7.62 vs. .223 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

7.62 vs. .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How about a scoped AR-15? That's the ticket right there. It'll let you carry lighter ammo than the AK or the 7.62 NATO shooters. It will give you really good distance and excellent accuracy out far beyond the AK type of rifles. Those two murdering morons a couple of years ago around Washington, D.C., proved how effective a scoped M-4 type of carbine could be. Imagine if those guys had really known what they were doing or had practiced a bit...

Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #12

Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Both. In the appropriate platforms. Never LIMIT yourself.

You could discuss this all day. Both are very similar in intent and performance, albeit at different distances.

If pinned to one - .223. More rounds per weight and more loadings for performance. Also one more note - more manufacturers of platforms.
+1
A friend and firearms dealer responded to a similar question as follows:

0-200 yds - AK
200-500 yds - AR
500-800 yds - M14

but again, no other circumstances or scenarios were suggested. I would like to someday own all 3.

Dib

Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got to ask even though I feel like a complete idiot because I just can't figure it out. What is SHTF?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the roofer View Post
I got to ask even though I feel like a complete idiot because I just can't figure it out. What is SHTF?
A "Sh*t Hits The Fan" scenario is a really, really bad event involving infrastructure/economic collapse mixed with (localized?) disaster where you have to rely on yourself to survive.

So in the context of this thread, what round is more effective and what rifle is more reliable?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would have to say I would go with a platform piece to cover all bases, preferably in the AR category. You can have one well built lower in either round configuration and then have a couple of uppers. Mags would be transferable regardless and ammo would be the same, so that cuts down on weight and transport problems. I would choose .223, but the recent changes in 7.62 x 51 in the AR platform are interesting and need some research in th coming months.

I would chose one short barrel for short distance work and one long barreled upper for more long range engagements. With the aftermarket for AR being the equivilent of a 7-11 currently, there is no shortage of variables and mods you can perform on one platform and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to prepare, and easier to transport, one weapon in your arms and one upper in your backpack.

D

Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If I had to chose (because I own both types of rifles), I'd go with my POF p415 gas piston AR (5.56). I have about 1K of 7.62 X 39, but the .223 is much more available locally. You could pull a Red Dawn and just raid the sporting goods stores (if need be) and gun shops.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
but the recent changes in 7.62 x 51 in the AR platform
7.62x51 is very different from a 7.62x39. I'd opt for the former in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'm good taking my chances with a .223/5.56.

(Notice to AK owners: I fully appreciate and envy the degree of abject abuse an AK can take and still perform. That feature alone has me really, really wanting one. But getting one right now would really, really piss off my wife, however, so I must go about this very discreetly.)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Dude/ALL

Don't use a hammer to do the job of a saw?
RON L
You just ruined me day jk
i love to go over bored and do thins the heard way just to see and it might not be a striate cut but the hammer did work
On another note what you sed rings true
THAT DOG WILL BARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
If I had to chose (because I own both types of rifles), I'd go with my POF p415 gas piston AR (5.56). I have about 1K of 7.62 X 39, but the .223 is much more available locally. You could pull a Red Dawn and just raid the sporting goods stores (if need be) and gun shops.
i love your thinking every one thinks that way but id be getting soap and some other cleaning needs!!!
now dont take it as me bad mouthing i just had to add that

NOW TO THE POINT AT HAND
SHTF
one is never truly alone and you shooting buddys come in handy here
one dude on a hill for covering fire 7.62
one dude hidden for "sniper shots" 5.56
and one dude a long way off Sniping shooting any thing from a 300 WM on up
so MY answer here is i dont know i have my own thoughts 7.62 in any of the MM(25,39,51,54r) im a 30 cal. man
but never take away from any of the other options out there , there is always something better but that is just my 2 cents

Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
7.62x51 is very different from a 7.62x39. I'd opt for the former in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'm good taking my chances with a .223/5.56.
Oh, I am fully versed in the differences, but the recent changes in the 7.62x51mm platform for the AR have me pondering whether or not I need to upgrade my platform and stock one universal round. I could load one universal round - .308/7.62x51mm for both my sniper stick AND my AR. How can you go wrong with THAT??

Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Where are you and what will you encounter. I live in Alaska and could run into a 1200 lb bear. Not happy with a 7.62x39 but better that than a woodchuck rd. Just recently decided to go with SKSs as shtf rifles over Marlin 336s. Ease of disassembly and cleaning the deciding factor. SKS over AK for accuracy. Don't need a bullet hose, can only carry so much ammo. Yes it would be better to have M1As, but bank acct only stretches so far and Mrs Freefall isn't built to hump a 12 lb rifle. Luck.

Last edited by freefall; 04-23-2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: mispell

Newest Threads