Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > back packing stoves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Default back packing stoves

I used to have a MSR a long time ago and it always gave me problems, This was before the self cleaning jet age . so I sold it shortly after I got it . Anyway just getting back into bail out mode and looking for another stove , I would like it to be a multi fuel stove . I do still have my trusty ol back up which is a home made jobby, " jet stove" , now called the super cat on the I net . I can burn denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol 91% , and Heet in it without issues . Boils rougly 2 cups of water in a little over 4 min . I would like another commercial stove that will work equal or better than my Jet stove and work well with the same fuels, White gas is ok but I cant use this in my home made stove and I would like them to both be capatable as much as possible , I still have my old alum fuel bottles so packing fuel isnt a problem . Keep me light weight , small and fuel capatable for my needs .
Thanks,
PH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1129 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 528

There will be a lot of brands of gas stoves thrown at a question like this, but unless you can fiel a stove with even stuff you fin on the ground, you are shackled to a fossil fuel or processed fuel. I'd like to suggest something like this link for true preparedness. Please read the short paragraph with it.

http://www.littlbug.com/

This is not mine and I do not profit from its sale in any way.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
There will be a lot of brands of gas stoves thrown at a question like this, but unless you can fiel a stove with even stuff you fin on the ground, you are shackled to a fossil fuel or processed fuel. I'd like to suggest something like this link for true preparedness. Please read the short paragraph with it.

http://www.littlbug.com/

This is not mine and I do not profit from its sale in any way.
Very nice , I have seen similar versions of this but not this particular brand , Something like this would be great because if there is wet wood and leaves , alcohol could still be used .
Thanks

Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #4

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Very nice , I have seen similar versions of this but not this particular brand , Something like this would be great because if there is wet wood and leaves , alcohol could still be used .
Thanks

you'll definitely like this link and youtube vid then. a little long, but it shows how to build a jet stove out of materials you prolly have around your house...........called a "hoop stove."

and the BOIL TEST:

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 08-18-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
you'll definitely like this link and youtube vid then. a little long, but it shows how to build a jet stove out of materials you prolly have around your house...........called a "hoop stove."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWaZ96zYVvQ&feature=related

and the BOIL TEST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MCZ-s86zG8&feature=fvwrel
I have one of these in the works as we speak , I had most of the stuff to do it besides the up draft tubes and the JB weld , I had some wicking material , circle cutters , cans , stainless steel spokes for the legs , etc
I cant wait to get it finished and try it , However its very ingeneous but I dont think it will boil water near as quick as the cat stove , but it will burn longer and has a more controlled flame and I believe it will burn less fuel . very portable ,quicker warm up to full burn and more durable . it will have its advantages for sure , now someone needs to come up with a way to control the flame up and down

Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have built 3 of these and Carbon wick wasnt available locally so I went with a regular oil lantern type wick , It works but it soaks up alot of fuel and makes it burn really rich which you can see from the orange flame however this stove fires up and has almost instant flame out of the jet holes , the other 2 are from full size alum cans and I used steel wool for wicking which works much better and doesnt allow it to run so rich , all of them will boil 2 cups of water is rougly 4 minutes which is outstanding and the leaner they burn the harder it is to see any flame also keeps your cookware cleaner . I have also found that straight holes produce a tighter flame pattern if your using smaller cookware

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-31-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 993

I make something similar, a bit more archaic than the hoop stove,but it does work very well. Its called as Penny Stove, based on a aluminum can conversion or KIWI tin con verstion, plenty of HOW TO'S on Youtube
ST~

Become steel or get cut.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-550

This is the one I like

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I have built 3 of these and Carbon wick wasnt available locally so I went with a regular oil lantern type wick , It works but it soaks up alot of fuel and makes it burn really rich which you can see from the orange flame however this stove fires up and has almost instant flame out of the jet holes , the other 2 are from full size alum cans and I used steel wool for wicking which works much better and doesnt allow it to run so rich , all of them will boil 2 cups of water is rougly 4 minutes which is outstanding and the leaner they burn the harder it is to see any flame also keeps your cookware cleaner . I have also found that straight holes produce a tighter flame pattern if your using smaller cookware

the orange, tall flame on the left, is the lantern wick???

i would suspect that you could leave a small lip on the outer edge of the center opening to receive a piece of round (a size that's a lil larger than the center opening), flat (or convex, or concave up ) aluminum with a hole in the center to "regulate" your flame. just make multiple "regulator caps" with various hole sizes in each. that way you can constrict the amount of burn and the size of the flame. u can even cut or punch, maybe, pencil-sized holes (or smaller) around a center hub instead of a center hole.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #10

Liked 269 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The MSR Dragonfly multi fuel back pack stove has worked very well for me over the last several years.

http://www.rei.com/product/709002/msr-dragonfly-backpacking-stove