Originally Posted by Cory2
All I can say is you arent going to be the only person thinking about "borrowing" medication from a pharmacy in a shtf scenario. What i would suggest is becoming intimately familiar with what certain molds look like... i.e. penicilium. you CAN eat this particular mold and it will have the effect (to a lesser degree) of penicillin. I tried to find a picture on the interwebz but i was unable to do so but basicly it is kinda tan colored and looks smooth.... well that doesnt help much. Find some pics on the web or at your local library and memorize what it looks like it just might save your life some day.
p.s. They discovered penicillin when doctors noticed a patient who had eaten (cant remember what kind of food it was but i think it was cheese) with mold on it miraculously get better from his current sickness he had before and they connected the dots. So it does work... probably wont taste the best though
1. penicillin is a lite blue/green mold.
2. While using mold dates back to the middle ages, nobody really understood what was happening. The initial discovery was not in a patient but rather a petri dish. A plated culture of Staphylococcus had been left open and become contaminated by a mold. In an area around the mold growth of the bacteria was absent.
3. You are not going to produce enough via mold to be useful. In the documented instances where moldy bread was used, it was used topically not ingested.
Edit: Didn't realize how old this was before I posted, sorry for the thread necromancy.
1776: "Then it's agreed, gentlemen, in order to secure our rights as a free people, we will risk embarrassment, imprisonment, expropriation, bankruptcy, bodily harm, exile and hanging."
2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."
Last edited by camiller; 07-25-2011 at 09:53 PM.