Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Annoyed by the closed-minded preppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Annoyed by the closed-minded preppers

I give out advice, on this forum and others as to what I think(and I can't stress that enough that it's my OPINION) is the best idea and occasionally I let people know when I think something is a bad idea.

I've never tried to mask my own opinions as gospel nor have I made attempts to belittle most peoples ideas, just put some questions to them that I feel are important to ask before making final decisions.

The annoying part of all this is lately I've noticed a growing trend in certain, "prepper" communities that they think whatever decisions they have made are absolutely correct and there are no questions to be asked because they have made all the perfect correct decisions and can not possibly be wrong. I just as many other preppers am always open to suggestions and ideas because like I'm sure most of us believe we can't possibly think of everything by ourselves. There will always be that lingering feeling that we're FORGETTING something.

Am I really alone in this feeling of forgetfulness and am the only person who opens myself up to other ideas and the vast majority are actually the closed off do-no-wrong types?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I won't say that you're wrong. Some people are strong-headed but I wouldn't let it get to me. Each person preps as best as they think they know how, based on how they think. They must believe that they are right - because if they didn't then they wouldn't have done it that way; plus one must have faith in ones plan if they want that plan to work. It's sort of like a placebo, or a self-fulfilling prophecy, by thinking they're going to be okay and that they're covered, they can live their lives in peace.

Don't let anyone else get to you, the point of the forum is that you give your opinion as best you can and maybe you learn some ideas from others. People don't have to like your ideas, and you don't have to like theirs. Now, would it be nice if people opened up more instead of saying "no you're wrong"? yes it would. Would it be nice if some people had more tact, again yes. But for every one person who is a jerk, there are dozens who read your posts and agree, or say nothing, or are nice people. So don't let the few affect you.

Does it even matter what others think of your plan? So what if they don't agree? Like I said, the point is to discuss, and learn as best as you can. Don't worry if other people do things differently - even if you think its stupid. I can't believe anyone would buy zombie-bullets (look it up) or "tactical bacon", but there's a market for both. I could go on, but I'd be repeating myself. Point is, don't worry about what others are doing - worry about yourself, give the best advice you can, and someone will be reading it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good Points, I guess it's just that I have learned so much from others and can't imagine shutting off other peoples input that it just perplexes me when others do it.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20037 Times on 11395 Posts
Likes Given: 50555

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
Good Points, I guess it's just that I have learned so much from others and can't imagine shutting off other peoples input that it just perplexes me when others do it.
everyones ideas of preparations will be different as eveyones situation and environment will be different. what works for one may not be the best for someone else. doesn't mean your wrong and they're right, just different needs and situation. some ideas are universal and needed by anyone, such as, food, water, shelter, ect. if they happen to be close minded, then so be it. might be their loss or the difference between their survival. so be it.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

IMO, the point to prepping is to cover yourself as much as possible. If someone sees a weakness in my preps and tells me about it, I'm grateful.

On the other hand, if someone says "this one <gun/knife/fire making kit/water purifier/whatever> is all you will ever need and if you disagree you're an idiot because I'm a Super Genius with years of experience", I'm not very inclined to listen to that person for obvious reasons.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Closed minded, stubborn, hard headed, steadfast beliefs are not all the same thing as we know. How many times have “we” gotten into a debate over something for instance, .308 VS. 7.62, are the (going on right now “the Red Jacket banter back and forth? The list goes on………
we all seem to do it from time to time.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 03-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I used to post on a prepper site mostly for the firearms talk. :P

Anyway... there was a post on what SHTF rifle was each specific persons choice and why. I choose my 30-30 since I needed less powder to shoot as far as I felt I was proficient at with all of my rifles. I could scrounge ammo from any 30 cal using the components, and my family and friends could use my 30-06s.

Well there was this AK guy that would not let that stand! I was hounded for days, it could have been weeks.

So now if I post to those kind of threads, I unsubscribe forthwith!

*unsubscribes*

Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

None of us have been through a worst case SHTF situation so none of us can know what to expect. Its all opinion and guessing. All we can do is accept that we don't know for certain what would be the best plan and then plan accordingly. In other words be ready to change our plan if need be and adapt to the situation at hand. Absolute certainty doesn't go very well with adaptation, and therefore limits ones ability to truly be prepared.

"Those that think they know it all really annoy those of us that do."

Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Since we don't know what'll happen it's best to assume no one specific thing will happen. I know of someone prepping for earthquakes, another for economic collapse, another for zombies, etc.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #10

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

It really doesn't matter what you are talking about, anyone with a closed mind will only hurt themselves.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.