You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

back packing stoves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1185 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
the orange, tall flame on the left, is the lantern wick???

i would suspect that you could leave a small lip on the outer edge of the center opening to receive a piece of round (a size that's a lil larger than the center opening), flat (or convex, or concave up ) aluminum with a hole in the center to "regulate" your flame. just make multiple "regulator caps" with various hole sizes in each. that way you can constrict the amount of burn and the size of the flame. u can even cut or punch, maybe, pencil-sized holes (or smaller) around a center hub instead of a center hole.
I have not updated this but I cut out a little larger center and placed it over the hole and it slowed it down a bit so its not so rich and it slows the other ones down to a simmer.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #12

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I have not updated this but I cut out a little larger center and placed it over the hole and it slowed it down a bit so its not so rich and it slows the other ones down to a simmer.

good deal!

i have not assembled one yet, but it just looked to reason that one could slow the rate of burn and intensity of the flame that way. if you get a chance, would you make another "larger center" and cut a smaller hole in it's center and see what it does. if you don't mind, could you try different "larger centers" with different sized holes in the center of them, and/or multiple smaller holes around a center hub as i suggested from my earlier post.

it would be much appreciated.

i plan on tryin to assemble one in the near future.

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-04-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
good deal!

i have not assembled one yet, but it just looked to reason that one could slow the rate of burn and intensity of the flame that way. if you get a chance, would you make another "larger center" and cut a smaller hole in it's center and see what it does. if you don't mind, could you try different "larger centers" with different sized holes in the center of them, and/or multiple smaller holes around a center hub as i suggested from my earlier post.

it would be much appreciated.

i plan on tryin to assemble one in the near future.
Will do this one just had one single hole in it about 1/16"
. I will cut one with a 1/2" hole and go from there. If u use steel wool as wick or copper scrub pad material so it won't rust it shouldn't be a problem with running too rich. The lantern wick material just pulls so much more fuel and because of this it doesn't burn as hot

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-04-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #14

Update , I put the center in and it still feeds too rich . I dont recommend the cloth type lantern wicks. I suggest using the copper scrub pads for wicking material , rust resistant, and it will do the same job as the steel wool only last longer