Almost Forgotten Skills - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Almost Forgotten Skills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I could imagine knowing how to make a well and pump water as our pioneer ancestors did as being extremely useful.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 2465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I could imagine knowing how to make a well and pump water as our pioneer ancestors did as being extremely useful.
Shovel and pick!!!

I'm just guessing on this part, but all of the really old wells in this area are lined with quartz rock to keep the walls from collapsing. I'm guessing they had a way of placing the quartz as they dug down rather than working from the bottom up after they dug the well? There would have been too much danger of cave ins if they placed the quartz after digging the well. I'm just not sure exactly how they did it?

I'm also guessing the real trick was to know where to dig the well in the first place? Imagine doing all that and never hitting water!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #63
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

T- hate to break it to you, bro, but that rock lined hand dug well IS rocked from the bottom up! Damned skippy it is dangerous!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #64

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

From the bottom up? Holy smokes, my well is nearly 200 feet deep to hit water.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #65

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ya gravity is a small issue starting from the top

Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #66

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

They used to find water by "witching". It works too. All it required was a tree branch with a fork, small branch and when it bent down there you dug the well. A guy used this method, except with a coat hanger to find a water line on my place. It worked perfect.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #67

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
They used to find water by "witching". It works too. All it required was a tree branch with a fork, small branch and when it bent down there you dug the well. A guy used this method, except with a coat hanger to find a water line on my place. It worked perfect.
I have used it with two locating flags bent at a right angle to find utiilities when there was no wire in the ground. Mixed results for me because it worked on any ditch line. I was looking for a gas line and it may pick up cable.

NEVER FORGET

Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #68

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Very True...

I did not believe it until an uncle had me try it at the end of his driveway where he new the water line ran...and it worked!

Tack

Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #69
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Very True...

I did not believe it until an uncle had me try it at the end of his driveway where he new the water line ran...and it worked!

Tack
Given half of a chance, many "old wives tales" have a basis in truth and are either partially or fully true. We will have to go back to the old ways if we are expected to survive in a SHTF or EOTWAWKI scenario.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #70
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

One of the key bits of hardware for the homestead was a large cast iron pot, with legs so that a fire could be built under it. At different times it was used to render fat into lard, to make soap, boil laundry, or make Brunswick stew or apple butter.
C3, I actually saw these for sale, but I assumed it wouldn't be safe to make soap in the same kettle as you cook stew, unless the lye adds flavor! Is it safe to use the same pot for everything?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)