Backpacking? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i have a kelty internal frame pack. i've used a lot of the same crap i used in the military. goretex sleeping bag, msr stove, leatherman, SOG knife, and a whole lot of other widgets. i still carry a handgun with me however, especially when dayhiking. you never know who your going to run in to. on time i was kayaking about 50ft from the beach at about 8:00AM. i thought i was alone when all of a sudden i see this guy hiding in the woods; how can i say this, "pleasuring himself". he took off running. not that i needed my gun, but it just goes to show that there are wierdos everywhere mind you, this was in a pretty remote area on the long island sound.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
i have a kelty internal frame pack. i've used a lot of the same crap i used in the military. goretex sleeping bag, msr stove, leatherman, SOG knife, and a whole lot of other widgets. i still carry a handgun with me however, especially when dayhiking. you never know who your going to run in to. on time i was kayaking about 50ft from the beach at about 8:00AM. i thought i was alone when all of a sudden i see this guy hiding in the woods; how can i say this, "pleasuring himself". he took off running. not that i needed my gun, but it just goes to show that there are wierdos everywhere mind you, this was in a pretty remote area on the long island sound.
Oops. Sorry 'bout that. All that nature gets me all... anxious, if you catch my meaning.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19279

Default Absolutly !

It.s good to talk about mother nature and Ineffable ,you are absolutly right about the sleeping pad.the is nothing better than a comfortable bed with a veiw.All i,ve ever used was 3/4 thick ensolite closed cell foam,not to soft but great insulater.I,m getting that urge,where,s my pack.And never packed a weapon,to much weight,but wish I had many times.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Dango, it is not the weight of the firearm- it's having to pack the body out.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default You Have A Point !

I have had many close calls .Usually of the wild kingdom kind.I am older wiser , and slower now and would surely pack a weapon now.
Question-? Has any body heard of a company called YAK WORKS ?
I bought a pack back in the mid seventies,and the thing is still my main pack. It,s like a GLOCK ,can,nt wear it out .

Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Re-post.

HEY C3shooter,do you know a park in south eastern Virginia called North-west river.It,s near the Carolina border and part of the great dismal swamp.Spent 4 months there.The swamp was very cool but hated those darn deer-flys with bright green eyes.Oh,buy the way,I have been rained in,snowed in and bugged in.The extra weight of a good tent is well worth it to me.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Who's been on an extended backpacking trip?
define extended

Quote:
How many nights did you go
2 weeks was my max.

Quote:
what gear did you find useful?
everything in my pack and on person.

I'm a pretty experienced backpacker but you have to find out which gear works for you. Also you need to find what price rage you can afford. MEC.ca is where i get all my gear from. Good co-op company. i can send you a list of all my gear if you really want.

Last edited by Braeden; 07-09-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Oops. Sorry 'bout that. All that nature gets me all... anxious, if you catch my meaning.
That's hilarious! LOL

Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #19

Default cook stove

Just thought I would mention that Colman just came out with a great cook stove called the Coleman F1 single burner cook stove that I beleave runs on butaine fuel it colapses down very small and flat, I've looked on the internet but so far best price is at Walmart, go figure.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
Just thought I would mention that Colman just came out with a great cook stove called the Coleman F1 single burner cook stove that I beleave runs on butaine fuel it colapses down very small and flat, I've looked on the internet but so far best price is at Walmart, go figure.
MSR multi-fuel stoves are among the best that there are. They'll burn anything, last for several generations and are still made in America.

I've got an MSR Dragonfly that has burnt everything from alcohol to AVGAS. It weighs about a pound with a full bottle of fuel and a bottle of fuel will get you through a full week. With average use.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.