5 gallon bucket S.I.P. Kit

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 5 gallon bucket S.I.P. Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default 5 gallon bucket S.I.P. Kit

Hello my fellow people. I have had an idea form in my head. With what has been happening this winter back East, I have had the idea to make a 5 gal bucket kit. Now this kit is to be stored off site, let's say my brothers place. I want a kit at another location encase I have to leave my home and take my B.O.B. and head to my brothers place. Or if I can't get my B.O.B. I want something there that I can use so I won't be a total drain on my brothers family.

With that being said I would like some ideas on what to store and how. I would like to fit in a 5 gal bucket with a lid for easy storage. And have supplies to last about a week. Food, water, sanitation, and the like.

I have some ideas, but wanted to see who else has some great ideas or has something like it in place. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9355 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Drywall joint compound buckets have a plastic lid. You will have a hard time putting EVERYTHING in that bucket if you include water. But you can put about a week of dried/ freeze dried food in there for 2 folks. Canned food is easier to prepare, takes more room.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Liked 1076 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Yeah, it'd be hard to imagine fitting a whole weeks worth of stuff in a 5 gal bucket. Keep in mind that the only thing a cylinder can store efficiently is things that change shape. (Like bulk beans, poured into the bucket). Square stuff, or things that don't change shape will leave a lot of voids in there. Even putting in round soup cans would be way inefficient.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3029 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

What ever you choose to include in your bucket should be calorie dense and not full of liquid. Rehydration is easy in most environments. Include either water purification tabs and/or a folding micro backpack stove and fuel to purify water. Don't forget a can opener!

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

Liked 1970 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

I have a bucket I have had for years. My wife mentioned it to me at the grocery store last night. We have dried beans and rice along with a few other things that are in bags. There is other stuff in there too. But I honestly don't remember what. We have been saving food stuff like that since before Y2K. It is different food. No...we haven't been saving the same beans and rice for 14 years. But it has been in there for about 3 or 4 years. Beans and rice may not be steak and potatoes. But it sure beats nothing. It will keep the stomach full. There is probably a bag of flour and stuff to make tortillas too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Like te other guys have mentioned a 5 gallon bucket doesn't give you a lot if room, but for one week and givin' you have shelter and clothing at your brothers.
I would say power bars.... Peanut butter... Couple boxes of spaghetti... Some hard candies... 5 lbs salt... Sawyer squeeze water filter... Appropriate ammo.... Sheath knife... SD card with pictures of all your important documents; (s.s. card, birth cert, marriage cert, passport,... ect.)

That should give you some of the things I think of ....

Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

http://fivegallonideas.com/emergency-kit/

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Liked 1076 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Quote:
It will keep the stomach full.
Yeah, and your pants inflated!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Laundry soap comes in rectangular buckets with lids.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6232 Times on 3505 Posts
Likes Given: 5827

Rice, beans, peas, flour, corn meal, sugar, Bisquick, pancake mix, powdered milk, Spam, Sardines, Vienna sausage... and dozens more items.... these all keep well in a sealed container and don't take up much space. Don't cost as much as freeze dried or MREs either.

Every hospital, restaurant, old folks home, etc. throws away several of these buckets per week. Ask an employee to save you a dozen and you're set.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz