Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 2 Way Radios, your suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 2 Way Radios, your suggestion

How many of you have 2 way walkie talkies and/or 5 band shortwave recievers? What would you suggest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

I use MURS (vhf) for when in the woods , frs/gmrs ( uhf ) for city's and CB for skipping .

My eyes are blue dang it.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Depends on what you want. For security, Trisquare's eXRS radios are excellent - they channel hop in a pseudo-random way over 10 billion channels. But they're limited in range to a couple miles tops.

CB will get you more range, but no security.

Something like the Puxing 777+ is a Ham unit requiring a license but may get you talking on the other side of the world assuming relays are up.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought a some 2 ways from the bass pro shop a few years back came with head sets, has a range of about 5 miles, 10 different channels.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7740 Times on 4471 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

i use a HAM radio that requires an amateur radio license, it is a Yaesu VX5R. If I were to buy another one today I would probably get a VX6R. If you don't want to get a license I would look into an FRS or GMRS. Any radio you get will not be "secure" since there are always people potentially listening in. There is an outfit called Amateur Electronics Supply (AESham.com) that sells all of these and much much more. One of the most important things on any radio is the antenna, I replaced mine the day I bought it and I have made a few better ones for different scenarios. One very versatile one is the wire J-Pole that rolls up and fits in a pocket. Bring that out into the woods with a roll of string and you would be surprised at how much further you can communicate. by tossing the string up in a tree and hoisting the J-Pole up as high as you can. If you can replace the antenna on the radio you choose you can make a J-Pole for it.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

frs/gmrs ( uhf ) for city's and CB for skipping. Also Vhf Marine Band.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
i use a HAM radio that requires an amateur radio license, it is a Yaesu VX5R. If I were to buy another one today I would probably get a VX6R.
Do you have any insight comparing the Yaesu, Icom, Puxing and Kenwood handheld models? Thanks for the tip on the VX6R.

Quote:
If you don't want to get a license I would look into an FRS or GMRS.
There's nothing wrong with those except the range is often terrible if you're not going to be relatively close to the individual you're trying to talk with.

Quote:
Any radio you get will not be "secure" since there are always people potentially listening in.
The reason I mentioned the eXRS is their frequency hopping spread spectrum over 10 billion channels. Changing channels a few times a second makes it tricky to listen in unless you have the channel-hopping algorithm and key. I'm sure it's not impossible to do it, but most people aren't going to have the technology to do it.

Quote:
There is an outfit called Amateur Electronics Supply (AESham.com) that sells all of these and much much more. One of the most important things on any radio is the antenna, I replaced mine the day I bought it and I have made a few better ones for different scenarios. One very versatile one is the wire J-Pole that rolls up and fits in a pocket. Bring that out into the woods with a roll of string and you would be surprised at how much further you can communicate. by tossing the string up in a tree and hoisting the J-Pole up as high as you can. If you can replace the antenna on the radio you choose you can make a J-Pole for it.
I've got several extra feet of antenna wire on my car's cb antenna. Is it best to coil it, wad it, spread it around or snip the excess?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #8

I'll handle these one at a time.

"Do you have any insight comparing the Yaesu, Icom, Puxing and Kenwood handheld models? Thanks for the tip on the VX6R."

Not really. They are all good radios and come with a price tag to match. My choice (the VX5R Yaesu) was based on the recommendation of the guy at the local HRO (Ham Radio Outlet, hamradio.com) and it has been a good radio.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #9

"There's nothing wrong with those except the range is often terrible if you're not going to be relatively close to the individual you're trying to talk with."

No argument there. I have had them work for over a mile on my ranch. I hear you can open them up and get more distance out of them but since those radios fulfilled my needs (unlicensed operators) I never opened them up. I should though just to see what I can get out of them. You need to know that the radios you buy at Costco say "up to 5 miles range", which is true, but that is direct line of sight. Again, you can open them up and get more range out of them. Also, I think you do need some sort of license or registration for the GMRS radios.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #10

"The reason I mentioned the eXRS is their frequency hopping spread spectrum over 10 billion channels. Changing channels a few times a second makes it tricky to listen in unless you have the channel-hopping algorithm and key. I'm sure it's not impossible to do it, but most people aren't going to have the technology to do it."

Don't be so sure about that. There are scanners that can scan and decode damned near anything these days. Not too long ago a buddy of mine tried to sell me (damn near give me) a scanner he picked up in Japan that would scan many frequencies I know are "secure" (I listened to some) but they were as clear as a bell.

Fact is anything that is sent via radio waves or land line can be compromised. That's why bin Laden had no phone and no internet in his hidey-hole.

Unless you are comfortable having what you say posted on a billboard in Times square, don't say it. (that goes for pictures too!)