44mag or .223 for bear emergency
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 44mag or .223 for bear emergency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 44mag or .223 for bear emergency

I am hunting. Small game with my .223 when a grizzly threatens me. Do I use my .223, my 44 S&W, or my pepper spray? [Please answer only if you have actual bear or hog experience with .223, 44mag, or pepper. Üninformed opinions and guesses do no help me!]

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

44 mag is my caliber.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I can't help ya, because I use a 458 when I bear hunt.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Unless your .223 is full auto, I'd swap to the 44 mag. Bear spray is useless - except to season pizza.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read an article once that said statistically one is more likely to survive an encounter after using bear spray than after using a weapon.

Unless the .223 is an a high-cap AR and / or you are an amazing shot who can place that little 55gr bullet in just the right spot to drop him (eye? snout? I dunno) while he's charging, I'd draw the .44. But, if you've got 15 rounds left in an AR and don't have the time to transition to your .44, I wouldn't hesitate to put half a dozen rounds into its face!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

bear spray, .44 backup. .223 is like a mosquito to bears and crackheads.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I read an article once that said statistically one is more likely to survive an encounter after using bear spray than after using a weapon.

Unless the .223 is an a high-cap AR and / or you are an amazing shot who can place that little 55gr bullet in just the right spot to drop him (eye? snout? I dunno) while he's charging, I'd draw the .44. But, if you've got 15 rounds left in an AR and don't have the time to transition to your .44, I wouldn't hesitate to put half a dozen rounds into its face!
well i dont have exprience but i was thinking along those same lines. if im walking with my rifle at the ready and get charged the time it would take me to lower my rifle draw and shoot my pistol. id rather just bring up my rifle and pop off 20 rounds before the impact

Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default bears and going home in one piece

depends on what your doing, in many cases in Alaska you have to file a defence of life and property form when a bear encounter happens and if one is killed you actions will be reviewd by the State Fish and Game cops and if your found to be running a dirty camp or spoiling for a encounter you may get a citation.
Pack somthing big and be familure in its use, .44mag 300gr at least.
so Far Ive been doing Maintence in a area of NW Arctic for last 7 years and we have all 3 Blacks, Browns and Polar, have had couple run ins with bears one Black and one Brown, if you can avoid a bear thats best, the Pepper Spray works great if you nail them in the face & eyes, after discharging leave the area immediately, Bear Spray is a Bear attractant to other bears.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

ive read news article about at least one eskimo using a M16 to kill a polar bear but he used a full 30round mag on full auto...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default bears and going home in one piece

Have you ever heard the old saying 'Going Out Loaded For Bear' I guess a .223 Rem isnt much of a gun on bears if there dander is up, a few years back down by Bethel AK they had a younger Brown Bear attack a group of Govt workers I cant recall what they were doing exactly but anyway the bear charged 5 workers and a total of 12 rounds of 12ga Sabot were fired, with 9 hits the last round being a heart shot, they latter on found that the hourglass shaped 12ga winchester slugs had sprued under the skin and outer musle layers and one flattened on the shoulder of this young Grizz. since then from what I hear the Govt has stopped useing sabot and Forrester type slugs they now issue only a a solid rifled slug
As we found its easyer to train people to use a slug gun than a hand gun as they sight radius is longer and you have more probibility of a hit than with a hand gun.
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/fileadmin/BrennekeUSA/Law_enforcement/user_upload/Dokumente/THD_LE.pdf
Hunting gallery: Reader-submitted alaska.com | Alaska news at adn.com
Hunter in critical condition after mauling: Bear Attacks | Alaska news at adn.com
http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/
If you feel you could adiquately protect your self from thes animals with a .223 thats fine we can always go look for your body parts latter.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 08-10-2011 at 02:11 AM.