Ak-47 or ar-15 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Ak-47 or ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
mcb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bkt gave the best possible advice.

The AK vs AR threads and the Glock vs 1911 threads usually turn into a fanboy pi$$ing contest.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #12

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Down...;
Sorry I don't follow your point and it's the first time I recall ever seeing this benefit attributed to an AK type. HOW/WHY is it grabbier-to-go than an AR (or Mini-14 for that matter)? I'm not sure the latter requires a battery or flashlight to operate or if I'd describe your opinion as humble...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-08-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Wow. I did not know my AR was battery powered. There must be C cells in the buffer tube. Now I am going to have to get spare batteries. That means more weight to carry. Why didnt you AR experts tell me about this? Do AK's have a wind up key so they dont need batteries?
I am not in a bug out position so I dont have a weight issue to worry about. I have an AR and a Mini 30. No AK. To me a lot would depend on the number of people in the family. I would expect everyone capable of carrying something would. If there is a good sized dog involved, get a pack for it. For my wife and I it would probably be the AR and a 22lr if it were necessary or possible to bug out. The desert town we live in is pretty isolated. If I were in a wooded area, I would prefer the Mini 30 over the AR. Go with the conditions you face and what you are most comfortable with. In a home defense position, my wife would be able to handle the AR better than the Min 30 or an AK.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 4470

I think downsouth was trying to make a very good point? The AR is obviously battle proven, but a lot of people love to add all sorts of gizmos to their AR's. There's nothing wrong with that and it's great that the AR is capable of adding so many different things to it. The problem is that a lot of those gizmos are not battle proven. Its ironic because a lot of people are going for the "tactical" look but the word "tactical" means of or on the battle front. A lot of the the things we have come to associate with "tactical" might be great in specific situations but probably aren't the best idea for a true battle front. Turning on a flashlight attached to your rifle on a battle front would likely get you killed really fast?

If shtf simple is probably going to be better but that's just my opinion. A cleaning rod attached to your rifle is probably going to be much better than a holographic sight?

The AR itself is still battle proven and none of that is meant to reflect poorly on the AR. It's not the rifles fault that so many people want to add cheap red dot sights with an attached holographic sight and a flashlight, and five other things. And of course not everyone does that, but a lot do and many of us have just come to associate all of that with the AR.

I think this also illustrates two different mind sets, low tech and simple vs high tech and complex? The AR itself would be considered high tech and complex compared to most of the other popular rifles. The gizmos attached to the AR are an extension of that high tech mind set. There is nothing wrong with high tech and in the right situation technology can offer distinct advantages. Simplicity can also offer advantages in the right situations so neither is good or bad, it's just two different mind sets and both offer advantages and disadvantages.

Just my .02
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Thank you tluker^^^^^. You expressed what I was trying to say.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Get both, that's what I did.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #17

Liked 4753 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLKmiester View Post
Get both, that's what I did.
Don't~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought two guns, and they weren't in the gun safe for like a week, and next thing I know, WHAM, now I have like 14 little guns, all huddled in there. I swear, those things breed like rabbits!
People Like This 
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #18

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Don't~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought two guns, and they weren't in the gun safe for like a week, and next thing I know, WHAM, now I have like 14 little guns, all huddled in there. I swear, those things breed like rabbits!
You got something against rabbits?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #19

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

What's wrong with that.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #20

Thank you downsouth you were one of the only ones that actually gave a actual answer. It did seem to turn in to a pi$$ing contest this is the first time iv used this forum. I was curious to see how people respond on here most were giving stupid answers just to answer. Thank you to a few of you for answering my question.

Newest Threads