Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default 2012

Ok guys, I read in an earlier post about the whole 2012 deal and how the shows on are catering to disasters because of the hysteria that the 2012 thing is already bring. How many of you think that something will happen in 2012 and if so, what will it be? I am curious because I am honestly worried a lil bit. I have two kids and like all of you with little ones want to see them grow up and have a better life than the one I had.

I am just wanting your alls input on this, maybe because I am hoping that you all will be able to put my mind at ease a little.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My input is that while the topic makes a GREAT plot for movies and hysteria, the world will not end in 2012.

Being prepared however, is always a good idea. We simply do not have divine clarity to know when and where disaster will strike. Prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

Could be an earthquake. Could be a wild fire. Could be a bombing. Could be a pandemic virus outbreak. Could be a gigantic asteroid. Could be someone breaking into your house at night. Could be the zombie apocalypse.

If you can dream it, prepare for it.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #3

I put my money on aliens probing the president that day..

Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American.

~ George S. Patton (1944)

Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i believe that it will not be a real problem, but one made by everyone freaking out thinking that something will happen.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

like y2k?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
like y2k?
'Zactly.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #7

While I dont know if 2012 holds direct significants, I do think we are headding towards something. Too many warning signs, both caused by man and natural disasters, to just ignore. Everything from cyber attacks to Katrina type disasters are all too common anymore. The right combination of events coming together in a perfect storm could make people do things they would normally not do just to survive and I am going to ensure to the best of my ability that has as minimal effect on my family as possible.
As many will say on here, it is always a smart thing to be prepared. What does prepared look like? Well, only you can answer that. For me it means being self sufficient for a very prolonged period of time. >2 years for us. Every year we add to our ready reserves. We cycle through semi perishables and the batteries on a first in first out basis. This also allows for us to monitor quality. If early dated material goes bad we can detect it within a month to a month and a half and take corrective measures. I number items in the root cellar like a pharmaceutical company would have lot numbers. Fuels get cycled through as well.
Anything that happens will mean a return to mother earth. To that end, I have plenty of seeds to plant and a lot of area to open up for food production.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #8

There are plenty of good reasons to think bad things lie ahead, but the "2012 apocalypse" is not among them.

One of my favorite bloggers, Brian Dunning, has a very good article that sums up the science and silliness behind the supposed end of the Mayan calendar. The truth is that the Mayan calendar isn't "ending" -- it's just wrapping around, much like our year count did during the 1999-2000 transition.

Here's a quote from Dunning's summary:

Quote:
... An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural lists 44 distinct end of the world predictions that all came and went unfulfilled. Why should we think that the 2012 legends are any different? Any examination of the science behind any of the stories, even a glib examination, reveals a complete absence of plausible foundation.
You can read the full article here:

Apocalypse 2012

Old 10-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I believe Jesus Christ is coming back one day. The Bible clearly states that no one knows the day or the hour that He will return. I believe the big date in 2012 is 12/21/2012, please correct me if I'm wrong. Will Jesus come back in 2012? Maybe, I don't know(you want to run away from anyone who claims to know) but I'm confident that it will not be 12/21/2012. I believe Jesus is coming back soon and if you don't know Him I highly suggest you take a look at His teachings. If you want to know more, shoot me a PM.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie-jeep View Post
i believe that it will not be a real problem, but one made by everyone freaking out thinking that something will happen.
That's what I was going to say. What gets me is no one has predicted a zombie apocalypse yet. I figured Nostradamus would have at least mentioned something about it.