Any truth behind zero point energy? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Any truth behind zero point energy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default My job

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
So have you got any good stories to tell us?
Sorry for the delayed response but I am not much of a web junkie. I get to the site every week or so.

Actually what we do is relatively boring for a good reason. We all want to go home with all of our body parts in good working order. Things tend to be well planned.

One thing this forum may find interesting is a standard test for material used in coastal areas following the Miami Dade code. To assess compliance to minimum safety levels, we shoot an 8 ft 2x4 at 55 mph into the product or system in question. Bounces off some things, goes right through other stuff. I don't know what caliber a 2x4 is but the test is a lot of fun. The bounce back is the one you worry about.

Fire tests are usually boring too - until something goes wrong. Never life threatening (safety precautions driven by paranioa are really just self preservation) but unexpected burn through or structural collape can make you pucker up a bit. Wet concrete is a big fear. Water turns to steam with no where and the stuff just explodes. Foam plastic insulation is just plain nasty.

To be honest, after a while, boring because of good planning becomes perfectly comfortable.

Last edited by Nomad 1; 02-16-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: missed word

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I guess that'll explain the lack of a working website.
The website does work.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #13

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

the closest that i've seen is in sea water.

supposedly 1 gallon of sea water has enough deuterium (referred to as heavy water) to give off 30 times more energy than is put into it. the water is not radioactive and is fairly harmless (in small doses).

saw it yesterday, or tuesday on Modern Marvels on the History Channel - "Modern Doomsday Devices" was the title..........i think (something dealing with an apocolypse).

anywho, a laser is used to excite the deuterium (i don't know if it has been extracted and purified or not), but it gives off 30 times the amount of energy it takes to put into it. i don't remember how many joules/kilojoules was given off, but it's something like 200 - 300 gallons of gasoline energy.

the kick in the pants is free neutrons spinning off to either form a stable product with a known, introduced substance, or the neutron combines with the reactor wall to form a radioactive product, or both.

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #14

Default deuterium

The post above brings up a topic that is often understood. One quest in the generation of useful energy is nuclear fusion. This is the process of forcing two lighter atoms into one heavier atom. The byproduct is just slightly lower in mass than the sum of the mass of the two lighter atoms. This does not happen in what we would consider normal conditions. It takes a tremendous amount of force to bring this about.

This is the source of energy in our sun. We have been able to produce the fusion of hydrogen into helium in the lab but it has always taken more energy to produce the reaction than was derived from the reaction. Basically it is hard to compete with the sun. Anyway, there is some very promising research in this area.

https://lasers.llnl.gov/programs/nic/

Where does the energycome from? The mass loss in going from deuterium to helium. You are not getting something from nothing. This is the e= mc^2 equation that gave us the atomic bomb - the fuel is mass being converted to energy.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #15
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13072 Times on 5574 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

Nomad- last year I visited a research facility at their request- they perform a LOT of varied research- and were looking at a project that would involve one of their labs, and high explosives (ND testing). They wanted a worst case scenario. Took measurements on lab, measured venting points (windows, ceiling panels, doors), sat down, ran the math- Said something like "Yeah, that'll do it." They were all smiles- so the assessment looked good?
"Yep- accidental detonation of the amount of product you want to use, overpressure will only kill all the staff in this one lab. Other labs should be OK. Insufficent pressure wave release."

They turned white. And quickly decided to use a different setup. Just had to explain it to them.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #16

Default Certainty

C3,

That's a funny story. I guess you want to make sure you got the objective correct before you right the spec.

We did some shock tube testing a few years back. It is a controlled explosion. Simple in concept but you take a day or so to build something you destroy in milliseconds. Thank God for high speed photography.

There is an anecdotal story about the design of the 747. The surveyed each team to see how confident they were in their work. If they were sure, they were told that the would get to ride in the first flight. The landing gear team thought about it and then asked for one more chance to check the data.

Last edited by Nomad 1; 02-21-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo