.22 cal air rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > .22 cal air rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 cal air rifle

What do you guys think about a .22 cal air rifle as a survival weapon? After considering this I feel, though inferior in power, it may just be the most ideal weapon for survival considering you have a more powerful version. The "ammo" is cheaper, weighs much less, takes up much less room, is quieter, and isn't really a firearm, though I think that depends on what state you reside in. I am no expert, and in fact am a bit naive in this regard, but I think it has enough power to take any small game out to 50 yds or so. You lose the ability to take medium game, though any rimfire isn't great at that task unless you can get a clean shot, though there's still no gaurantees. Although windy days may really effect your abilities to keep on target. There isn't really a need for a cleaning kit is there? Just brainstorming.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwhaincamo View Post
What do you guys think about a .22 cal air rifle as a survival weapon? After considering this I feel, though inferior in power, it may just be the most ideal weapon for survival considering you have a more powerful version. The "ammo" is cheaper, weighs much less, takes up much less room, is quieter, and isn't really a firearm, though I think that depends on what state you reside in. I am no expert, and in fact am a bit naive in this regard, but I think it has enough power to take any small game out to 50 yds or so. You lose the ability to take medium game, though any rimfire isn't great at that task unless you can get a clean shot, though there's still no gaurantees. Although windy days may really effect your abilities to keep on target. There isn't really a need for a cleaning kit is there? Just brainstorming.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "survival". Personally, I wouldn't go with anything less powerful than a .223, but in a pinch the best you have with you is the best you have. If you want to get rabbit and squirrel, a .22 is fine. If you want anything larger or if you need to defend yourself, it probably isn't.

I'm no air rifle expert, but 50 yards sounds a mite far to reliably tag and kill something with one. You'd do better with a .22lr.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #3

By survival I mean the procurement of food. I have a 44 Mag for defense, and close range medium-large game needs. Figuring I'd probably need to pack all that I'd need if everything were to turn to sh*t, I want to reduce weight and keep things small. The other idea I've been mulling over is a T/C Contender with a 44 and 22 barrel. But I could carry many times more pellets than rimfires, and my pistol would do I guess. Be nice to have a rifle, but isn't necessary.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default .177 an .22 air guns work but mostly small game

hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

While at present I ownly own a .177 match Air rifle I have owned a few 20 and 22 Caliber air rifles and even with beter pellets and under 25 years, they are still only suitable for small game, don't try racoon or Barger or Wolverene, unless ya wanna get really hurt? I have downed rats, Squerrls, and possums with my .177, my 20 and 22 caliber I did get Rabbits though a few larher jacks ran off as it not even hit? I did shoot a raccon once a Huge wone with a 22 Pellet gun and he turned and gave me that 'Now why did you do that look" then went back to raiding the trash can, I went to get my 22LR he had run off, no Blood trail never saw his dead or alive again? Trust ME SMALL GAME ONLY!

RON

Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

In my experience with shooting small game such as squirrels,high powered pellet guns actually do better than .22 rimfires,especially if you use a wadcutter.Rimfires pass on through a tiny animal so fast that the energy needed to kill the animal is lost.A wadcutter pellet at 1,000fps smacks the target hard,and deposits up to 100% of the energy,making a clean kill.I have killed opossums with 1,000 fps 7 grain .177 caliber guns,But I reccommend something better than that.Maybe a .22 caliber that reaches 1,000fps or a .177 that can reach 1,500-1,600fps.