Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 7.62 vs. .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 7.62 vs. .223

In a SHTF situation which would you prefer?

.223 - Less stopping power, more accuracy.
7.62x39 - More stopping power, less accuracy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 7.62 Vs .223

Dude/ALL

Well, I have and do use BOTH, but you sort of reduced it to past simplicity? It's not that 223 does this or 7.62X39 does that, it that the degigns that fire them, are as you mentioned? Take Galil .223, it can shoot with most ar action as far as accure goes, and be as rouged and touch as an ak? Most AR's fire 223, are accurate but don't take abuse well? It's simply not that easy an issue! Both have advantakes and dis-advantages and it's best to know what those are and use whats best? Don't use a hammer to do the job of a saw?

RON L

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #3

Both. In the appropriate platforms. Never LIMIT yourself.

You could discuss this all day. Both are very similar in intent and performance, albeit at different distances.

If pinned to one - .223. More rounds per weight and more loadings for performance. Also one more note - more manufacturers of platforms.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
If pinned to one - .223. More rounds per weight and more loadings for performance. Also one more note - more manufacturers of platforms.
Agreed. After doing a side-by-side of a friend's WASR10 and another friend's Colt AR-15, the AR won hands down for accuracy. I don't care what the round is: shot placement is the key.

Now, if you're talking a 7.62x51, that's a different animal entirely and I could see owning both that and 5.56.

Which reminds me...I really need to start saving my pennies for a Garand.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #5

Me too,BKT.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well in a good ol' fashioned SHTF moment I would take 7.62x39 being fed through an AK47 with 30 rds at my immediate disposal. Accurate? No not really. Reliable and plenty of stopping power? you bet.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
Well in a good ol' fashioned SHTF moment I would take 7.62x39 being fed through an AK47 with 30 rds at my immediate disposal. Accurate? No not really. Reliable and plenty of stopping power? you bet.
+1 to that. However, I have both (AR & AK) so which one isn't a problem at this point.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
In a SHTF situation which would you prefer?

.223 - Less stopping power, more accuracy.
7.62x39 - More stopping power, less accuracy.
Actually there is still much debate over the stopping power of 5.56x45mm. I have seen its effect on personel first hand, and don't doubt its stopping power for a second. 7.62X39mm only outshines the 5.56 in barrier penetration (which means nothing if you can't put the bullet where you want it to go).

I will take an accurate rifle in 5.56 over a bullet hose any day. The whole ARs are not reliable, and fragile myth is just that....a myth. If you buy a $550 Olympic Arms plinker model, a couple of cheap steel magazines, and a few boxes of Wolf don't expect reliablilty. If you build or buy a good quality AR, use USGI mags, and brass cased ammo you will have a reliable, accurate, light rifle.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I need to hit targets over 100 yards away I would go with an AR.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 7.62X39 vs .223? 5.56?

Hello all

At Present, I own the AK in 7.62X39, I have No Problem with .223, Yes it works and even if you don't take in the More Rounds per same weight arguments, The 7.62X39 being a better stopper in most cases, it's all where the Shot is Placed and with my AK, most targets Man sized at 100-150 yards are in serious Peril! Could I reack Farther with .223, Maybe, do I shoot over 200 yards anymore? NO? Remember, its the riflemen as well that is a key element in the deadly aspect of that rifle or carbine? I use 7.62 as a lot I stocked up and when the GUN ban was on and silly I sold my AR for 5X what I paid for it, No way I could have gotten that for the AK and it's been a faithfull companion over ther years! Just what works for you, you will have to try and find out, RIGHT?

RON L