Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 1st preparing steps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
No,no, HOT, LONG shower........does a system exist that can do that?
Sorry, my context changed. With the mention of gasoline, I started to think generator, and in a more temporary sense. We just did 2 days without power, and used our generator.......thats why I was mentioning the long hot shower. I realize in a true SHTF situation, this would not be the norm....

I was also kinda joking, shoulda put a smiley in there.....

Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #22

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Twenty five years ago I decided to be less materialistic. I moved into a small trailer (30') in a fairly remote location. Game was plentiul as was wild edible vegitation. I engaged this lifestyle as a personal challenge and managed to do it to my satisaction. Hot showers were accomplished by heating water in a metal 5 gal. bucket and pouring 1/3 into a plastic 5 gal bucket with a series of 1/8" holes drilled in the bottom, attached to a line that ran through a pulley in a tree. Pull the bucket up and get wet while washing my body. The water usually ran out before I finished scrubbing and soaping but would continue until done and use the other 2/3 bucket to rinse. I eventually perected this to a 3 gallon, very enjoyable shower and overnight visitors would oten partake in my unorthodox hygenic convenience. This became my normal lifestyle and wasn't hard to adjust to. Leeks, berrys, nuts, Potatoes I planted, cow slips, watercress, fish, deer, grouse, wood chucksand alot of other natural food sources were mainstays around my perpetual camp fire. Although this life was not all that desireable to friends and family, it somehow managed to quite often draw week end company that enjoyed "roughing it". my tools were a 22lr Remington pump, a Mossberg 500 12ga. and a Remington 30.06. There was a game warden 2 miles down the road who often dropped off a deer that had been taken by a farmer protecting his crops. I ate so much venison that I thought beef had a funny taste. I gradually managed to progress or digress (however you may see it) back into a more normal way of living. I have developed a rather severe, sometimes even crippling case of rheumatoid arthritis that would probably make that life more difficult but with necessity and help from ablebodied step sons very doable. I have acquired several more firearms that I'm considering selling to preparing SHTf supplys. It sure would be easier if I knew what kind of s was hit the f.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 11-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #23

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
we have a well, all we'd have to do is find a way to get the water out. Should work on that next.
They sell manual hand pumps that go right on your well head cap. They're not cheap, though:
http://www.bisonpumps.com/

You're looking at 800-900 bucks all told.

As for basic "newbie" prepping, I'm in a similar boat, though a few steps ahead of you.
I'm not familiar with your living situation and such, but here's what I did:

Buy canned or preserved food on sale. My local Hannaford puts various things on sale every week, and places big bins near the front entrance filled with that product. Every week, I grab one of whatever is on sale. Last week it was wax beans. I HATE wax beans, but I realize that if things go all hairy, I'm going to learn to like wax beans quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Put up a few gallon containers of water under your sink or in the back of a closet. You can either buy containers, or just buy containers of Poland Spring (or Wal-Mart brand, it's water!). Those little places in your house you never think of, like the back corners of the hall closet are perfect for storing prepping items like that.

Get a hand-cranked AM radio, a big box of matches, and twice as many candles as you think you need. They go in a box next to the water and canned food. Put a deck of cards and a book of crossword puzzles in there as well.

That's all the basic stuff that will keep you alive through small-time issues. Lock the doors and close the curtains until the cavalry arrives. Those are the absolute basics.

After you've accomplished that, you can start learning additional skills like gardening, hunting, canning, etc. Not everyone is capable of those skills, so you really have to tailor your plans to your individual situation.

Oh, and as an aside...if you don't fancy eating canned foods on a regular basis as part of your rotation, donate them to your local food pantry or homeless shelter. The recipients will appreciate it, it's typically tax deductible, and you probably wont have sunk a ton of cash into it by buying cheap in the first place. Then, just restock what you donated.

Last edited by therhino; 11-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #24

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Kind of in he same boat as you as far as the well water and storing gasoline...

This makes sense especially if you're on a well, anyone who is knows what happens when the power goes out... Ya can't flush the toilet with air and I ain't poopin' in the woods!! anymore

http://www.waterbob.com/Welcome.do;jsessionid=8B26D5B9BBF64EB8BCCDA5EA3B4C D76F

Power goes out, run the genny just long enough to fill 'er up, cut if off and save gas for next time. You have drinking, cooking, cleaning and flushing water.
If you run out of water because you won't **** in the woods, you aren,t looking at your situation realisticaly and probably wouldn't survive a a real shth situation.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #25

I think he may have been kidding, and/or coming at it from a smaller timeframe standpoint.....and I agree with him. That's why I'm interested in being able to get water from my well without power. That way it would be business as normal with the water situation. If the well doesn't run dry now, it won't when SHTF, either.

Just as a side note, those commercial toilets do use compressed air to flush. (You know, the ones that seem to be able to suck down an elephant.....)

Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5653 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 6017

My preparations for the SHTF scenario were simple. Love and trust in my god, live in the boonies on a great 160 year old hand dug stacked well, have some guns, keep some extra food around, have space for my kids and grandkids to come home to and pray for peace. I do want to survive but some scenarios dont bode well for living at any cost, thats where a healthy supply of Gentleman Jack Danial's and trusting in my lord kicks in....

Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #27

Quote:
My preparations for the SHTF scenario were simple. Love and trust in my god, live in the boonies on a great 160 year old hand dug stacked well, have some guns, keep some extra food around, have space for my kids and grandkids to come home to and pray for peace. My preparations for the SHTF scenario were simple. Love and trust in my god, live in the boonies on a great 160 year old hand dug stacked well, have some guns, keep some extra food around, have space for my kids and grandkids to come home to and pray for peace. I do want to survive but some scenarios dont bode well for living at any cost, thats where a healthy supply of Gentleman Jack Danial's and trusting in my lord kicks in....
That's not a bad plan. Although for me personally, GOD would not enter into the equation. Interesting, you are the 1st person I recall saying anything to this effect:

Quote:
I do want to survive but some scenarios dont bode well for living at any cost, thats where a healthy supply of Gentleman Jack Danial's and trusting in my lord kicks in....

Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #28

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino

They sell manual hand pumps that go right on your well head cap. They're not cheap, though:
http://www.bisonpumps.com/

You're looking at 800-900 bucks all told.

As for basic "newbie" prepping, I'm in a similar boat, though a few steps ahead of you.
I'm not familiar with your living situation and such, but here's what I did:

Buy canned or preserved food on sale. My local Hannaford puts various things on sale every week, and places big bins near the front entrance filled with that product. Every week, I grab one of whatever is on sale. Last week it was wax beans. I HATE wax beans, but I realize that if things go all hairy, I'm going to learn to like wax beans quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Put up a few gallon containers of water under your sink or in the back of a closet. You can either buy containers, or just buy containers of Poland Spring (or Wal-Mart brand, it's water!). Those little places in your house you never think of, like the back corners of the hall closet are perfect for storing prepping items like that.

Get a hand-cranked AM radio, a big box of matches, and twice as many candles as you think you need. They go in a box next to the water and canned food. Put a deck of cards and a book of crossword puzzles in there as well.

That's all the basic stuff that will keep you alive through small-time issues. Lock the doors and close the curtains until the cavalry arrives. Those are the absolute basics.

After you've accomplished that, you can start learning additional skills like gardening, hunting, canning, etc. Not everyone is capable of those skills, so you really have to tailor your plans to your individual situation.

Oh, and as an aside...if you don't fancy eating canned foods on a regular basis as part of your rotation, donate them to your local food pantry or homeless shelter. The recipients will appreciate it, it's typically tax deductible, and you probably wont have sunk a ton of cash into it by buying cheap in the first place. Then, just restock what you donated.
Hannaford?... Poland springs???...
Penobscot here, checking in! :-D

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #29

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

Hannaford?... Poland springs???...
Penobscot here, checking in! :-D
Penobscot indian?? My husband is penobscot, I thought he was the only one. Lol

Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #30

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976

Penobscot indian?? My husband is penobscot, I thought he was the only one. Lol
I live in Penobscot, I'm not an Indian. Lol.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...