Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Ak-47 or ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ak-47 or ar-15

I'm looking at buying a new rifle I'm trying to decide between an ak-47 or a AR-15. I want something that if something happens I can grab with my go bag and head out. What do you guys think between the two?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Either are very good, but they both suck. The AR is better than the AK unless the AK is better than the AR. 7.62x39 is vastly superior to 5.56 unless it's the other way 'round.

You will get endless argument and discussion on this subject. Bottom line is it doesn't really matter: they both work well and are effective in short/medium-range situations. Others will tell you there are better options out there.

What's important to you? Start from there and that will guide you to the right rifle.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
Either are very good, but they both suck. The AR is better than the AK unless the AK is better than the AR. 7.62x39 is vastly superior to 5.56 unless it's the other way 'round.

You will get endless argument and discussion on this subject. Bottom line is it doesn't really matter: they both work well and are effective in short/medium-range situations. Others will tell you there are better options out there.

What's important to you? Start from there and that will guide you to the right rifle.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Figure out what's important to you in a rifle and go from there. This has been hashed out so many times on so many forums it's not even funny. Use the search bar that's what it's there for. :-)

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So true.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Rule #1 is Avoid The Fight!

Get the AR-47. The AK-15 is accurate, inaccurate, reliable, unreliable, potent and impotent, plus, for the extra money you'll use better cartridges or have more ammo.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5115 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by archmicheal View Post
I'm looking at buying a new rifle I'm trying to decide between an ak-47 or a AR-15. I want something that if something happens I can grab with my go bag and head out. What do you guys think between the two?
i agree with bkt.

i choose the ar15 however because of weight issues. can carry more ammo for the same weight. while there are ak varients that use a lighter 5.45 round they are corrosive and introduce cleaning issues like a 762x39 does as well. when your trying to survive your going to have more than enough to do without worrying about corrosive residue rusting your gun out.

just my take on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought the best one was the RK-62?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default neither

Get a 12 gauge

Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Part of your criteria is to grab and go. That would sway me to the ak. As far as cleaning issues, there is a rod under the barrel and a place for oil and patches in the butt stock. Ak is very low tech, no batteries for sights or flaslights. Grab and go ready! IMHO

NEVER FORGET

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

I know the question was about the AK and the AR but my personal choice for a grab and go gun is the mini14. I think it's a good compromise between the AR and AK. Not quite as reliable as an AK but more accurate. Not quite as accurate as an AR but more reliable.

I think the .223 caliber is also a good compromise. It's not complete overkill on small game and can still take big game with good shot placement. The ammo is also reasonably light.

Just my .02