Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Active Shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Active Shooter

Hey all I was wondering what some of your plans for dealing with an active shooter in the a public place would be. I know there are hundreds of scenarios that could go down but in general whats some things you think you would do or even legally be aloud to do? Personally I have no doubt that my traning would kick in and after getting cover and concealment for my family I would engage and neutralise the threat. As a CCW holder and a Civialin Sheep dog I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

Get my family and I outta there ASAP.
Im no hero wannabe and I dont want to put my family through the litigation of dropping an active shooter. If the shooter were between my family and safety, then I would do everything in my power to stop / drop him.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be damned if I'll allow some innocent to die if I have the means to prevent it.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Keep in mind that nearly every LE agency has plans to go in and neutralize the shooter. They are coming in fast and hard and not waiting for SWAT or negotiators to arrive. You do not want to be shooting it out with the BG when they come a calling, you WILL be seen as a part of the problem and treated as such.

I will not get into the specifics of the plan of attack, but trust me there WILL be an attack.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First I would protect my family from not only the crazy guy but then from all the rambos out there shooting to stop him and then stay down and ready when the LEOs around here showed up and sprayed everything. No offence meant to the LEOs here. Just seems we are having a rash of OI shootings lately.
Seriously tho, no one can predict what you would do in a situation like that. If you've never dropped the hammer on a human being you can't know what you will do.
As for me and mine, we try to avoid being in crowded places and always stay alert.

Last edited by oldshooter; 07-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Keep in mind that nearly every LE agency has plans to go in and neutralize the shooter. They are coming in fast and hard and not waiting for SWAT or negotiators to arrive. You do not want to be shooting it out with the BG when they come a calling, you WILL be seen as a part of the problem and treated as such.

I will not get into the specifics of the plan of attack, but trust me there WILL be an attack.
99 out of 100 times the shooter will be dead by his own hand or out of ammo and fled or barracaded somewhere with hotages if no civilians do anything by the time the police get there.

1 well aimed round to the noggin while he is turned the other way shooting. then go kick the gun away place my gun on the ground and wait for the police that would be the basiv plan without what-iffing it to death.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What Robocop said.

You aren't part of the law enforcement plan, nor are most of you trained to engage someone proactively. Your job as an armed citizen is to get yourself and those that you are with out of the danger zone. When the police arrive and make entry--and they will--anyone seen holding a gun will be considered a legitimate threat. The last thing they need is you being a distraction because you have this idea about how cool it is to be a hero.

Remember that they have very little information about what's going on, but you...well you probably have even less, because you aren't privy to the information that they're getting from multiple sources. Get yourself to safety and leave the heroics to the paid, trained professioanls who actually have the training and teamwork to handle such things.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
99 out of 100 times the shooter will be dead by his own hand or out of ammo and fled or barracaded somewhere with hotages if no civilians do anything by the time the police get there.

1 well aimed round to the noggin while he is turned the other way shooting. then go kick the gun away place my gun on the ground and wait for the police that would be the basiv plan without what-iffing it to death.
That may be true, but after Colombine LE is not going to sit around waiting for the shooter to off himself or run out of ammo. If we go in and he has offed himself, fine. If we go in and he offs himself because we are after him, fine. Maybe we we reduced the body count and cleared the scene sufficiently to get medical assistance to the wounded, hopefully saving lives. The dynamics have changed and we are trying to change with them. When the dynamics change again (and they will), we will try to change again.

Your plan is not a bad one. Just remember to have a back up plan as no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy (Murphy's laws of combat)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
What Robocop said.

You aren't part of the law enforcement plan, nor are most of you trained to engage someone proactively. Your job as an armed citizen is to get yourself and those that you are with out of the danger zone. When the police arrive and make entry--and they will--anyone seen holding a gun will be considered a legitimate threat. The last thing they need is you being a distraction because you have this idea about how cool it is to be a hero.

Remember that they have very little information about what's going on, but you...well you probably have even less, because you aren't privy to the information that they're getting from multiple sources. Get yourself to safety and leave the heroics to the paid, trained professioanls who actually have the training and teamwork to handle such things.
Both of these posts are sound advice IMHO. A carried firearm is only to be used if it is a direct personal lethal threat specifically directed to you or your family. Other than that, vacate to safety, take cover, and be a good witness.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

save my family, if i get the chance eliminate the threat, if not I don't plan on making my wife a widow. "Hero's don't last very long in this war son" Lt.Nelson

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."