Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   7.62x54 Mosin help with SHTF (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/7-62x54-mosin-help-shtf-57199/)

12fretter 02-07-2012 08:16 AM

7.62x54 Mosin help with SHTF

Among my handguns, I have a 10-22, a 22 magnum rifle and a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54 rifle with iron sights. I realize the Mosin is not the premium weapon to be left with in a SHTF scenario, but as money goes, I just can't swing anything else, at least not in the foreseeable future. I have a couple hundred rounds for it, and the ammo is pretty inexpensive. I can get 880 rounds delivered for about $165. Should I do that and call it a day, with the comfort in knowing I have satisfied my minimum 1000 round per gun requirement? Or should I save my money in the hopes that I will someday have enough to get a weapon in a more suitable caliber?

Josh1158 02-07-2012 09:24 AM

It worked good for the russians for a while. I would look for something with a better rate of fire. I got an sks for 250 not to long ago. The ammo is alittle cheaper and she shoots as fast as I can pull the trigger.

vincent 02-07-2012 01:22 PM

For the price on 880 rounds I'd go ahead and...pull the trigger ...on that one, pun intended. It's cheap and plentiful now but it's not going to be like that forever, there IS a finite supply of the mil-surp stuff, lots of folks snapping up the 91/30's right now.

Between your handguns, the 10/22 and Mosin it sounds like you pretty much got your needs covered. Good rifles (as I'm sure you know) can be had at reasonable prices, feed the mouths you have first, then go from there...

JonM 02-07-2012 01:44 PM

Mosins are great rifles and will get the job done. There are much worse choices for the price range. If you get it now you will have a fantastic shooter even if you get a better gun later.

Just becareful they have a tendency to multiply in a gun safe.

12fretter 02-07-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 701824)
If you get it now you will have a fantastic shooter even if you get a better gun later.

I already own the rifle and love it. I was just wondering if it was a dumb idea to stock up on a caliber that won't be a very tradeable commodity in a SHTF scenario. I might have to trade the rounds with the gun! Otherwise, I doubt there will be very many rifles chambered in 7.62x54.

But I think I will stock up. Cheap shooter for sure.

Immortal4419 02-07-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12fretter (Post 701835)
I already own the rifle and love it. I was just wondering if it was a dumb idea to stock up on a caliber that won't be a very tradeable commodity in a SHTF scenario. I might have to trade the rounds with the gun! Otherwise, I doubt there will be very many rifles chambered in 7.62x54.

I say def stock up! Its a decent reliable and accurate rifle. Not the newest or the best but its what you have and its affordable to stock up some ammo.

12fretter 02-07-2012 07:44 PM

Ordered today! Thanks to all for the push.

Chainfire 02-07-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12fretter (Post 701835)

In a really bad situation I would only be swapping ammo at 3000 fps.

12fretter 02-07-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 702031)
In a really bad situation I would only be swapping ammo at 3000 fps.

Let's just hope you give more than you receive;)

bick65 02-07-2012 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you use surplus ammo clean after shooting not the next day . I to am buying some ammo like this , but I take apart with bullet hammer have a jig to fire primer desalt then reload . sounds like work but I save bullet and brass and make gun more accurate . Heres a pic of what a not well keep gun with surplus ammo can look like. I would not fire the gun pictured . Good luck