.44 vs .357...which one - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > .44 vs .357...which one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If I understand your post right your not looking for a gun for hunting or woods protection. So I would suggest a 44 special. It makes bigger holes don't over penetrate and is horrible medicine on a human.The 357 is also a good choice but has a lot of muzzle flash and more of a tendacy to go through a human.
Charter arms Bulldogs are great guns for concealed carry in 44 special.
A 44 magnum is way to much over kill for humans and will go right through a man and other things behind him and is desighned for hunting big critters not self protection.
How ever you can buy a short barrel 44 magnum and carry it and just shoot 44 special through it if you choose.
If you decide to take trip into some where that may take you where something may want to eat you you have a gun you can load with 44 magnum.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #12

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonscottkelly View Post
I do not have experience with either caliber.....looking to get a large caliber revolver with decent stopping power that would not be used for hunting ...which one would you recommend & why
I guess for home defense hell a 38 will do the job at the range you would be shooting and the 44 mag will have penetration that could kill the neighbor, along with the 357 , i myself prefer a shotgun with short barrel and pistol grip loaded with the frangible buckshot load,s ,will devastate flesh but just turns into powder on walls and brick.No concerns of bullet or shot going through neighbors kids bedroom.That alone could land you in prison as well, stick to something that is not magnum level for home defense over penetration is a real issue when ya standing in front of the district attorney,s office.

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
If I understand your post right your not looking for a gun for hunting or woods protection. So I would suggest a 44 special. It makes bigger holes don't over penetrate and is horrible medicine on a human.The 357 is also a good choice but has a lot of muzzle flash and more of a tendacy to go through a human.
Charter arms Bulldogs are great guns for concealed carry in 44 special.
A 44 magnum is way to much over kill for humans and will go right through a man and other things behind him and is desighned for hunting big critters not self protection.
How ever you can buy a short barrel 44 magnum and carry it and just shoot 44 special through it if you choose.
If you decide to take trip into some where that may take you where something may want to eat you you have a gun you can load with 44 magnum.
Agreed 100% dont use magnum loads for home defense 44 special is a great old cartridge ,and those bulldogs are great little pistol,s.That will do the job .

Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

.41 magnum, a happy medium.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #15

Liked 1460 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I can afford to practice with my .357 (shooting .38). Without serious and constant practice, neither will do you any good.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I am simply trying to diversify my collection....living in Boston suburbs I do not hunt much but want a revolver with solid knock down power.....of course, by knock down power, I am referring to anything that one would typically find threatening in the suburbs of any major city

Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #17

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonscottkelly View Post
I am simply trying to diversify my collection....living in Boston suburbs I do not hunt much but want a revolver with solid knock down power.....of course, by knock down power, I am referring to anything that one would typically find threatening in the suburbs of any major city
Well, after Monday we know you never know what to expect. We're all Bostonians today!

Ignore the "the DA will hang you" stuff all over the internet -- no-one ever has a single example to support their parroting. .357 is typically identified as a universal caliber to default to when you can have only one as it is so versatile.

Try looking at this and reading the whole thread as well as others if you do a search...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/best-shtf-pistol-64759/index2.html#post807199

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Here's another's perspective...

Old 04-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

If you're looking for a defensive weapon, a good high capacity 9MM would be even better.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

I like the .357 My Taurus Tracker is a *****cat to shoot with .38's and very manageable with hot .357's. The weight and porting help a lot. Not to get off the beaten path here but that little Ruger Single six there will digest that whole .22 line up you see there (from shorts to Magnums). I like versatile guns. I have been flirting with the idea of getting a .327... Lots of .32 options there so I've seen

trackersinglesix.jpg   22lineup.jpg