9mm supply and demand - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 9mm supply and demand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Here during the shortage we had plenty of .40 S&W but saw a shortage of the other stuff.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #12

Since we're on topic.

(Feel free not to participate in answering my question, you know....big brother is watching).

What ammo do you guys have piled up, how many, and why?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #13

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

Canes just saying the 9mm wont be as accurate.. If I remember correctly 9mm measures .355" and .38/.357 is .357"... With that said I dont really notice that much difference when I shoot the Medusa with ether rounds. My favorite plinking round outta the 'dusa is actually .380 ACP, and I think thats a .355" bullet.

Its really a shame Colt never used Phillips idea, those little "fingers" seem to eliminate the problems other "multi-caliber" revolvers have..
The more I read on other multi-caliber guns, the more I realize Im one lucky SOB to have a Medusa...

Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #14

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
Since we're on topic.

(Feel free not to participate in answering my question, you know....big brother is watching).

More than most, not as much as some....

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my area (I was in St. Louis Metro East) when Obamalamadingdong took office, all semi-auto handgun calibers (especially 9x19) were impossible to find on the shelves for about a year. When you could find it, the prices were close to double the "normal" price.

.380, 9x19, .40, and .45 seemed to be snatched up as quickly as possible. Occasionally I saw some .32 auto, and .22, but mostly it was just 12ga birdshot and oddball rifle calibers that weren't as popular and stayed on the shelves (7.62x51/.308, 7.62x39, and .223/5.56 was never to be found, unless you rolled your own). IIRC, this was the same throughout most of the country.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
Since we're on topic.

This is called thread hi-jacking. Please start a separate thread for this. Actually, if you search, I believe we have one already.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Last edited by Poink88; 07-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Ignoring all the other caliber and reloading arguments for now (please), which of the following do you believe is most likely?

a) The most common handgun caliber is the most likely to be produced and available;
OR
b) The most common handgun caliber is the most likely to be in demand and unavailable.
Both but before the supply is depleted I believe all the other calibers will be out sooner.

I will stick with the more popular calibers and believe 9mm is the most popular right now. 40 S&W might become the next most popular soon at least where I am since most LEO's are forced to use it.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Ignoring all the other caliber and reloading arguments for now (please), which of the following do you believe is most likely?

a) The most common handgun caliber is the most likely to be produced and available;
OR
b) The most common handgun caliber is the most likely to be in demand and unavailable.
A. 9mm 45acp, the military/police use and stockpile both.

B. Pretty much all of it will dissappear over nite in a true shtf situation. You will be scavanging as gunshops will liekly close the doors make sure their buddies are equipped and thats about it.

I dont get too worked up over what gun to use my main choices are 1911 and ar15/m16. If it gets to scrounging time your just as liekly to battlefield pickup entire weapons as you are the ammo they use. Granted you survive the battle to do a pickup...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #19
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2007 Times on 1173 Posts
Likes Given: 4234

The last time at the local stores for ammo, the hardest ammo to find on the shelves is .45 and .357 SIG ammo.