Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 7.62 vs. .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotinguy View Post
I do love my LAR-15,sweet and accurate...and the 69gr are really good,I liked how they had penetration point (center old phonebook watered down)My Yugo SKS w/grenadge launcher seems to shoot well enough,not anywhere near accurate and doesnt like the HotShots either,now on the other hand the Golden Tiger did really good,I was able to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards (calm day).

The desert gives some 'interesting' rough terrains and weather (temps and sometimes dust storms)but its easy to 'move/locate/fire' as need and sometimes gives a few advantages of not much humidity and not a lot of people around,so movement and training is easier with target placements,curve advantages and ridge sniping.

Im thinking about taking out the Mini14 this time,and the Marlin 30/30 just to see how they compare to other rounds,but as I am hoarding right now,may be a while before I get back out there again.
Maybe I wasted money on the HotShot - I've been wanting to try to reload for the SKS, but right now can't justify the expense of the dies and bullets.

I wished I lived in Arizona. There'd be a lot of dead cactus!

My Marlin 30-30 is a tackdriver. I've found that either IMR3031 or H-322 with 150gr. bullets works extremely well. I have a cheap 4x scope on mine and it can produce 1-1.5" groups from the bench.

I'm hoarding also, at least until MidSouth sends me my damned powder primers and bullets which I ordered over a month ago. I ordered another DPMS LR308B for my son when he was still in Iraq in the hopes of having a "welcome home" present for him, but it's been over 4 months now and they still can't tell me when to expect delivery, and he's only up here until the 24th of this month. This sucks!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #72
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

5.56/.223 would be my choice. Well tested and many put to ground with that round. We spend millions in defense and that is the round used. Why spend time claiming a better round when this is what we use when we are at war? Pretty much says it all...except for the sniper/special ops wanna be. This is the best available round.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #73

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
5.56/.223 would be my choice. Well tested and many put to ground with that round. We spend millions in defense and that is the round used. Why spend time claiming a better round when this is what we use when we are at war? Pretty much says it all...except for the sniper/special ops wanna be. This is the best available round.

The problem is that it's NOT the "best available round". It's just the round that's been around for so long that it's tolerated. Even the Armed Services realize it's not "the best", that's why they are looking into other options, like the 6.8. The 7.62 x 51 has been around a long time also, and it get's the job done a lot more efficiently than the 5.56, that's why it's used in LE and Military apps for short, mid, and long range work. It also wins 800 yd. competitions on a regular basis.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #74

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus Capitalis View Post
Why aren't you people out whipping a dead horse or something?
Cause it's more fun pissing you off...

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #75

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to infer? This forum is for people to voice their opinion and we're having fun doing just that. Would you rather we get drunk at the bar down the road from you and attempt to drive that way while you or your family is on the roads?

Quote:
Why aren't you people out whipping a dead horse or something?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #76

Quote:
Cause it's more fun pissing you off...
Got my vote...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #77

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Default if it was me....

IN A SHTF CASE...i would go with the 5.56/.223
just the simple fact that the 5.56/.223 weighs almost half as much as a 7.62 rds. that is saying brass cases vs steel cases...so more ammo in a fire fight or aka SHTF case more is always better i would think?....and i wouldnt use either one of my bushmasters xm-15's...i'd go with my bwk92 sporter...ak47 type 5.56 chamber...very accurate just as if not better than my bushy's.alot less pickier too..but so yeah both would be even better or just break out the minigun and have enough ammo....lol

Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #78

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I don't get pissed off. I get even.

Maybe you should just "get lost"....

Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #79

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
IN A SHTF CASE...i would go with the 5.56/.223
just the simple fact that the 5.56/.223 weighs almost half as much as a 7.62 rds. that is saying brass cases vs steel cases...so more ammo in a fire fight or aka SHTF case more is always better i would think?....and i wouldnt use either one of my bushmasters xm-15's...i'd go with my bwk92 sporter...ak47 type 5.56 chamber...very accurate just as if not better than my bushy's.alot less pickier too..but so yeah both would be even better or just break out the minigun and have enough ammo....lol
No AK design is anywhere near as accurate as the AR platform...I don't care who makes it. Additionally, steel-cased ammo is not used by anyone who owns a quality AR, desires accuracy, and wants to keep it functioning. Ammo weight is a problem for soldiers carrying full auto and "burst" equipped M-16's and M-4's. I would imagine it's also a concern for weekend warriors and mall ninja's. Personally I'll take a long range rifle and a few mags worth of match grade ammo to make head shots on the zombies while they're still a few hundred yards out...for in close work I'll use my .40 carbine.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #80

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This a is pretty good read so far. Lots of different ideas for different reasons. ( You 5.56mm guys bring up a good point about the use of hollow point/expanding bullets through your chosen piece. If your rifle proves to be reliable with this ammunition type(s), and satisfies your particular accuracy requirements, then you all should be GTG.
The 7.62x39mm crowd has it's merits as well. Rifles proven to be reliable under less than ideal conditions are chambered for it, and have a good track record in that aspect.

With that being said,I fall into the 7.62x51mm/308 crowd for the following reasons..(not in any particular order.)

1. My rifles of choice is chambered for this. ( My M14/M1A rifles are extremely reliable, meet my accuracy requirements, are semi automatic, have the ability to reliably mount optics to, and also meet my 20rd mag minimum requirement, with reliable current production mags selling for 25 bucks a pop at present time. ( This ruled out rifles chambered in 30-06, 8mm, etc... for my needs at least)
2. My bolt guns are chambered for this. ( Same ammo eases logistics/funds)
3. Decent cover reducing effects.
4. Greater terminal effects at greater range while still using FMJ since this is what I have the most of. ( Works great on hogs provided that I do my part)
5. A widely produced caliber with numerous commercial offerings available, and quite a bit of re-loading info out there as well.
6. Ability to hunt large game more effectively.
7. Weight. Yup... I said it. IMO.... even thou it weighs more ( rd per round ),than the others in question, the difference in weight is negligible for my purposes, and the advantages I get from the reasons stated above far " outweigh" the added weight. I also don't plan on humpin around the bush with 1000 + rds of it in my ruck anyways.
8. My clan and I train with our chosen rifles as much as time allows, and also hunt with the exact same rifles. If practice makes perfect, then I believe that we are on the road to success. This, combined with our tactics,physical training,personal SOP's, and doctrine does make for a good strategy IMO, so long as we continue to put it all to the test on a regular basis, and weed out the things that don't work out. It keeps us up to speed with the skills/good habits needed.
This is by far the most important piece of the puzzle if's ya ask me, regardless of the caliber chosen.

FTR........ Our Military does not just use 5.56mm exclusively. 2 to 3 M240B machine guns per Infantry rifle platoon (U.S.Army whom I work for as 11B), is more or less std, with the addition of 4 more in the mechanized Infantry platoons via the M-2 Bradley's co-axle machine gun. M14/M21/M25/M24/M40 rifles all chambered in 7.62x51mm as well, not to mention other weapons/munitions in the total combined arms spectrum. The current AK armed bad guys do the same thing. ( DPMS MG and SVD rifle = 7.62x54mm). RPG's, mortars, IED's etc.......
FMJ has a tendency to reliably function in automatic weapons better than hollow point/expanding ammuntion, especially when said automatic weapons get hot from sustained fire. It is also easier from a logistical standpoint to produce, and issue....... not to mention the Hague convention.
What does this all have to do with legal civilian acquired small arms? Very little IMO. If my clan and I opted to roll with AR's, I would want them built as close to Military specs with new Military surplus parts as possible, only because of my use with the M16/M4 rifles at work.... provided that a plentiful ammo supply was/is available. We used to roll with Norinco AK47/Mac90/91 rifles before we made the switch to the M14, so that's what I would want in an AK only because of being familiar with them beforehand.

Just my.02.......

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 04-07-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Newest Threads