2 way radios - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 2 way radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Jimski have you actually used these? I have similar and the range is more like a half mile.
I just tested the walkie's and the 18 mile range that Midland states is a bunch of BS! It's more like half a mile. There fine for my use but not much more.

Jim

Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

The old standby CB radios give you 5 watts. A base station and good antenna will give you more range but they are overused by idiots that like to hear them selves talk and make funny noises. I dont know if they have SSB on hand helds. In a shtf situation the portable marine radios would do a good job but are illegal for general use on land.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6355 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 5930

Get the Ham license and a 25 watt vehicle model and a couple of of 5 watt handi-talkies. you can run or charge them off of your car battery or a solar panel. 2 meter rigs rigs work well.

If you're going to set up base camps, you can even get a repeater. 20-25 mile range without repeaters. (At least out here in the Rockies.)

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #24

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Someone set me straight if I'm wrong, but....it is not illegal to OWN, or MODIFY these radios, but is IS illegal to use them, without a license. So, in a prepping situation, would one way to go be get a good quality radio, and modify it for greater output thereby increasing it's range? Then, or course, you'd have to put it away until the SHTF, in which case it wouldn't matter.
This scenario has been bugging me ever since I started watching The Walking Dead. In spite of having 2 (and then 1) cops in the group, they don't use radios. Why? That would have solved a lot of their problems over the 1st 4 seasons.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Someone set me straight if I'm wrong, but....it is not illegal to OWN, or MODIFY these radios, but is IS illegal to use them, without a license. So, in a prepping situation, would one way to go be get a good quality radio, and modify it for greater output thereby increasing it's range? Then, or course, you'd have to put it away until the SHTF, in which case it wouldn't matter.
This scenario has been bugging me ever since I started watching The Walking Dead. In spite of having 2 (and then 1) cops in the group, they don't use radios. Why? That would have solved a lot of their problems over the 1st 4 seasons.
Rick tried using a radio every dawn for a little while, I believe in the first season, ti try ti contact the first friend he made. The black guy.

Maybe they were just trying to conserve batteries.

By the way, there isn't any way, to the best of my knowledge, to modify a radio to increase its range. Now, changing the antenna, that would affect its range.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #26
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts

Default 2 way radios

I don't watch the show, but having been an electronics hobby geek, you can increase a radio's range If it has older circuit boards
By turning a POT(potentiometer) to raise the output power....
Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #27

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts

Yes, Rick did use a radio on those early episodes to try to contact his friend. After that, they dropped it. Not sure why, a radio would be an invaluable tool in a situation like that.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #28

Liked 536 Times on 363 Posts

Yes you're CBS can be adjusted it is called tweak and peak tweak is fine tuning to get on exactly on the channel that you want most radios come preset fairly close but can be adjusted to be more precise on each channel.
And you can turn up the power a little bit to the point where will start to over modulating.
And you can still pick up a power booster to boost your signal not legal in most places but you can still get it.

EZ

Old 03-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 232

This is my experience with the consumer 2-way radios such as FRS and GMRS.

The range is grossly overstated. When the companies are discussing range they pretty much are talking about being on top of a mountain with direct line of sight to someone else.

There are two factors that YOU should be concerned about when choosing a 2-way.

1) POWER OUTPUT. Legally the most power a GMRS can output is 5 watts (USA) and only 1/2 watt on the FRS channels (USA). Only select a radio that allows you to transmit a full 5 watts on the GMRS channels.

2) ANTENNA LENGTH. This is not rocket science. A bigger antenna has a better chance of capturing more of the radio waves (remember: consumer 2-way radios that come with the antenna built in and are properly tuned). It does no good to transmit a full 5 watts on a one inch tall antenna. I have pulled some of these radios apart and what I have found is the cheaper ones with the short antennas actually have the same length of wire in the antenna, however it is thinner wire. On the contrary the ones with the big antennas are made up of thicker wire.

In the end, I spend my money with Midland because I like the quality of their products. They make a radio what it should be, a radio; without throwing in useless stuff like some of their competitors. In addition, almost all of their radios have the ability to transmit with 5 watts power. They have various headset types that can be used with their radios and the belt clips actually work, unlike Motorola which in my experience always break.

A final thought: If you are truly concerned about SHTF or emergency communication, then you should have multiple options. Others have suggested CB and ham radios. You might also look into marine band radios as these don't require a license; however you should also look into the legality of using them on land. Just remember, radios are susceptible to interception and 2-way FRS, GMRS, and CB are some of the most common ones out there.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
1) POWER OUTPUT. Legally the most power a GMRS can output is 5 watts (USA) and only 1/2 watt on the FRS channels (USA). Only select a radio that allows you to transmit a full 5 watts on the GMRS channels.

Just remember, radios are susceptible to interception and 2-way FRS, GMRS, and CB are some of the most common ones out there.
A note for those concerned about their radio traffic being intercepted: you get more range out of transmitting on a higher power, yes. It is also easier to be intercepted on a higher power.

Always have clean socks.