Anyone make your own water distiller? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Anyone make your own water distiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

A common misconception in distilling is that a liquid composed of different substances with different boiling points will all boil at their exact boiling points. Lets say you have water contaminated with 10% alcohol (Oh NO!). Water boils at 212F, ethanol at 172F and methanol at 149F. But when you run this contaminated water through your still the temperature stays steady at 175F at the first step. What has happened is that your methanol is boiling off first for the most part but it's taking some ethanol and water with it. Everything mixes together and blends, stilling is the process of separating those substances but it's not perfect and might require multiple runs depending on the type of still involved.

If you want to spend a few bucks. Get a reflux still as this will operate with the most efficiency. If you want to spend less but have a dedicated still go pot still. If you want to be really cheap you can actually distill using 2 pots of different sizes with a large lid. They also make residential water distillers for under $200 that run on electricity and will make a couple gallons a day.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 04-11-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #12

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I built one today that looks a lot like the picture. But all the steam escapes through the lid, as if it's not on tight. But, I don't want the thing to achieve low Earth orbit. I wonder if I used too small of a size for the copper tubing??

12FRETTER

Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
I built one today that looks a lot like the picture. But all the steam escapes through the lid, as if it's not on tight. But, I don't want the thing to achieve low Earth orbit. I wonder if I used too small of a size for the copper tubing??
Distilling water is safer than distilling other things (depending on the makeup of your water source) but there are still dangers involved when you are talking about heat and pressure and open flames. The steam is taking the path of least resistance. You can try to create a better seal on the lid but if your tubing is to small you could over pressurize the system and have a blowout, most likely at a seal on the lid or on the connection from the lid to the tubing. Also if you are soldering copper or anything make sure you use solder that is designed for use in water pipes or food, avoid lead.

Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 04-11-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #14

Default Distilling

I use a preasure cooker with a piece of automotive vacuum hose to attach a 6' 1/8 ID copper tubing. I use to make my own drink. It really works great.. Only pure alcahol comes out, or in this case only clear distilled water.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #15

You should be careful with the materials you choose. Automotive hoses are not rated for this type of use and could leech plastics or chemicals in the hose into the product.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #16

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizy View Post
I use a preasure cooker with a piece of automotive vacuum hose to attach a 6' 1/8 ID copper tubing. I use to make my own drink. It really works great.. Only pure alcahol comes out, or in this case only clear distilled water.
EIGHTH inch id? How in the world did you get that to work? I'm using quarter inch ID now and I haven't gotten a single drip out of it. I'm afraid to seal the top completely because it just seems there is no way the steam wants to go down that little tube, and it will explode. I was going to try a much bigger ID but if you're getting it to work with eighth inch, it can't be that.

12FRETTER

Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #17

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The thing should hold 5#. I never thought of the pressure cooker, I could get one of those at a garage sale!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #18

Default Moonshine

People have been distilling alcahol this way for 100s of years. I know it works for a fact. The preasure cooker, vacuum hose and 1/8 copper tubing I have used many, many times in the 70s and 80s to make my own drink.

The old timers in the woods didn't have automotive hose to use for the connection, they just used a copper pipe..

Check out this video on youtube.com

When distilling water in this manner it is completely safe. Some times people are afraid to use old time methods because their mind has been "WALMARTED"..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #19

If your going to go into the woods for a few days, why bother lugging a water distiller which is just more weight.
Have you given any thought to using charcoal granuals, as used in the food industry?.
Just get an ordinary plastic 2 ltr bottle, fill with the charcoal, drill a small hole in one side,about an inch from the bottom, fill with the pond water and drain it into another container. do this 2 or 3 times, and the water should be drinkable, was the last time I did it, but will admit, there must be a limit as to just how "Filthy " the water is your trying to purify.

WE have a very good magazine over here called simply, "BUSHCRAFT" a very good read, and contains words of wisdom you could survive in any situation in.
Travel lighter, run faster!!

Jungleman.

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.

Last edited by jungleman; 04-20-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #20

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
If your going to go into the woods for a few days, why bother lugging a water distiller which is just more weight.
Have you given any thought to using charcoal granuals, as used in the food industry?.
Just get an ordinary plastic 2 ltr bottle, fill with the charcoal, drill a small hole in one side,about an inch from the bottom, fill with the pond water and drain it into another container. do this 2 or 3 times, and the water should be drinkable, was the last time I did it, but will admit, there must be a limit as to just how "Filthy " the water is your trying to purify.

WE have a very good magazine over here called simply, "BUSHCRAFT" a very good read, and contains words of wisdom you could survive in any situation in.
Travel lighter, run faster!!

Jungleman.

I use one of these for extended backpacking trips.

http://www.rei.com/product/695265/msr-miniworks-ex-water-filter

177.jpg

Also pictured here is the iodine tabs and neutralizer to get viriuses out first.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-20-2011 at 09:34 PM.