Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   This actually scares the hell out of me. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/actually-scares-hell-out-me-53891/)

BB98338 12-21-2011 12:38 AM

This actually scares the hell out of me.

U.S. Bio-Security Officials Sound Warning After Scientists Create Deadly New Strain of Bird Flu

Read more: U.S. Bio-Security Officials Sound Warning After Scientists Create Deadly New Strain of Bird Flu | Fox News

MrWray 12-21-2011 01:36 AM

Aaaaaaaand.... Here comes the zombies

trip286 12-21-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 656494)
Aaaaaaaand.... Here comes the zombies

Interesting considering the CDC's site has tips for Zombie survival....

TLuker 12-21-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB98338 (Post 656436)
U.S. Bio-Security Officials Sound Warning After Scientists Create Deadly New Strain of Bird Flu

Read more: U.S. Bio-Security Officials Sound Warning After Scientists Create Deadly New Strain of Bird Flu | Fox News

Yep, it would really suck to be a bird right now. :)

I wouldn't worry to much about it. They probably created a lot worse stuff than that years ago. Que Sera Sera.

bkt 12-21-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLuker (Post 656520)
Yep, it would really suck to be a bird right now. :)

I wouldn't worry to much about it. They probably created a lot worse stuff than that years ago. Que Sera Sera.

Uh, the problem is the geniuses mutated H5N1 in such a way that it is now easily passed between people. Its mortality rate among people is about 60%.

TLuker 12-22-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 656525)
Uh, the problem is the geniuses mutated H5N1 in such a way that it is now easily passed between people. Its mortality rate among people is about 60%.

The first part was a joke (and yes I know that I have a poor sense of humor, but it makes me laugh).

The second part wasn't a joke. I would think those same geniuses have created much worse mutations than that? I can only imagine what they've been able to do with smallpox, black plague, and samples of the 1917 flu virus. They've probably created new bugs that we've never even heard of like a syphilis and Ebola hybrid (now that would be scary:mad:).

To me it really isn't anything to loose any sleep over. Eventually one of those bugs will probably get loose and it will look like Stephen King's The Stand. It would suck but there really isn't anything that any of us could do about it. So there really isn't anything to worry about. Remember the Serenity Prayer and Que Sera Sera.

downsouth 12-22-2011 12:51 AM

If that scenerio plays out, where will I be, will come before, whatever will be will be.

Scratchammo 12-27-2011 02:17 AM

I'm writing a post-apocalyptic story about this exact same scenario.

WilliamTF 12-28-2011 04:40 AM

I'm not freaking over it but , ebola,marsburg any of those hemmoragic bugs worry me. If someone were exposed and boarded an aircraft within 24hrs. Either purposely or involuntarily the consequences would be beyond description. I know so far ebola has been deep in the congo or wherever, but years ago Marburgs is named after a small German town it just appeared in. I want to say the death rate on these are close to 100%

Mosin 12-28-2011 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTF (Post 661284)
I'm not freaking over it but , ebola,marsburg any of those hemmoragic bugs worry me. If someone were exposed and boarded an aircraft within 24hrs. Either purposely or involuntarily the consequences would be beyond description. I know so far ebola has been deep in the congo or wherever, but years ago Marburgs is named after a small German town it just appeared in. I want to say the death rate on these are close to 100%

I saw a show, and one of the top scientists said those bugs don't present a global problem, because they're so effective they burn themselves out and never get a chance to spread. Something like the flu now, is highly contagious and can spread to thousands before the original carrier gets sick enough to seek medical attention.