Back to Eden Garden?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Back to Eden Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1948 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4362

Default Back to Eden Garden?

I just saw a video on the Back to Eden garden and thought it was great. So has anyone actually tried that method?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10551 Times on 4557 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Nice video. Not the best gardening advice. Wood chips lack nitrogen- they actually pull some nitrogen out of the soil. pH is around 5.5- 6.0. For neutral soil and acid loving plants, that's good- but soil here is already acid.

We are pretty much organic gardeners- we run a hellacious compost pile- leaves (for carbon) and grass cuttings (nitrogen). When it gets to cooking, it is about 160 degrees. Heat kills most weed seeds.

Chips make good mulch, and retain moisture, but encourage growth of fungus. Some plants don't like fungi.

Over the years we have built about a foot of good topsoil in our garden areas, mulch the heck out of our plants, have very few weeds. We add limestone for pH control and calcium. Without it, you will learn about blossom end rot on tomatoes.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1948 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4362

I saw a video of a garden tour for the guy that came up with it. I noticed he had a ton (and I mean a ton literally) of compost in his chicken coup that he added to everything. He's also at a higher altitude than most and I'm sure that's a factor for things like limiting fungus and termites (too many wood chips can create a termite problem). But then again termites might be ok so long as they are far enough away from any structures like your house or barn?

C3, I think you have the right idea with the compost as opposed to all those wood chips.

On a side note, everyone should be careful with mulch built up too high around the base of trees. It starves the shallow roots of oxygen and makes the tree sprout new roots above the normal roots. Those new roots will eventually circle the tree if the compost is in a mound around the tree and eventually choke the tree. I noticed some of those shallow roots on one of this guys trees, but he had so much compost (chips) the roots were free to run out from his trees.