The Backwoodsman Magazine and Bacon Grease

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Backwoodsman Magazine and Bacon Grease

View Poll Results: Do you read "Backwoodsman: The Magazine for Twenty-First Century Frontiersman"?
Yes! 20 35.71%
No! 2 3.57%
Never heard of it. 34 60.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The Backwoodsman Magazine and Bacon Grease

So, I've been reading this magazine lately called, "The Backwoodsman: The Magazine for the Twenty-First Century Frontiersman". It's a great read. It's mostly survival, knife making, and guns. Most of the articles are reader-submitted, and they'll give you a free subscription as payment for your article.

I am working on an article about uses for bacon grease, in a sustainable living type of situation. I'd like to have 5 - 10 uses for it that don't include it's use as a food or flavoring.

What I've come up with so far is:

1. Candle Making
2. Soap Making
3. Soaking tender (ie. dryer lint) in it to make it easier to ignite.

I am hoping for two things out of this post:

I would like to know how many of you read this magazine or have even heard of it (just out of curiosity).

And, I would like some suggestions for uses of bacon grease (other than food or flavoring), which I will research about and include in the article I want to write.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well of course lubricant. WD 40, Ky Jelly ,axle grease, etc.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jesse, I became pretty intrigued with this bacon grease dilemma of yours. I did an internet search and ended up on Gun Broker.com's message board. Some of the more interesting uses for bacon grease were: bear bait, seasoning for cooking, water proofing, hair jell, use it to treat mange, makes you have by-pass surgery, and smear it on doors knobs and instantly become the life of the party.
I plagiarized these ideas of that site so I'm not sure if you can legally use them.
Although, I would like to subscribe to that magazine so please post the address. Hunter Joe

Old 03-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

Attractant scent, when burned, for bear hunting.
In colonial days, they would also use a hunk of lard as a lighting device in a special holder.

http://www.prices4antiques.com/lighting/lard-fat-lamps/Lard-Lamp-Tin-Oblong-Diamond-Font-on-Stem-Saucer-Base-D9931043.htm

Last edited by Spanz; 03-14-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Jesse, I became pretty intrigued with this bacon grease dilemma of yours. I did an internet search and ended up on Gun Broker.com's message board. Some of the more interesting uses for bacon grease were: bear bait, seasoning for cooking, water proofing, hair jell, use it to treat mange, makes you have by-pass surgery, and smear it on doors knobs and instantly become the life of the party.
I plagiarized these ideas of that site so I'm not sure if you can legally use them.
Although, I would like to subscribe to that magazine so please post the address. Hunter Joe
Thanks Hunter Joe. I didn't think of the bear bait idea, or waterproofing. I'm going to check those ideas out, as well as treating mange.

I don't know that I want to use it for hair jell, well at least not while bear huntig.

My wife uses it to keep flies off her horses. She doesn't like to use the chemical sprays (silly girl), and the bacon grease seems to work.

Heres the website address for The Backwoodsman.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Jesse, I got that site bookmarked.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Never heard of it. But you can use bacon grease as a handy dandy Islamic terrorist repellant....

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

it would work to bait just about anything. i wouldnt use it as a ky type product but as a lube of sorts it would be very helpful

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Never heard of it. But you can use bacon grease as a handy dandy Islamic terrorist repellant....
ROTFLMFAO!!!

I think maybe we should campaign to pass a bill to feed only bacon grease in ANY prison/detainment camp in the US.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The bacon grease make me think of a fly/wasp/hornet trap we use to use when camping.

Get some hot soapy water in a bowl, and hang a slice of bacon over it, and when they come to eat that they'll eat to much and fall into the water and be stuck there. Not entirely sure how it works, but it gets the job done.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory