Am i ready to take a deer with my bow?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Am i ready to take a deer with my bow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Am i ready to take a deer with my bow?

Was practicing with my recurve today, after some trial and error I found where to hold my bow on the target at 20 yards to hit the bullseye or the red right above it. My worst misses with the blue and black portions of the target which is a standard round target.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Without actually seeing a target it is tough to tell. Only you can really answer the question.
Can you hit the target from different distances, angles, elevations?
Can you stalk deer and keep the wind to your back?
There are an endless array of variables when it comes to hunting. Shot placement is only half the job.

I don't need No stinking signature.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Without actually seeing a target it is tough to tell. Only you can really answer the question. Can you hit the target from different distances, angles, elevations? Can you stalk deer and keep the wind to your back? There are an endless array of variables when it comes to hunting. Shot placement is only half the job.
I should have made the question clearer. I'm more concerned with maiming a deer. Can I stalk? Not sure. Can I keep all the stuff like wind in mind? Not sure. I'm just hoping that if I do spot one at 10-20 yards I can take it without giving it undue pain.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Can you hit the target from different distances, angles, elevations?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 1835 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

I have a compound bow that my wife bought at a yard sale for $15. Now $80 later I have installed a new string, sights and arrow rest. I took it out today for the first time. I do not have a release. I actually used my fingers. I shot at 15 yards. First three arrows were bulls eyes or close to it. I was feeling like Robin Hood. Then I set the target out to about 30 yards. Never hit it again and lost one of my arrows. Now feeling like Robin Hood's blind uncle. I hope you are better than me. I think you need to be able to shoot further than 20 yards to be an effective hunter. I will be buying a release and getting more practice.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #6

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Op, rule of thumb is being able to consistently hit a paper plate. That is roughly the size of the heart/lung area on an average sized deer. For example, if you can keep your groups there at 20 yards but not 30, hunt and don't shoot past 20 yards. Basically, hunt within your abilities.

Study up on the deer quartering towards and away from you.

Make sure your broadheads fly the same as your field points.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 2465

I have taken deer with a bow but I no longer hunt with one. It's just to easy to make a bad shot even after you get really good with the bow. I finally just decided to wait until muzzle loader season and put the bow up. For me it's just not worth taking the chance on wounding one. Unfortunately that's just part of bow hunting. But practice does make a big difference and Mountainman13 had some great advice. Practice, practice, and practice some more and do it in different settings. It would also be great if you could get a 3d target. That really makes you think about the angles and helps with guessing yardages because it gives you a standard size for reference that is close to the size of the deer.

As for the wind, always make sure it's in your face.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #8

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

What pound is your bow? I know next to nothing about bow hunting but the draw weight of the bow has to be high enough to kill deer. I hunt with a cross bow only to take advantage of Sunday hunting here in NC. I wish we had any any weapons thing going here. i like to DRT my deer with a rifle.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

You need to practice range estimation at unknown distance. Its easy to pace off even 100 yards with a compound bow and sights and stack arrows. The deer isn't going to let you pace off and measure.

I built myself a target hanger with outdoor decking 4x4's on wheels that I can easily move around my backyard to simulate different firing problems.

I use a longbow no sights or gimmicks just a stick string and arrow type setup.

Its more important to know how your bow shoots and what your limits are. I highly recommend shooting unknown distance from odd angles. Once you master that your ready.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #10

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Some sage advice here...
I'll add a few things.

Hit something the size of a pie plate consistently at the distance you're looking for.

Practice with the types of arrows you intend to use. Broad heads fly differently than practice tips.

Don't worry about causing pain (unless you really mess up and hit its leg). Heart/lung area, I've seen deer get hit, run 50 or so yards and start eating again before they laid down.

Watch bowhunting videos, mimic the pro's, and they give away great advice for free.

If you're not using a stand, use one. Bow hunting is hard enough as it is, forget not using one (IMHO).

Learn your prey!!!!!! Seriously, NOTHING is more frustrating than watching a nice deer hang out just outside where you can hit it, and they seem to LOVE doing that.
Learn where and when they like to rub, where their trails are, how to connect trails to water/food source.
learn their rutting patterns, how they behave during certain weather, learn to stay out of their bedding areas.
Seriously, these things are super smart. You need to become a whitetail expert to bow hunt successfully, otherwise, you're gonna go out a season, get cold and wet and get no deer and hate the sport. It took me 3 years of bowhunting maine before I got my first whitetail, and I read every book and watched bowhunting videos as much as I could.

Learn patience. Seriously. For me it was hard. If you hit a deer, even if you see it fall down and lay there. Keep your mouth shut, and don't go after it for at least 30 minutes. Deer have the power of resurrection, and will jump up and run all day even if they've been hit in the heart. Don't give it a reason to run....WAIT. 30. MINUTES.

Don't put your eye out with that thing.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...