Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 7.62 vs. .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #61
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'd grab my AR in 5.56 with a combo of FMJ and soft points. We, as a people, are NOT limited to the FMJ only bullets we had to use in the military, and thus, makes the 5.56 much more effective with modern bullets.
You bring up a very good point. Ballistics tests with soft-point 5.56 are far more impressive than FMJ rounds based on some online reports.

IIRC, the FMJ was chosen as a more "humanitarian" round in that it was actually less likely to kill than a hollow-point or soft-tip. The idea behind that was the enemy would be incapacitated and require medical personnel and consume medical resources to recuperate, thus straining the enemy's ability to tend to their wounded soldiers.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #62

Default best survival round

id stick with the 7.62*39 in an ak because the ammo tends to be cheaper and the reliability of an ak is outstanding. dont get me wrong, ar's are great guns but id choose the ak.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #63

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If the SHTF in this country remember that 7.62 x 39 won't be available for long...in fact if Obama and his class of clowns has their way, 7.62 x 39 won't be available anymore. The 7.62 x 51 and 5.56 are currently US military and LE calibers and would be readily available off the dead bodies of the people we will be defending ourselves against! After shooting my SKS today it also reinforced the reason I own AR's.....with the new developments in body armor, the question is not "can you hit a body at 100 + yds with your AK", the question is "can you make a head shot at 100+yds"...with an AK the answer is "NO".

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #64

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
In a SHTF situation which would you prefer?

.223 - Less stopping power, more accuracy.
7.62x39 - More stopping power, less accuracy.
I'll take the 5.56

It is the by far the most popular law enforcement chambering and is the standard issue for the military, so you should be able to scrounge ammo if necessary. You can also carry more of the ammo for the same weight.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #65

Quote:
If the SHTF in this country remember that 7.62 x 39 won't be available for long.
Copy that,and thats why I stocked up cases and just sat on it.If you are looking for wide spead mayhem the 39 round would do nicely but a SHTF would (probably) be more of a precision/surgical need for firepower.the .223 can still,with a scope and decent weapon 'hit the mark' at 300 yards.I prefer the AR style platform...more to my past Army training AND it would be more available to find (possibly).Precision shot out of a Rem 700 means more with one shot than a mag of 39's.

I still like both for 'what situation may arise' but the 5.56/.223 is my round between both.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #66

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotinguy View Post
Copy that,and thats why I stocked up cases and just sat on it.If you are looking for wide spead mayhem the 39 round would do nicely but a SHTF would (probably) be more of a precision/surgical need for firepower.the .223 can still,with a scope and decent weapon 'hit the mark' at 300 yards.I prefer the AR style platform...more to my past Army training AND it would be more available to find (possibly).Precision shot out of a Rem 700 means more with one shot than a mag of 39's.

I still like both for 'what situation may arise' but the 5.56/.223 is my round between both.
Welcome Guntotinguy! Good to see you here and you'll go far with one of the Mods (Dillinger) with the compliments on the Rem.700...lol
Personally I'll tak a 7.62 over the 5.56 - only make mine 7.62 x 51mm...

Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #67

I'll take .223 anyday. I'm not limited to FMJ rounds. V-max and TNT rounds will do some serious damage far beyond what a military round will do. That's the beauty of reloading. Not only do I have guns for every possible threat, I also have bullets loaded for different jobs.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #68

Yeah RL357Mag (really good to be here...thanks)...I do have a hankering about the 308's too...good for a 'removal' of a clear and present danger if the SHTF...I was looking at the prices,and availability of getting the right caliber,scope and weapon to commit to the 3 basics (trigger,distance,impact).

Wife and I went out to the desert and ran a few 'tacticals' recently,took the AES-10B,the Russian SKS,Saiga 308,and the RRA.Wanted to 'sit and fire' selectively,trying to 'work and shoot' various multiple targets and range (all within 5 to 200 yards)

The RRA (223) and the Saiga did extremely well,decent groups (windy day taken into factor)the RPK did good about to 150 yards even with wind and bullet drop (might've been the 39's we used...crappy ammo)...the SKS not so good,it DID hit but to large of a grouping to tell.I was more impressed with the 308's that day,then the 223's,the rest to hard to tell,will try again next week.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #69

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotinguy View Post
Yeah RL357Mag (really good to be here...thanks)...I do have a hankering about the 308's too...good for a 'removal' of a clear and present danger if the SHTF...I was looking at the prices,and availability of getting the right caliber,scope and weapon to commit to the 3 basics (trigger,distance,impact).

Wife and I went out to the desert and ran a few 'tacticals' recently,took the AES-10B,the Russian SKS,Saiga 308,and the RRA.Wanted to 'sit and fire' selectively,trying to 'work and shoot' various multiple targets and range (all within 5 to 200 yards)

The RRA (223) and the Saiga did extremely well,decent groups (windy day taken into factor)the RPK did good about to 150 yards even with wind and bullet drop (might've been the 39's we used...crappy ammo)...the SKS not so good,it DID hit but to large of a grouping to tell.I was more impressed with the 308's that day,then the 223's,the rest to hard to tell,will try again next week.
I love my RRA , and with 69gr. Sierra BTHP Matchkings it is a real tackdriver. But my recent loadings for my DPMS LR308 using Berger Match bullets have proven to be just as accurate as the RRA, albeit with a tremendous outlay of the green stuff. At $38/box you don't go "plinking". But I would like to try some 600 yd. shooting with this load - problem is I don't have enough land. I wish I lived near a desert! A farmer friend said I could use his field, and I just bought an old Ford F-350 Diesel flatbed so now I have the means to haul my shooting bench over to his field! I too shot my SKS last week and was extremely disappointed. I bought 700 rds. of HotShot ammo and over the last few months have replaced the original rear sight with two different peep sights (MoJo and Tech Sights) and nothing seems to work to improve the lousy groups. When the barrel heats up I'm lucky to keep them on an 8 x10 target at 100 yds. I wish I had a bore scope because I suspect my barrel or crown is screwed up. Mine is the Yugo with the grenade launcher, so I can't really see the crown, but from what I can see it appears that there is something amuk. I may remove the grenade launcher and cut an inch off the barrel and have it re-crowned.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #70

I do love my LAR-15,sweet and accurate...and the 69gr are really good,I liked how they had penetration point (center old phonebook watered down)My Yugo SKS w/grenadge launcher seems to shoot well enough,not anywhere near accurate and doesnt like the HotShots either,now on the other hand the Golden Tiger did really good,I was able to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards (calm day).

The desert gives some 'interesting' rough terrains and weather (temps and sometimes dust storms)but its easy to 'move/locate/fire' as need and sometimes gives a few advantages of not much humidity and not a lot of people around,so movement and training is easier with target placements,curve advantages and ridge sniping.

Im thinking about taking out the Mini14 this time,and the Marlin 30/30 just to see how they compare to other rounds,but as I am hoarding right now,may be a while before I get back out there again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Newest Threads