"American Blackout" on Nat. Geo.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "American Blackout" on Nat. Geo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3150 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default "American Blackout" on Nat. Geo.

It is an interesting portrayal of a grid down situation across the U.S. One of the things I've been watching for is the role of firearms in the show. The 1st sidearm made it's debut in the 48th minute.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #2

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Definitely a different kind of show for sure. Makes you think...

Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I watched part of it but got disinterested when I noticed way too few people wandering around populated areas. The peopel in what looked to be an industrial park seemed all alone. There would have been some serious looting going on there I would imagine.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3150 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

After watching the entire 2 hr. show, I was very disappointed. I know that Discovery Communications is a mainstream media outlet, but they definitely vanilla coated almost the entire ordeal.

And of course, the electricity ended up coming back on and "they lived happily ever after!"

Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
After watching the entire 2 hr. show, I was very disappointed. I know that Discovery Communications is a mainstream media outlet, but they definitely vanilla coated almost the entire ordeal.

And of course, the electricity ended up coming back on and "they lived happily ever after!"
Thats the sad part, it needs to stay off till 90% of the people die off.................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Liked 307 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Lots of points to be made about the direction NG took with the program, but it will promote some awareness and that is a positive. Not everyone who stores food and supplies away is a hillbilly nutter.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wasn't to bad definitely gives a Lil taste of what could happen if the lights go out for longer then a few days.

Just doesn't take it to far into what I call the dirty side of a bad situation.

Think it was just to make people somewhat aware of a potential disaster.

My 2¢

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 10-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I watched it beginning to end and for what it was, all in all it wasn't bad.

That being said I think there were some good and some bad points. On one hand it highlighted how quickly things could change for the worse, or better.

In my opinion the time line wasn't that great. For the people in the burbs I do see 3 maybe 5 days before they really feel it, but the urban centers will be in chaos by then probably day 2 or 3. I would also have to guess that NG made it a happy ending, but in all likelihood any grid down situation would last significantly longer than they said (10 day if I remember correctly).

Hopefully even this fairy tale ending story will raise awareness of our dependence on such a fragile system, be it due to cyberattack or, in my opinion a more likely event, a grid down due to economic reasons.

Just my opinion

Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 527

After Ike, the lights were off for about a month where I live in Houston.

Shockingly, the world didn't end and the vast majority of the people living here were civil towards each other and carried on as best they could. The hurricane left an absolute mess, but the folks from the neighborhood eventually came out and helped clean up the mess, although everyone watched me drag all the limbs out of the street from their doorsteps on our block except for one of my neighbors who came out to help me. I removed the branches because I wanted to be sure that ambulances and fire trucks could traverse our block because we have some elderly and infirm people on our block.

For about a good two months afterwards all you heard day, and sometimes even at night, were chainsaws. After that I bought a chainsaw. Using a hand saw started to become a PITA, even though it works without gas or electricity.

Of course the crime increased, primarily in areas where it was already a significant problem. I have a family friend who works for HPD and he said the officers who came from Austin to help were shocked by what they saw, but it's pretty normal for Houston.

That said, it was largely a case of using candles and lanterns, opening all the windows (cause it's hot in Texas), and eating canned food and instant noodles.

As a child, we used to go up to Ft. Worth to visit our grandparents. I don't think they ever had A/C and they lived into their 80's, so the lights going out isn't the end of the world. I can't speak for others, but I think I would spend my time working to get them turned back on.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #10

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

I would like to see the show. Although I don't see the point. 10 days? That's it? Like KBD says, we have had instances around here where in certain areas, the power went out for closer to a month. Oh, wait, did the power go out in THE WHOLE COUNTRY in the show? Maybe that would be different.....