Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Annoyed by the closed-minded preppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
Since we don't know what'll happen it's best to assume no one specific thing will happen. I know of someone prepping for earthquakes, another for economic collapse, another for zombies, etc.
The CDC has a "zombie" survival guide. Its basically the same guide for any general disaster. They did it just to call more interest to "prepping" ( I still hate that term) Most preparations overlap anyway. Unless you're in a flood plain, then you defiantly need a canoe. In any case, if someone is stupid enough to ignore other viewpoints on a FORUM! then that's their problem.

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

Im always open to what I forgot or don't know or didn't think of, none of us are perfect, or we wouldn't be in this situation, I for one am glad of these sites so I can learn more, see what I forgot/didn't think of, learn from others knowledge. So keep it coming.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19553 Times on 11098 Posts
Likes Given: 49205

there is always a right way, a wrong way and a better way to do anything. preparation for a disaster is no different. a lot depends on where you live aand whether you will move out of your area if something happens, or hunker down and stay where you are. if you were to move out of your area, you are limited in waht you will be able to take. if you decide to stick it out and stay at home, then you are not nearly as limited in what you have on hand. these are just some of my opinions and thoughts on this.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #14

Prepping and Fortifying are so different. If you have to Flee- you leave behind much of your work. If you fortify to protect your preparations, then you risk a siege/stand-off/depletion scenario. Everyone loses if you use up your supplies during a siege. Still, we must Always Be Prepared as best we can within our conditions.
Emergency preparedness is still different from long-term prepping in that it is often only a temporary situation that will get better. Doomsday Prepping implies that Things will NEVER be the same afterwards. And more than likely will get much worse. All the prepping in the world only prolongs the inevitable outcome. IMO. Don't Worry, Be Happy and Aim Well!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima-Savage View Post
Prepping and Fortifying are so different. If you have to Flee- you leave behind much of your work. If you fortify to protect your preparations, then you risk a siege/stand-off/depletion scenario. Everyone loses if you use up your supplies during a siege. Still, we must Always Be Prepared as best we can within our conditions.
Emergency preparedness is still different from long-term prepping in that it is often only a temporary situation that will get better. Doomsday Prepping implies that Things will NEVER be the same afterwards. And more than likely will get much worse. All the prepping in the world only prolongs the inevitable outcome. IMO. Don't Worry, Be Happy and Aim Well!
very good point.

i dont get the people that just stock pile food and supplies but dont really rely on weapons or weapons training or stocking. such as the family with a few bolt actions and one handgun hardly classifies as "ready". I just cant contemplate how a male, in the 30 or 40's, with family, completely renders out the thought that there will be vicious horrible other males that will burn your house to the ground and will pick up what is left.

IMO hunkerdowners, fortifiers, preppers, whatever, are supply posts waiting to be found. We all have thoughts that with all my weapons sticking out the doors and windows with my large family i can hold off any savages that think they can take what is mine. but the fact is to fight a fortified position is stupid. sure you will be defensive against the mad and starving. but that group of 5 or so guys that know what they are doing know that the key to defeating a fortified enemy is not to get in, but to get them out. so unless your stocking idea is 1000 fire extinguishers, future dont look so bright.

this of course being on the practical level with the average joe. im pretty sure if you have rock and rollers or a ma duce, your situation just might be different.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum View Post

IMO hunkerdowners, fortifiers, preppers, whatever, are supply posts waiting to be found. We all have thoughts that with all my weapons sticking out the doors and windows with my large family i can hold off any savages that think they can take what is mine. but the fact is to fight a fortified position is stupid. sure you will be defensive against the mad and starving. but that group of 5 or so guys that know what they are doing know that the key to defeating a fortified enemy is not to get in, but to get them out. so unless your stocking idea is 1000 fire extinguishers, future dont look so bright.

this of course being on the practical level with the average joe. im pretty sure if you have rock and rollers or a ma duce, your situation just might be different.
I have drawn from both philosophies myself. I have enough stock pile to last where I am but I have a list of things that could get quickly piled in the car or on my back If/when I do have to flee. I'm not counting on my position to be sound in the long term. That isn't the same situation for everyone of course. A bit of situational awareness does need to factor in though. My situation calls for portability first, long term second.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I have drawn from both philosophies myself. I have enough stock pile to last where I am but I have a list of things that could get quickly piled in the car or on my back If/when I do have to flee. I'm not counting on my position to be sound in the long term. That isn't the same situation for everyone of course. A bit of situational awareness does need to factor in though. My situation calls for portability first, long term second.
indeed, i think the key to the long term survival of a SHTF situation is to keep moving, at all costs just keep moving.

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #18

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I agree with most all I 've read, so here is my opinion without trying to be too redundent. For me, prepping begins within a thought process. What is the most likely to happen and what is it I can do within my means to prepare.

What might be someone elses plan that is airtight, maybe out of my reach. I don't foresee having a fully stocked retreat in Idaho completly off the grid. What I can do is, store food and supplies that my family and I can do well for a few months. Learn some skills that will be very useful in a shtf scenerio. And probably the most important asset in a survival situation, keep a survivors outlook. I have read very little on these threads about the mindset of a survivor.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think this is a great thread.

I have a buddy that is forever trying to tell me how prepared he is. I do what I feel is best to take care of my family in any situation that I can think of he thinks because it' s not his way It's not good enough.. I'm always willing to take suggestions to better use my resources but jeez. I think he's actually hoping a doomsday shtf happens.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I have read very little on these threads about the mindset of a survivor.
cause uhh, im pretty sure it would make never fired a shot in anger or done things that had to be done people very uncomfortable. other than "hmm what would a squirrel do?" for hording techniques, to the lot of us, the survivor mindset dosent involve hiding.