Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 9mm supply and demand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1680 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Default 9mm supply and demand

Ignoring all the other caliber and reloading arguments for now (please), which of the following do you believe is most likely?

a) The most common handgun caliber is the most likely to be produced and available;
OR
b) The most common handgun caliber is the most likely to be in demand and unavailable.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-14-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

With the exception of .22 rimfire, I believe 9mm Parabellum is the most common pistol cartridge in the world. .380 (in the US) came into VERY short supply last year- many ammo makers did seasonal runs of that, and the intro of a couple of popular new .380s, coupled with seasonal production, created a temporary shortage.

It is also the standard military sidearm cartridge of several nations (including all NATO members, if you consider the 9mm NATO and 9mm Parabellum to be the same round) I have heard the claim you could find 9mm ammo in any major city in the world.

Remember that ammo is consumable- if you have an oddball caliber, while demand is low, so is production. Finding that can be a matter of luck. Seen any .35 S&W Auto ammo around lately? (no, not a typo- .35 S&W! )

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1680 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

I've learned about the ubiquitous 9mm. (I do my homework.) Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Remember that ammo is consumable- if you have an oddball caliber, while demand is low, so is production.
Yes. And where production would be high, it's because the demand is high too, hence my question. So you think 9mm will always be on the shelf?

Last edited by Vincine; 07-15-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Yes. Sort of like .308 and 30-30 rifle. The 8.82 Grunchenticker Super Short Long magnum may be the latest round every gun magazine is swooning over, but I can walk into any WalMart or country store that carries ammo, odds are I can find those two rounds.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1811 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 3717

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Seen any .35 S&W Auto ammo around lately? (no, not a typo- .35 S&W! )
Negative! The only ammo I see on the shelves locally, is the ammo that sells.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 07-15-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I guess it would depend somewhat on the situation... but generally speaking I would imagine that the most popular rounds will be easier to find on the shelf than any niche/oddball round even in spite of high demand.

9mm in particular can almost surely be found in some way, shape or form because not only is it extremely popular and therefore in high production and found at about any gun store, it's also likely to be in many households, and is in most police stations and military bases. Not only in the US but also in Canada and probably most other countries.

It's a good question, and in an emergency where production stops for an extended period, the popular ones might dry out first, but since the civilian and military stockpiles are so high I would think thats it will be easy to find. It may even get special production priority and be the last of the ammo in production due to the government military uses.
Also, if the 9mm dries up, you can bet that the other ammo has also dried up since once one goes, people will take anything they can get.

As I said, it depends on the situation, but I think 9mm is a safe bet. especially for planning purposes right now when production is running. Even if your loal shop is out, it will get some soon, so get your order in!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Last edited by TrueNorth; 07-16-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I'll vote on the 9mm too for being most likely to find worldwide. In the U.S. I'd say it's a toss up between the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Most LE agencies here use the .40 and I've yet to be unable to find it on the shelf at any store that sells it. The .45 ACP is a popular round too and readily available. The 9mm has the edge in cost.

The .38 Spl & .357 Mag are both popular and fairly easy to find, but not as much as the others listed and cost somewhere between the .40 & .45.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #8

Great thread!

I'm planning on getting me a Ruger Blackhawk convt. comes with a 9mm and 357 (but can also shoot .38sp). SO its like 3 guns in 1

i think the .22lr is very common and the 9mm too.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
Great thread!

I'm planning on getting me a Ruger Blackhawk convt. comes with a 9mm and 357 (but can also shoot .38sp). SO its like 3 guns in 1
As long as the 9mm cylinder is used for plinking only and nothing else you should be a happy camper. Accuracy is an issue with the 9 mike mike for several compromised reasons.

The gun is built with a 38/357 barrel designed to shoot the 9.1mm bullet. When you throw a 9×19mm Parabellum, 9.03mm bullet down the same barrel it has more of a jump to make into the rifling and "rattles" down the barrel.

When going 9mm you must shoot jacketed bullets. The 9mm cylinder head spaces on the rim mouth. There is the typical back and forth play that is common in a revolver. Lead will shave a tad on the head space of the cylinder.

As a 357 it will serve you well as a hunter and personal defense piece.

My choice, should I want to go convertible, would be the Blackhawk chambered in 45LC/45Auto.

I have the Blackhawk chambered in 30 carbine. Outstanding gun and wicked accurate.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
As long as the 9mm cylinder is used for plinking only and nothing else you should be a happy camper. Accuracy is an issue with the 9 mike mike for several compromised reasons.

The gun is built with a 38/357 barrel designed to shoot the 9.1mm bullet. When you throw a 9×19mm Parabellum, 9.03mm bullet down the same barrel it has more of a jump to make into the rifling and "rattles" down the barrel.

When going 9mm you must shoot jacketed bullets. The 9mm cylinder head spaces on the rim mouth. There is the typical back and forth play that is common in a revolver. Lead will shave a tad on the head space of the cylinder.

As a 357 it will serve you well as a hunter and personal defense piece.

My choice, should I want to go convertible, would be the Blackhawk chambered in 45LC/45Auto.

I have the Blackhawk chambered in 30 carbine. Outstanding gun and wicked accurate.
So when purchasing ammo fro the blackhawk i need to take in consideration the diameter of the bullet?