.

For my gear- blood clotter. Large compress dressings. clean plastic large enough to cover wounds that penetrate into the lungs (google sucking chest wound) couple of ACE bandages- not only for sprains, but can be used to hold splint or dressing in place. Disposable space blanket. Gloves.

In my MEDICAL gear, I have prescription meds (my Doc is also a hunter, shooter, and back country hiker. He knows I do not self medicate except in an emergency) They include Cipro, a Z pak, pain meds, Pen VK, Potassium Iodide (nuclear power plants in the area) immodium, aspirin, and some lidocaine (topical anesthetic). Yes, have a suture kit (suture self ) some good hemostats.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I have a complete field surgery kit and first responder training. I can do anything from treat a cut to treat you for severe blood loss while removing the bullet and closing you up.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I have a complete field surgery kit and first responder training. I can do anything from treat a cut to treat you for severe blood loss while removing the bullet and closing you up.
Will you fit in my BOB?

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

Superglue was used in Vietnam era medical kits. It worked, but had a high rate of infection, So they developed dermabond. Just a thought before you go filling yourself with superglue. Also, very rarely do you need to stitch a wound, they do that to minimize scar tissue.