Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Answer some of these questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gr8oldguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 753
Liked 397 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default

I'm retired so I don't have to worry about the walk home. Enough food in the pantry for a couple of weeks. My back yard is 4 acres of wooded land and is surrounded by 1100 acres of farm land. There are plenty of rabbits, squirrels and deer. I have firearms to take small/large game. Only live about 10 min from a large creek full of fish. We have well water and a hand pump in case of power outages. It wouldn't be pretty but we would get by.

__________________

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

gr8oldguy is offline  
purehavoc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,452
Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

As stated before, my house is about 65 miles away from my office in Pittsburgh. The part that concerns me the most is getting out of Pittsburgh -- I have to cross the Ohio River, and my usual way home is up I-79. I know of two other routes, but they would add 15 -30 miles to my travel if I took them. My plan would be to travel as much as possible through the wooded areas parallel to I-79 about 30 miles, then cut off on secondary roads. But that I-79 bridge is a potential bottleneck.

My other big concern is if something like this were to happen in winter. We get a lot of snow here. Having to deal with snow/ice would add to the volume and weight of stuff I would have to carry, and would slow me down considerably. It would not be easy for me to make 65 miles in three days in okay weather; three days would be pretty near impossible for me in bad weather.

Fortunately, there is plenty of food in the house, supportive neighbors, and, while my wife is not a gun person, she does know how to load and use the .410 snake charmer I brought her before I moved up here. I think the family would be okay during the time it took me to get back.

__________________
txpossum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #43
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
As stated before, my house is about 65 miles away from my office in Pittsburgh. The part that concerns me the most is getting out of Pittsburgh -- I have to cross the Ohio River, and my usual way home is up I-79. I know of two other routes, but they would add 15 -30 miles to my travel if I took them. My plan would be to travel as much as possible through the wooded areas parallel to I-79 about 30 miles, then cut off on secondary roads. But that I-79 bridge is a potential bottleneck.

My other big concern is if something like this were to happen in winter. We get a lot of snow here. Having to deal with snow/ice would add to the volume and weight of stuff I would have to carry, and would slow me down considerably. It would not be easy for me to make 65 miles in three days in okay weather; three days would be pretty near impossible for me in bad weather.

Fortunately, there is plenty of food in the house, supportive neighbors, and, while my wife is not a gun person, she does know how to load and use the .410 snake charmer I brought her before I moved up here. I think the family would be okay during the time it took me to get back.
Tx, if I were you, I think I might seriously look into a folding bike or some other form of locomotion. It sounds like you have highways and back roads that would support such a device, it would help you handle the load and would seriously speed up your trip. It would be a long day, but even on an 18-speed bike you'd be able to cover 65 miles in less than 15 hours on mild hills and in snow. A motorized bicycle would be the best of both worlds - if SHTF is not EMP, motor will work. If it is, you still have peddle power. :-)
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,452
Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Tx, if I were you, I think I might seriously look into a folding bike or some other form of locomotion. It sounds like you have highways and back roads that would support such a device, it would help you handle the load and would seriously speed up your trip. It would be a long day, but even on an 18-speed bike you'd be able to cover 65 miles in less than 15 hours on mild hills and in snow. A motorized bicycle would be the best of both worlds - if SHTF is not EMP, motor will work. If it is, you still have peddle power. :-)
I agree completely. A folding bike would be great. I've thought of it, but it seems like there always something else to spend money on. But I need to bump it up on the priority list some.
__________________
txpossum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,354
Liked 7663 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 9880

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I agree completely. A folding bike would be great. I've thought of it, but it seems like there always something else to spend money on. But I need to bump it up on the priority list some.
Getting the bike and being able to ride it the distance are two different things. If you get it, don't just stow it in the car or at work. Ride the thing until you are able to go the distance on it.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,452
Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Oh damn. Exercise.

__________________
txpossum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #47
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum

I agree completely. A folding bike would be great. I've thought of it, but it seems like there always something else to spend money on. But I need to bump it up on the priority list some.
Here's the link to an electric-powered bike, which has the advantage over the other motors of silence. Read the reviews, as the company also sells the same bicycle in carbon fiber with a lithium battery that gives much better performance. The only drawback is that it will run you the amount of a cheap AR. The benefit is that if you're out of shape, the most you'd have to contribute is half the power to the trip. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologies-Trailz-Electric-Bicycle/dp/B004QHG17O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1373077128&sr=8-5&keywords=Bicycle+motor
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,426
Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Default

TekGreg, Havoc's premise was that an EMP had just been experienced, therefore very few electrical devices would function properly.

The grid would be down and the computer in modern vehicles would most likely be disabled.

The electric bike is a great idea for alternate transportation except that most of the rechargeable battery packs, like the one that comes with the bicycle that you suggested, will probably be toast.

Also, while it might be possible to weave your way through the disabled vehicles on the road, you might have to go off road to avoid the inevitable car accidents. The Currie Technologies bicycles and scooters were obviously designed for travel on pavement.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Montague Paratrooper folding bike. It'll cost as much as a Colt AR, but was designed for off road and carrying a bit more weight (like a grown man carrying supplies in a pack). As the name suggests, it folds so it would probably be a bit easier to put in your trunk.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #49
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
TekGreg, Havoc's premise was that an EMP had just been experienced, therefore very few electrical devices would function properly.

The grid would be down and the computer in modern vehicles would most likely be disabled.

The electric bike is a great idea for alternate transportation except that most of the rechargeable battery packs, like the one that comes with the bicycle that you suggested, will probably be toast.

Also, while it might be possible to weave your way through the disabled vehicles on the road, you might have to go off road to avoid the inevitable car accidents. The Currie Technologies bicycles and scooters were obviously designed for travel on pavement.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Montague Paratrooper folding bike. It'll cost as much as a Colt AR, but was designed for off road and carrying a bit more weight (like a grown man carrying supplies in a pack). As the name suggests, it folds so it would probably be a bit easier to put in your trunk.
Kbd, I had actually thought of your points, but figured it would be easy to store battery and motor in small Faraday cage. It is also possible, depending on distance, that bike stored in storage compartment of vehicle would be usable, as vehicle may act as Faraday cage. This bike is for roads, but TXpossum said all of his routes home were based on highways and local streets, so I specialized it. Off road tires are preferable for versatility, but would slow down any motor, and especially an electric one. I was thinking of TX's long haul of 65 miles specifically and was only recommending it for his unique problem, not general use. It hadn't occurred to me before this came up that travelling 65 miles with a gas engine might attract attention and either get the bike stolen or the owner killed. Your suggestion is better for an overall, cross country solution for the fit, especially if they would ride it two or three times a week BEFORE everything went dead! :-O B-). Sorry that I did not point out that this wasn't a good choice for everyone - thanks for the options, KBD!
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)


Last edited by TekGreg; 07-06-2013 at 06:37 AM.
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I agree completely. A folding bike would be great. I've thought of it, but it seems like there always something else to spend money on. But I need to bump it up on the priority list some.
Go with an EMP proof pre-1975 diesel pickup. If you go 4x4 get big enough tires so you won't have to worry about bottlenecks on that bridge. Maybe a mil-surp Dodge Power Wagon.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
One answer to an old problem. shadecorp Legal and Activism 2 06-16-2013 11:57 PM
One question to answer all questions... Best AR-15 with the most parts/accessories GunNut3123 AR-15 Discussion 2 09-29-2012 03:54 AM
Can someone answer this? NvRbanArms Semi-Auto Handguns 13 03-03-2012 10:44 AM
I need answer , please ? blackfire General Handgun Discussion 9 08-13-2011 08:50 PM
Can someone answer this question e_a_g_l_e_p_i The Club House 16 03-12-2009 06:39 PM