Is it bad that I wish some of these things would happen ? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Is it bad that I wish some of these things would happen ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I often wish we could go back to a simpler time. I am tied to my cell phone and laptop. I can't do business without them. People bother me 24/7. I even get customers calling me while I am on vacation. I tell them I am on vacation and they are so selfish!
I feel your pain. I was gone for a week in the mountains with my family enjoying a quiet cabin . Day 2 I had 5 texts from work and 3 missed calls from work.Day 4 more calls from employees that cant figure it out . IM ON VACATION !!!! I dont call anyone from work while they are on vacation but maybe I will start and see how they like it . If your stumped do your best to figure it out . Its not that hard , when I go to Vegas with my wife my phone is going to stay on my desk at work . I will not be disturbed next time .I should have just taken a few more days just to cover the disruptions

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #12

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

Hey Purehavoc. I am going on vacation next week. I sent an email to a college tennis coach to tell them that they had until tomorrow to get the contract for the hotel rooms for the team back to me. They actually asked if I would have my laptop with me. I told them I didn't think I would be able to use the wifi from the roller coasters. People never cease to amaze me.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 256 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 541

I often talk about getting rid of my cell phone. I miss being really independent, if my truck breaks down guess what? I figure it out like a man and press on! People are so pacified and they always have to have the instant gratification of their cell phone! Many times my phone is off and is left at home, also I have no cell service where I live! LOL

I would love to go primitive for a week or so, wait a minute I did last year when we lost power after a storm for almost two weeks! I had fun with it, made coffee in the percolator on the grill and read by oil lantern ( yeas I still use the old school oil lamps ). Sure we lost most of our food in the fridge, and it was in the 90s with 90 percent humidity but whatever I like the challenge.

I always feel more connected when that crap is turned off and it is just yourself and GOD out there. You can learn so much, yet it seems people want to learn from facebook and not the real world. Funny thing is I am in my late 20s, I just grew up without any money, never had tech stuff till I bought them my own and then never really felt like I needed them. Seems that junk just keeps you tied down and stressed.

I prefer peace of mind to a data plan any day!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #14

Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I feel your pain. I was gone for a week in the mountains with my family enjoying a quiet cabin . Day 2 I had 5 texts from work and 3 missed calls from work.Day 4 more calls from employees that cant figure it out . IM ON VACATION !!!! I dont call anyone from work while they are on vacation but maybe I will start and see how they like it . If your stumped do your best to figure it out . Its not that hard , when I go to Vegas with my wife my phone is going to stay on my desk at work . I will not be disturbed next time .I should have just taken a few more days just to cover the disruptions
It's your own fault. You own the phone, not the tuther way round, shut the damn thing off, you're on vacation. The things have an insidious way of working on your conscience that you have to answer them. I am at an advantage though, being that I am retired, but I own the phone, it don't own me. Drove my wife crazy when I stopped answering the phone, but she got used to it. She bought me a cell phone, but it's been in the desk drawer since it got home because I don't care to learn how to run it. Labor saving devices should not be snapping at your a$$ , trying to own your leisure Time. But that' just me.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Liked 481 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Be careful what you wish for. At some point down the road, somebody will pop an EMP device and we'll all get to find out what life was like when the Pilgrims landed.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #16

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

I hate my phone. I have received phone calls and texts everyday so far on my vacation. I got a call at 2:30 am to ask me what to do about a printer that was out of toner. My reply? There are three computers with printers at the front desk. Use one of the other ones until the day shift gets there to fix it!!!!
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2497 Times on 1512 Posts
Likes Given: 13713

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I wish cellphones would disappear forever. People are entirely too tied up in being connected 24 hours a day. It's like people are too afraid to be alone with their thoughts for awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
It's not my thoughts that bother me, it's the thoughts of the other voices in this head.
Yep. The voices in my head say some scary sh!t from time to time. It's even more fun when they start fighting with each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I often wish we could go back to a simpler time. I am tied to my cell phone and laptop. I can't do business without them. People bother me 24/7. I even get customers calling me while I am on vacation. I tell them I am on vacation and they don't care. People are so selfish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Reminds me of when I was in the hospital about 8 years back. I had gangrene and the start of blood poisoning, lost half of my left foot as a result. I was sent up to ECMC in Buffalo after a week in the local hospital.

Now, I'm an hour away, I was ordered to go to the hospital by my boss, and he know what my status was. I was hooked up to an IV and a wound vac, recovering, and I still was getting at least 3 phone calls a week asking me how to do the shut down procedure for the POS machines and the gas islands out at the pump house. I am in the freakin' hospital recovering from an amputation, doped to the gills, an hour away, and I am getting asked to fix a problem caused by one of the managers not making sure that the closing crew knows how to shut the system down for the night? Give me a d@mn break!

Cell phones have an on\off button and caller ID. If the phone is on, i check the caller ID before answering it. Most of the time, I just leave the d@mn thing off. Much easier that way.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #19

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You know, it's not hard to turn the cell of, unplug a land line (I don't even have one of these..Cell only), and step away form the computer(s). Maybe it's just living in the sticks but I see it as a non issue. I get tired of it they just go away.
With the exception of this forum I don't look at anything on the net for weeks at a time and even that can be too much and I have to take a hiatus (again).

It's as easy as leaving the cell in the house and going outside. Tech devices are only as important as you make them. Some how we got business done without many modern devices. Even with the cell in your pocket you have to choose to answer the call or text. How you choose is how important the device is to you. People are always asking me why I don't answer my phone or why it might take a week to reply to a text. It's simply because I didn't feel like it. If they really needed me and it was important they would be in my driveway.
But I do live in the country and I do not like to be bothered when I'm out and about. I like to fish in the warm months and will never take a phone with me most times. When I do it's because I have a ton of music stored no it and I've put in ear buds and am jamming while ripping lips. Not much is more fun than catching a big bass while listening to some good music. And ear buds keep things nice and quiet around you And I have no use for a cell when I'm shooting. And I like to shoot a lot!

No one needs to be reachable 24/7. It you are a business owner then you hire bad people that can not think or act for themselves. Hire better people, that is no ones fault than your own. If you work for someone that can't seem to get get by without you then tell your incompetent employer to stop hiring other incompetents. You don't get the others pay checks. You should not be doing their jobs. If your job requires you to be tethered to tech..Well..You took the job. Stop looking so forlorn. Create your freedom or not. But if it's allowed to continue then the fault lies with those that are chained. Not the chain itself.
People Like This 
Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4436

I just can't understand why people feel a need to be attached to their devices? I do love the internet because I have instant access to so much information and I'm always curios about how various things are connected, but I can get by without it. In fact I just did for a couple of months. Cell phones are handy if I need to call someone, but my cell phone is for if I need something. I don't have it in case everyone else needs something. As for Facebook and all that other junk, get a life. Go outside and plant a garden, shoot and clean a squirrel, build something, catch a fish. Do something real and enjoy living! And no you don't need to take picture and post it for any of that just to prove to everyone that you do have a life.
People Like This