Active Shooter - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Active Shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

An off duty LEO engaged an active shooter at a shopping mall in Salt Lake City a few years ago, after first getting his wife to safety and having her call 9-1-1 to advise them of what was going on, that her husband was an off duty LEO, what he was wearing, armed and that he was going to engage the shooter. The first officer on the scene saw the shooter and LEO (who by that time was down to 2 rounds in his 1911 and didn't carry a spare magazine) and coordinated with the off duty LEO. The shooter committed suicide before any additional officers arrived on the scene.

The off duty officer has since spoken at several Street Survival Seminars and has stressed the importance of carrying spare magazines. He was able to drive the shooter to cover and keep him from shooting anyone else before a first local officer arrived. His wife was a police dispatcher for another agency and was able to remain calm enough to give clear and concise information.

A good dispatcher will give responding officers as much information as they receive and in that case things worked out. There have been plenty of off duty LEOs who've been shot and killed after taking action without advising 9-1-1 and have been mistaken for goblins. There have been homeowners and store owners mistaken for goblins too. They're so focused on the threat they don't see or hear officers ordering them to place their weapon on the ground and put their hands up.

I'm a LEO and always carry off duty, but unless I can call 9-1-1 and advise them of what's happening, who I am & what I'm wearing I don't plan on engaging an active shooter solo in any large area like a shopping mall.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
An off duty LEO engaged an active shooter at a shopping mall in Salt Lake City a few years ago, after first getting his wife to safety and having her call 9-1-1 to advise them of what was going on, that her husband was an off duty LEO, what he was wearing, armed and that he was going to engage the shooter. The first officer on the scene saw the shooter and LEO (who by that time was down to 2 rounds in his 1911 and didn't carry a spare magazine) and coordinated with the off duty LEO. The shooter committed suicide before any additional officers arrived on the scene.

The off duty officer has since spoken at several Street Survival Seminars and has stressed the importance of carrying spare magazines. He was able to drive the shooter to cover and keep him from shooting anyone else before a first local officer arrived. His wife was a police dispatcher for another agency and was able to remain calm enough to give clear and concise information.

A good dispatcher will give responding officers as much information as they receive and in that case things worked out. There have been plenty of off duty LEOs who've been shot and killed after taking action without advising 9-1-1 and have been mistaken for goblins. There have been homeowners and store owners mistaken for goblins too. They're so focused on the threat they don't see or hear officers ordering them to place their weapon on the ground and put their hands up.

I'm a LEO and always carry off duty, but unless I can call 9-1-1 and advise them of what's happening, who I am & what I'm wearing I don't plan on engaging an active shooter solo in any large area like a shopping mall.
Along the same lines, if the average CCW holder engages the active shooter and the police arrive, it may be hard for them to distinguish you from the bad guy. I'm not arguing whether a CCW holder should engage or not; that's a personal decision, this is just food for thought.

(I'm also LEO and carry all the time, with a spare mag and sometimes even a spare gun.)

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".