Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > $50 for water.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default $50 for water.

I have just $50 to buy a water filter. I have 50 gallons in garage of drinking water and 40 in the RV. I have another 50 gal for cleaning and flushing the toilet. I live 7 miles and a thousand feet above the river which is nearest water source. The water treatment plant is that far also so I am not worried about flushing.7 miles of down hill pipe. What would be my best bet for cleaning the river water? I have plenty of bleach and shock on hand. I can't afford a Berky at this time and feel like I better do something now. What is my best bet with $50?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Look at this...

CAMP-356 - Dual Ceramic Water Filter Bag 10 GPH Flow Rate

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Similar products here from Just Water Do It Yourself Filtration - Water and Hydration - Shop By Category

These look so good, I'm seriously thinking about adding one and some replacement filters to my BoB!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Similar products here from Just Water Do It Yourself Filtration - Water and Hydration - Shop By Category

These look so good, I'm seriously thinking about adding one and some replacement filters to my BoB!
These look really wonderful and inexpensive. Is it difficult to get a good seal on the filter holes? Having contaminated water leak is the only real concern with this.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, if you don't absolutely have to have it immediately, wait and save a few more bucks. You get what you pay for. Something as important as clean drinking water, don't skimp on that. I bought the top of the line Berkley water purifier for when I absolutely need it. Berkley has a long history of excellence. Just my opinion.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I looked at the Big Berkey and unbelievably, they can't be imported into Kalifornia.

So I looked for alternatives and bought two of these. They cost me twenty five bucks apiece when I bought them. They're up to twenty seven and some change right now.

A Practical, Life-Sustaining Water Filter | Monolithic

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I looked at the Big Berkey and unbelievably, they can't be imported into Kalifornia.

So I looked for alternatives and bought two of these. They cost me twenty five bucks apiece when I bought them. They're up to twenty seven and some change right now.

A Practical, Life-Sustaining Water Filter | Monolithic
CA, do you use 2 filters in your bucket or just 1 at a time? The Ready place seems the same as Monolithic and the bag from CTD looks good too. I still plan to save up for a big berkey but want to have coverage ASAP. Then I will have the Berkey at home and the other in the RV.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Well, if you don't absolutely have to have it immediately, wait and save a few more bucks. You get what you pay for. Something as important as clean drinking water, don't skimp on that. I bought the top of the line Berkley water purifier for when I absolutely need it. Berkley has a long history of excellence. Just my opinion.
Got a Berkey in the kitchen. It's awesome. But in the interest of setting up several filters these might be a great option.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Figures. You can't have truly clean, healthy water in California.

Seriously, why have your state assclowns banned importing a proven water filtration system?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

because "Ve Vill take Care of you"