Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Any ideas on disabling your firearm in shtf scenerio so it would be useless (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/any-ideas-disabling-your-firearm-shtf-scenerio-so-would-useless-76923/)

downsouth 11-23-2012 02:53 PM

Any ideas on disabling your firearm in shtf scenerio so it would be useless

Is there such a critter as a thermite bullet that would just melt the damn thing down, or something similar. I would hate my gun to be used against good people by bad guys if I had to make the last stand. Ideas anyone ?

HOSSFLY 11-23-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 1024343)
Is there such a critter as a thermite bullet that would just melt the damn thing down, or something similar. I would hate my gun to be used against good people by bad guys if I had to make the last stand. Ideas anyone ?

Only in Hollyweird :o
Just keep a sledge hammer around---One wack in the right place ;)

Mosin 11-23-2012 03:08 PM

I read a book about Navy SEALs in Vietnam, and the author claims they would leave partial magazines at firefights, and some of the bullets would be filled with an explosive instead of powder. Said he saw a Vietcong pick up a rifle, aim, and it blew up in his face.

HOSSFLY 11-23-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1024350)
I read a book about Navy SEALs in Vietnam, and the author claims they would leave partial magazines at firefights, and some of the bullets would be filled with an explosive instead of powder. Said he saw a Vietcong pick up a rifle, aim, and it blew up in his face.

Well, not going to comment on that BUT you cud just fill a few cases FULL of powder & leave a couple in watever gun you had to leave :eek:

willfully armed 11-23-2012 03:34 PM

Just imagine a rifle case loaded to the brim with H110.

TLuker 11-24-2012 12:04 AM

Just jab the muzzle in the ground and wipe away any traces of mud on the outside.

25-5 11-24-2012 12:15 AM

The slide, cylinder, bolt, or any part can easily be removed. No innocent could be hurt. You could keep for your return or discard.
Me, I'am taking everything. Don't know how, but, that's what I plan.

trip286 11-24-2012 12:16 AM

Ya mean, like a quick and efficient way to disable it upon death?

A noble and novel idea, but you're gonna be dead, therefore, you really ain't gonna care at that point.

Sorry buddy, I can't think of anything. Even if I could, what if you're lucky and you die quick, like from a head shot? No time to do anything then...

Maybe if you can pull the firing pin and a few other small parts real fast and throw them out into some tall grass. But short of utter destruction, I can't think of anything that can be done quick and not repaired later.

clr8ter 11-24-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

leave partial magazines at firefights, and some of the bullets would be filled with an explosive instead of powder. Said he saw a Vietcong pick up a rifle, aim, and it blew up in his face.
I heard the same thing. Practically speaking, the sledgehammer idea is probably better. Alternatively, you could rig the house to burn, that'd take care of more than one problem.......:)

c3shooter 11-24-2012 12:32 AM

Well, if it is a Glock, drop it on any hard surface............

:D Yeah, I know, but could not resist!

Seriously, field expedient destruction depends on the weapon. AR? Retract bolt, place butt on ground, muzzle on any solid object a foot high, stomp on the ejection port with your full weight.

Mosin-Nagant- same technique, but instead of stomping, drive main battle tank over the receiver. Several times.