Another SHTF ??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Another SHTF ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The closest I've come to a SHTF was an ice storm in '94. I was ten. The lights were out for 3 weeks. Supermarkets were closed, gas stations were shut down...
We chipped ice from any surface that collected it to melt it down for bathing and cooking. Hunted and fished for meat. We had a few Turkeys die from exposure, so that helped to. The canned veggies lasted a good while because dear old Mom believes in having plenty in stock. I learned how to play poker, blackjack and dice by candlelight (maybe my uncle wasn't the best influence...).
In the end, the power was back on for two days before we even noticed.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #12

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The closest I've come to a SHTF was an ice storm in '94. I was ten. The lights were out for 3 weeks. Supermarkets were closed, gas stations were shut down...
We chipped ice from any surface that collected it to melt it down for bathing and cooking. Hunted and fished for meat. We had a few Turkeys die from exposure, so that helped to. The canned veggies lasted a good while because dear old Mom believes in having plenty in stock. I learned how to play poker, blackjack and dice by candlelight (maybe my uncle wasn't the best influence...).
In the end, the power was back on for two days before we even noticed.
Down south you could get by....and you did. Up here, at the wrong time of year...things could get ugly real quick.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
gmaster456 Likes This 
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In no way am I concerned about a zombie outbreak. The reality is I live in a city that manufactures at least half if not all of the heavy military trucks. If someone wanted to drop a strategic bomb and shut down production and refurbishing of these vehicles it would not be far from home. I could wait out a storm or other ND... but I don't do bombs.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #14

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 921

If I told you, It wouldnt be a secret - now, would it?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3238

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKooEKoo View Post
In no way am I concerned about a zombie outbreak. The reality is I live in a city that manufactures at least half if not all of the heavy military trucks. If someone wanted to drop a strategic bomb and shut down production and refurbishing of these vehicles it would not be far from home. I could wait out a storm or other ND... but I don't do bombs.
Very few of us do bombs, especially nukes. I would guess that nukes are one thing that the overwhelming majority of us are not prepared for? They are also one of the more likely disasters that could occur.

I guess we're just more comfortable preparing for things that we can shoot? I know I am anyway.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKooEKoo
Hell I live 30 mins away from the biggest army base in the US Fort Bragg if anybody wants to start dropping bombs I feel pretty safe

Old 06-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKooEKoo View Post
When it hits are you staying home or buggin out? If youre out.... where are you going? What about your family, or are you looking out for number one? What awaits you when you get there?
Wait, another SHTF? Did I miss the last one?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #18

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

I'll just turn OFF the fan.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #19

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll stay home. Have everything I need right here. Cows, chickens, deer, rabbits, squirrels, fish in the pond, a few apple trees, peach tree, cherry tree, polk salad in the field, black berries, wild onions, water cress, well water, spring water, horses to ride, guns, guns, more guns, good home, friends down the road, family, and my Bible.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #20

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

I live im the middle of a city. If we have time, the wife/kid and I will b goin to my bro's on the outskirts. If not we will bunker down at home. Windows alrdy have bars.

When I move next year I plan on moving to the outskirts as well. Would be nice not to be in the middle of the city if SHTF