Answer some of these questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Answer some of these questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Walk home. My office to the house is less than an hour.

We could probably last a few weeks. Water would be the important limiter. May try to bike to my parent's place 25 miles away in a small town before panic sets in here in the city.

Eventually, I'm screwed.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Walk home with my day bag ( firearm, first aid kit, flashlight, etc.). It's about 10 miles and would be nighttime. Get home, talk with neighbors in morning, work out what's going on. Have wood burning stove to cook with, about 2 full years of wood. If determined crisis will be longer than 2 weeks then ill grab my bow and go hunting. Woods are about 1/4 mile away. Also ocean is close and full of fish

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #13

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Get home and arm up first off I like C3s idea with the little bob in the trunk for the walk home.
Start fishing an hunting spotlighting if need be,
I could rig up a hand pump in one of our two well's
gardens, putting food in a jar and hunting smoking meat Id make a smoke house go a long ways an a flat bottom boat small enough to paddle to run my troot lines. And dont forget some good stink bait lol
A country boy can survive

Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #14

Liked 2605 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2526

I'll tie my answer in with another thread. I'd eat the neighbors horses.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Get home and arm up first off I like C3s idea with the little bob in the trunk for the walk home.
Start fishing an hunting spotlighting if need be,
I could rig up a hand pump in one of our two well's
gardens, putting food in a jar and hunting smoking meat Id make a smoke house go a long ways an a flat bottom boat small enough to paddle to run my troot lines. And dont forget some good stink bait lol
A country boy can survive
No power. Do you have a really bright whale oil lamp that would work?

Seriously though, when was the last time y'all walked the distance from your work to home? If you haven't done it in awhile you might want to start your preps right now by getting into shape for that hike. Aong the same lines, a good idea that qualifies as "prepping" would be to quit smoking, cut back on or quit drinking and get yourself into shape if you aren't already. I often see on prepper lists alcohol and tobacco, most claim it is for barter purposes but I suspect that the majority of those people are actually stocking it for their own use.

I would walk home- might take awhile depending on the circumstances. Maybe a couple of days. I should have provisions for such a hike in my vehicles, but I don't. Once home I am OK. Plenty of food and water, ways to prepare it. Plenty of choices for hunting tools. I think I'd be OK at that point.

Also, I am not sure EMP would disable electronics that are not up and running in some way. Say the radios I have are absolutely absent of all electrical current, no matter how small, when the EMP hits. Would they still be fried? Or the solar PV panels I have in dark storage. No electrons moving around there. I might be able to use the solar to power up my radios and make contact with-- who? I dunno. But I could try. Or maybe a rack of potato generators. Enough power can be made out of stuff I have lying about to get something going. I have some old cars with ignition points that I could get running (again, only if they were not running when the EMP hits). Same thing for older diesels, purely mechanical engines. You can bump start a diesel and it will run as long as you have fuel.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

If power was killed by EMP, I would realize that I had been transported into a Science Fiction movie and wait for Arnold to come save the world!

Winston Churchill

Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
If power was killed by EMP, I would realize that I had been transported into a Science Fiction movie and wait for Arnold to come save the world!
Its gonna take awhile. Arnold is busy screwing the domestic help.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #18

Liked 758 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

Default When an EMP hits....

The only electronics that might work will be those that have been encased in a faraday cage; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage ...which can easily be made at home. Put short range walkie-talkies, a crank/solar power multi-band radio, flashlights & extra batteries in it. Stocking up on ammo, food, water, gas, medical/hygene supplies and firewood is a good idea....
But the most important thing was brought up my C3... Your friends & neighbors will be the best resource you can invest in. You may think your an island... but just like other times of extreme situations... NO ONE will be able to go it alone for too long.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
power was killed by EMP, I would realize that I had been transported into a Science Fiction movie and wait for Arnold to come save the world!
Yeah everything is going to always be alright Rah! Rah!!

Once home I have been putting up food form our gardens (we have three all together) for a while. WE have a pond stocked with fish and several head of cattle and a few dozen chickens. Family here has been preparing as this is the bug out location. Most everyone on my road is family and there are only a few houses on the road. So we have taken several steps to make sure things are fine. This is rural Kentucky, spring houses are still around, smoke houses don't use electric either. The power goes out on a pretty regular basis do to whatever bad weather is going on at a given time of year and being we are not in a city we are not on the short list for repair. It has always paid to think ahead here. WE have food stored and on the hoof, in the water, and on the shelf. I have a pretty respectable stash of ammo and things to use it in.We're in a little hollow with one road in and it's not real hard to take the high ground around the place if need be. I have more than a couple springs that have always run and are easily accessible.

Country folk have a way of making sure things are OK. And as stated before, Faraday cages help keep electronics working. A little forethought goes a long way.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
The only electronics that might work will be those that have been encased in a faraday cage; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage ...which can easily be made at home. Put short range walkie-talkies, a crank/solar power multi-band radio, flashlights & extra batteries in it. Stocking up on ammo, food, water, gas, medical/hygene supplies and firewood is a good idea....
But the most important thing was brought up my C3... Your friends & neighbors will be the best resource you can invest in. You may think your an island... but just like other times of extreme situations... NO ONE will be able to go it alone for too long.
My Ham radio station equipment (known as a "shack" in the Ham community) is all housed inside a faraday cage, fully bonded and grounded and lightening protected. I am, however, unsure of whether it will protect sufficiently against an EMP as a Faraday Cage is not immune to the magnetic effects of such an event. I hope I never find out!

Quote: