Answer some of these questions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Answer some of these questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am, however, unsure of whether it will protect sufficiently against an EMP as a Faraday Cage is not immune to the magnetic effects of such an event. I hope I never find out!
..You and me both buddy!! If an EMP is ever deployed we'll have more on all our plates than we can handle....
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 410 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 815

I have enough stuff stored to last the rest of my life.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker
I have enough stuff stored to last the rest of my life.
That could be 3 days or 50 years! LOL

Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #24

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
That could be 3 days or 50 years! LOL
Shoot!!... You beat me to it!! LOL...
Anyhoo... Storing for short term is something that everyone should do... Like having a fire extengusisher or jumper cables... But long term should depend on your ability to hunt, grow and/or gather needed supplies. I will concead that is easier said than done in Urban conditions.... Especially big cities. In that case get to know people you can trust.. Networking is important here!!

I personally plan for two scenarios... 1) Staying put and toughing it out with enough supplies for 2 to 3 months and 2) Bugging out to a safer location in a 20 minute notice window... of course, you must have a location (or 2) to go to and a reasonable way to get there. An EMP scenario can really screw that last one up... unless you have a horse.

Anyhoo (part 2)... I'm currently sitting on the porch of a rental house in Maggie Valley NC... and seriously thinking about getting some land here. Listening to the farm noises down the road, the stream across the field and watching the morning mist burning off here with my beloved dogs at my feet and a cup of coffee in my hand every morning is just HEAVEN!!!! If I lived up here full time I say BRING IT ON!! Even if I don't survive at least I'll die in my happy place!!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #25

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

This is why I through the EMP in with this , its not something thats likely to ever happen every where , but it give you something to think about . We all use our vehicles for our primary source of transportation to basically every where . Even if you have a bicycle most have no way of transporting the majority of their gear if they decided to bug out . This was intended for people that have intentions of leaving town to go to their safe place. It was also intended for people who have not done some preparing of water or food storage that think they can just jump in their car and go get food when the emergency happens . There are alot of people that have read this but did not answer . You dont need to be a hard core prepper to be " prepared " If you have not prepared yourself at all do your self a favor go to your Aldis, Costco, General Dollar , Family dollar , or what ever store and spend $50 on canned goods , canned veges, canned fruits, canned ham, tuna and chicken and $50 on water , Net time you have extra cash , buy $50 worth of dried bean and rice . That $150 worth of that stuff will take you a long long way. Its not going to go bad any time soon .I recently bought some canned hams and they were dated to 2019 , That date is a best by date its not a throw away date thats when the nutrition numbers in that can start to fall . Buy water whether its in 5 gal , 1 gal or bottles have some on hand . Figure this a person should be consuming 1 gal of water per day in normal conditions , more strenuous activity is going to require more hydration . I store this stuff in 12 gal black plastic totes on shelves with a year date tag on them ,Rice, oats, grains and beans go in sealed 5 gal buckets with o2 packs . Clean drinking water is going to be a key player in staying alive in a bad situation .
When power outages happen water systems go down , when a EMP hits backup electricity goes down , all these wells including city water systems need juice to power their well pump . Most have a water tower that stores water so if a disaster happens do what you can to get as much water saved up before it runs out .
I have a notebook of different scenarios that I have made for myself of every different thing I could come up with . Most of them are situations that if the person has prepared themselves they could make it a while without any problems . Other situations even the prepared could not dodge including myself ,
Nuc lear disaster for instance .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-01-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #26

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Keep this list handy for next time you go to the store , even if you only buy a few items and put them away your getting a start and in the long haul will pay off .

This list is not going to identify or list any foods for extended, long-term storage. These items typically have a shelf life of a few years. Although there is a place for highly long-term food storage, this article will identify and explain how to put away foods you already eat, are easy to prepare and can be acquired for very little investment.

Rice

For long term storage, it’s hard to beat a 20 pound bag of rice. Ii is one of the foundations of food storage and is very inexpensive and easy to store. Brown rice will go bad quicker than white rice but has more nutritional value than white. A meal of stir-fried canned chicken or tuna, rice and canned vegetables is a perfect survival meal, it’s easy to store and costs just a few dollars for enough to feed the whole family.

Beans

As the saying goes: “Beans, Bullets and Band-Aids”. Dried or canned beans are a great source of protein and complex carbohydrates. Like rice, they are a great side item to go with any survival meal. Always make sure to soak dried beans overnight. If you want to avoid the long prep time of dried beans, shoot for the canned variety of pinto, kidney and black beans.

Canned Vegetables

You should be eating vegetables at every meal, especially in a disaster situation. Vegetables ease digestion (which can be crucial in a disaster scenario). Canned veggies are also a great bugout food as most can be eaten without heating, or can be heated directly in the can with a small fire or survival stove.

Canned Fruit

In a disaster situation, anything that can satisfy a sweet tooth is going to be a welcome luxury. Fruits are an important part of your survival food supply for more than just creature comforts. If you have children, you should definitely have canned fruits in your preps. There is nothing quite like a sweet treat to calm down a scared child.

Canned Meats

One of the main staples of any disaster pantry, canned meat is a critical part of your survival food supply. Cans of tuna, chicken, beef or sausages (or the infamous SPAM) can be turned into delicious meals when added to a basic starch like beans or rice and a canned veggie. Canned meats are typically fully cooked as well, so in a bugout situation it makes a great quick meal. To reduce weight, try out the many varieties of meats that now come in the sealed pouches. They are similar in price to canned meats, have the same long shelf life and weigh about 1/3 of a can.

Peanut Butter

Pound for pound, peanut butter has more protein and fat than a ribeye steak and has a practically unlimited shelf life when stored correctly. As far as portability, peanut butter is about as easy as you’re going to find. There’s no cooking involved and a few spoonful’s has enough calories for a small meal in and of itself.

Salt

This is no-brainer prep. Store salt. Lots of it. Salt is miracle prep. It can help with storing meat and making your meals taste better. Salt is also necessary for our bodies to survive.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #27

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

With a river running through my Sons 400 Acer farm,bordered by nothing but forest land,Deer and other edible critters abound,my #1 concern would be keeping other people away by any means..

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #28

Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

10 mile walk home to bug in and I'm set. If I have to bug out I won't be set. Well, water filter, generator, freezer is stocked, Coleman stove, camping equipment, and several months worth of purehavocs list. Oh, and I might be able to find a bolt action .22 around here if needed

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Down and out

You’re at work and the power goes off . It’s been off for nearly 2 hrs and its getting close to going home time. So your boss tells you and your fellow coworkers to head on home , You all leave the building , get in your vehicles but it will not start . You look at your mobile phone and you have no signal , no Internet and all text messages are undeliverable . None of your fellow co-workers mobile phones have a connection and their vehicles won’t start either . You wonder around the neighborhood near your work and all stoplights are out. There are vehicles including police dept and emergency vehicles are dead in the street because they will not run. Every person that you meet ,you ask if their mobile phone is working and all replies are no. No power anywhere at any of the surrounding business’s for as far as you can see . People are standing around like they are lost.

What is your plan to get home? If you can’t get home where are you going to stay ? What is your plan and what are you going to do ?

If I'm out and about and this happens I have roughly 48 hours to get home. After that everything else becomes a non-issue.

The Walk

So you walked the 7 miles home from work. You have meet other people including strangers walking to where they live . Power has been out all the way home and not one single vehicle you have seen along your way home has been able to start or run. All power, phones and communication is down at your residence and all neighboring residences and towns .

What are your plans now that you have made it home ?

Now that I'm home I will take my meds if they're due. Next I'll probably do a load of wash and read. I always have dirty laundry, and the time spent doing that will help me think.

Day 3

Its been 3 days , nobody knows why there is no service in your area. You local grocery stores have 90% of the food goods cleaned off the shelves , you have used most of the food goods in your refrigerator / freezer and the cabinets are getting low on food . You still currently have water but you have filled up everything that you have with tap water including bath tubs sinks . How much longer can this happen you ask yourself.

What is your long term plan from here on out ?

Long term plan? I'm good for 14 days for food and limitless water. It really doesn't matter. I'll die again once my medication runs out. I'll lose my pulse then lay on the floor twitching until my defibrillator battery dies.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #30

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I work in my shop about 25 feet from my house(though I commonly hike 5 to 10 miles several times a week). We use a "community" well which has no off-grid back-up. The huge storage tank would last 24 hours or so (but would allow me to fill every container I own). Food would be fine for quite awhile. Surface water is available about 1/4 mile away. Have a large propane tank for heat/cooking. Have RV with several propane tanks and solar power for frig/freezer. Would add to food supply with cats,dogs,quail,doves,javalina,deer,antelope,horse ,donkey,cows.
If an EMP or whatever brought the grid down for an extended time (months/years) we would die like most everyone else here on this forum. But my children would likely survive(I hope).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.