2 way radios - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 2 way radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most CB walkie talkies can reach a mile or so. Any further than that you need an VHF radio with a 25 watt booster built in. With the VHF radio you can talk for many miles, everyone with an VHF radio can hear you for miles too.

We use CB radios without a booster for deer hunting. Once it is known what channel you are using to hunt everyone from the game warden to poachers are listening. We use low powered CB radios for that reason. You can always relay messages to hunters who are out of range.
if you are not hunting illegally what would it matter if the game was listening in on the conversations?

and poachers generally operate in secret at night with on one around to do their illegal deeds. again i don't see an issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:46 AM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if you are not hunting illegally what would it matter if the game was listening in on the conversations?

and poachers generally operate in secret at night with on one around to do their illegal deeds. again i don't see an issue.
The deal around here is that DFG will ruin your hunt to check your tags, licenses, ammo, guns and prostate. You don't need to be doing anything illegal for the CA DFG to screw with you.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 AM   #53
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The deal around here is that DFG will ruin your hunt to check your tags, licenses, ammo, guns and prostate. You don't need to be doing anything illegal for the CA DFG to screw with you.
maybe it's different in other states, but when i did hunt years ago, not once did we ever run into the game warden in the woods. personally, i have only had the game warden check me out one time in my life and that was when i was fishing. he asked to see our fishing licenses and left after he was satisfied with them.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
maybe it's different in other states, but when i did hunt years ago, not once did we ever run into the game warden in the woods. personally, i have only had the game warden check me out one time in my life and that was when i was fishing. he asked to see our fishing licenses and left after he was satisfied with them.
I have rarely encountered game wardens myself- I am always on private land so that helps. But a couple of years ago Discovery Channel started doing this Game Wardens reality show and had crews out in one of the areas where I hunt (Tres Pinos/Hollister/Pinoche Valley) and the guys I hunt with were getting hassled all the time. Wardens would cut fences and locks to get on private land to search hunters in an effort to get some footage to make it on TV. Not sure if they ever did or not, but there was some shady stuff going on.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #55

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

I actually just ordered a baofeng UV5RE + looking forward to learning it .

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
I actually just ordered a baofeng UV5RE + looking forward to learning it .
Those are serviceable radios. I recommend you spend a bit on the antenna though. Might be more than you spent on the radio but it will be worth it.

Also, you do need a license to transmit on those frequencies.

Quote:

Old 03-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
The game wardens are just as bad in this area. If you are driving deer with dogs or on foot, you can expect to be dealing with the game warden for at least a couple hours. Then the game warden will take his dog all through the area you are hunting trying to find anyone who might be hiding.

Game wardens in this area just want to write enough tickets to make it look like he was busy for eight hours as fast as possible. I was at a boat landing minding my own business when a game warden found a short fish on a another anglers boat. The guy claimed I gave him the short fish. The game warden actually wrote me a ticket. The judge asked the game warden if he believes everyone who claims they were given a short fish. The charges were thrown out of court.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #58

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Those are serviceable radios. I recommend you spend a bit on the antenna though. Might be more than you spent on the radio but it will be worth it.

Also, you do need a license to transmit on those frequencies.
yea i'm going to try for a technician license

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
yea i'm going to try for a technician license
Great! Go here to find an exam site near you and for some study resources. http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

I find this site to be helpful in studying. You can take practice exams all day long for free. You do have to register but that is so you can keep going back and testing from the same point you left off. You might be able to do it without registering. http://qrz.com/hamtest/

Quote:

Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #60

Is there a big ham radio community? Because it's always interested me so

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app