2 way radios - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 2 way radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrebel View Post
Is there a big ham radio community? Because it's always interested me so

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Seems to be a pretty dedicated following.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #62
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8953 Times on 5202 Posts
Likes Given: 11768

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrebel View Post
Is there a big ham radio community? Because it's always interested me so

Oh heck yeah there is! Worldwide as a matter of fact. Ham radio has been around for a long time and probably rivals firearms as far as enthusiasts are concerned. I have talked to other Hams all around the world. Take a look here to see how to get started http://www.arrl.org/

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #63

Liked 56 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Most cellular plans offer free mobile to mobile calling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
The only way to go IMHO
Sort of along these lines is an even better, infinite range, relatively secure option. It gives you the feel of a radio, used through the ubiquitous smartphone over either a data connection or wi-fi connection.

I'm talking about an app that has allowed a revolution to communicate, organize and largely prevail thus far in Venezuela. It's called "Zello," and I first heard about it here:

This Is the App That’s Fueling the Uprising in Venezuela

I was intrigued by it, and since it's free, I went ahead and installed it on my phone, my wife's personal and work phones, and on my laptop. The range is literally global, as long as the receiving party(s) has connectivity to the internet. Unlike a phone call, you can talk as long as you want to people thousands of miles away with no overseas charges. It is an extremely low-bandwidth consumer, so even one or two-gig data plans can use it without incurring overages, but you should monitor your usage just to be safe. Of course, if you have access to wi-fi, you incur zero charges or depletion of your available data.

So if you're a radio purist, this won't be for you. You can think of it as either a Push-To-Talk or walkie-talkie simulator, but unless you just really enjoy limited range, tons of static and limited channels, for a portable radio-type of device, you really can't go wrong with this app. There are several reviews posted on YouTube, and though I don't understand the usefulness of it, there are several describing how to interface with HAM and the kinds of hand-held radios y'all started talking about in the beginning of the thread.

Read the link about how significant Zello has been in Venezuela, and you'll find out a lot more features than my wife and I have any use for, such as channels that can have as many as (I think) 700 individuals being broadcast to with each transmission. You'll also find that the developer believes strongly in unrestricted communications, and has even written a Venezuela-specific release after the government down there figured out how to block the first release. I don't know if the developer is American or not, but he sounds like a very "1st-Amendment-Warrior" kind of guy.

CzarChasm
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to Police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Oh heck yeah there is! Worldwide as a matter of fact. Ham radio has been around for a long time and probably rivals firearms as far as enthusiasts are concerned. I have talked to other Hams all around the world. Take a look here to see how to get started http://www.arrl.org/
Awesome thanks bro

Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #65
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I used to be a Ham/CB hobbyist. I'm going to check out the App...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #66
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8953 Times on 5202 Posts
Likes Given: 11768

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I used to be a Ham/CB hobbyist. I'm going to check out the App...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Did you ever get your Ham license?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1243 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
An 18 mile range for a $40 piece of equipment?

I rather doubt it. I know its not you claiming that, Jimski, but the site.

Personally, knowing a bit about how radios operate, I don't buy into that.
From having been a radioman in the Navy, and having had a personal interest in radios and communications equipment since childhood, and from having built radios, I can tell you unequivocally that nothing close to what's advertised, with respect to range, will be achieved by a $40 dollar handheld from a commercial manufacturer.

$40 worth of parts can give you a fairly powerful FM transmitter (that wouldn't be legal to operate without a license, BTW) but most of the $40 of a handheld radio is packaging, advertising, and what I call design engineering (making the thing look/feel/fit/function the way it does and perform in a relatively consistent manner).
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #68

Liked 1177 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 776

Quote:
From having been a radioman in the Navy, and having had a personal interest in radios and communications equipment since childhood, and from having built radios, I can tell you unequivocally that nothing close to what's advertised, with respect to range, will be achieved by a $40 dollar handheld from a commercial manufacturer.

$40 worth of parts can give you a fairly powerful FM transmitter (that wouldn't be legal to operate without a license, BTW) but most of the $40 of a handheld radio is packaging, advertising, and what I call design engineering (making the thing look/feel/fit/function the way it does and perform in a relatively consistent manner).
Excellent insight. So, how would we build YOUR version of the $40 radio? For SHTF use only, of course.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1243 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Excellent insight. So, how would we build YOUR version of the $40 radio? For SHTF use only, of course.
Who will use it?

What frequency band?

Which modes of operation (I'm going to assume voice transmit and receive)?

What type of user interface does it need to have (what type of tuning controls, input/output)?

What type of power input can it use (battery or vehicle)?

How high does the quality of the signal processing need to be?

You're not going to get a lot for $40 dollars. It will be functional, but it won't be pretty and will not be as compact as a commercial unit.

Also, nobody said anything about the parts having to be brand new so I assume I can use whatever I need to scavenge to build it, right?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #70

Liked 1177 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 776

LOL, that's a lot of questions. Man-portable, but able to run off a vehicle's 12V system, as light as possible, battery powered, multi frequency, able to get good distance (10 miles?) in semi-hilly terrain. Let's say you have a budget larger than 40 bucks, and if justified, (for weight savings, reliability, range, compactness, etc.), you can use new parts. Say, 200 bucks tops per unit.

But, at that price, might you do better going to one of the quality commercial radios?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.