Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Antibiotics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Antibiotics

Where's a good place to get them without a prescription. Are they easy to make? What type of shelf life are we looking at? Can animal antibiotics be used with humans?

Simple things like antibiotics will be overlooked in the grand scheme of things when people are bugging out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #2

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Not sure about the animal ones or making them. They can be bought in Mexico pharmacies without a prescription.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Veterinary supply houses and feed stores generally have them. Most animal medications are the same stuff we humans take, but theirs are much cheaper.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Anti-botics

Hello all, RON L here

Here in WV and many other states we have a series of stoirs called "Farm and Fleet", well now called Tractor Supply and yes they stock vet meds at prices better than meds, as well syringes and other medical items! The Meds are lose to the same and for Emergency use as long as the dosages are set for humans will work just as well! Check your Local Feed or Simular Place, many Pet stores stock Anti-biotics for Fish same stuff smaller dosages! Just a few Idea's for ya all?

RON

Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Shelf life depends on the UNOPENED meds. Some are refrigerated, some dry pills.capsules, some reconstituted with water before use. As the folks have said, yes, most animal meds may be used on people in an emergency. Tractor Supply, Southern States, Farm & Feed, etc. Do some research before simply walking in and saying "I want to buy all your drugs and needles". Country folks would not be above showing you the door with an axe handle.

Question- how well do you and your doc know each other? Mine knows that I hunt and backpack remote areas. He is willing to give me a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain meds, replace every year. MOST antibiotics have a shelf life because they lose effectiveness. They are not BAD, just don't work as well.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the info and ideas! Sadly, I don't have a "friendly" doctor to give me the hook up. I think a nice variety of bug out meds is a good idea just in case.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yes but!

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I know the Meds are talking about can be had if one has a Med Friendly Doc, but if we buy Vet meds and are carefull in thise use, they stand up just as well as human meds, do, are cheaper and over the counter no paperwork assigned to gt, all facts that one should consider!

I'vve had Anti-boitics as well as pain meds for a vet source and been using them for years, I just follow the Human doses and that works! Your on your own, but I see it far better than meds from mexico that I have seen to be bad or wrong!

RON

Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Everyone saying that the animal meds are the same as human meds is absolutely correct. There is no actual drug mfr that makes "animal only" meds, especially with antibiotics. Heck, even before "designer steriods", people took anabolic 'roids that were generally used on large animals like horses and cows. Mammal is mammal.

Feed supply stores, friendly family doctors, paramedic relatives, drug company sales reps and your pet's Vet are good sources of antibiotics. Shelf life depends on the the drug itself, and just like the sell by date on many foods, you can overrun the date with relative safety. With anitbiotics, if you are way past the date, they are just not as effective as when new. Of course, I am speaking in general terms.

Over the counter topicals are a must have in any kit and they are a good first line of defense. For internal infections, depening upon whether they are viral or bacterial, those antibiotics won't do any good anyway.

Great thread!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thanks all!

Hell all, and thanks, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I thought this was indeed a great thread and thanks to all that contributed, in a world where so many want to say they know it all, glad to see some that actually do? LOL Thanks again and I look forward to other good posts here!

RON

Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

When the SHTF, my first target is the nearest pharmacy. When everyone else will be stealing Big Screen Plasma TV's and Escalades, I will be getting survival meds at the local Walgreens that is just 2 blocks from my house.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp