1st preparing steps?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 1st preparing steps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Default 1st preparing steps?

The wife & I, (well, mostly me), were wondering how we should prepare. We don't want to go overboard as far as dollars spent. We don't want to end up being forced to eat or throw away stuff that is/going to be out of date. What do we REALLY need, VS. just what we want? Either list could potentially be endless.
I thought maybe storing things like liquor, TP, sliver, soap could give you bartering power. Most of these things either will be used no matter what, and/or will never go bad.

How about starting a list of barter items that have a indefinite shelf life or that you would use up in any case?

TP
Liquor
Soap
shoes
silver
matches/lighters
clothes
guns
ammo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8887 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

First, get yourself in shape (if you are not already) Set aside time to go walking 3 days a week if you are not already in a fitness regimen.

Stuff for barter is good- but that presumes being around long enuff to need to barter. Start with some basic camping gear (and thrift shop/used is fine IF it is in good shape) Couple of GOOD backpacks, canteens, lightweight cooking gear, sleeping bags, even a lighweight tent.

Water, calories, shelter, medical/first aid. Does not have to be MREs or freeze dried anythings- pick up a few extra cans or boxes of a long life food you like each time you go shopping. Rotate that as a normal part of your diet, using up older stock as you go.

From there, you can branch out into some of the more advanced things.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I agree with the previous person. Your assuming about bartering.
I would start out with necessities for me and my immediate Family such as Water ( a minimum of 1 gal per person a day) Food ( dry beans, oatmeal, spam, Tuna,) save stuff you like to eat and just watch the dates and rotate the stuff.
After the food & water then probably go for defense like Guns and Ammo
Theres plenty of info on this forum. Good luck and have fun wit's it . It's wise to be prepared for any disaster for a minimum of 2 weeks supplies. IMO

Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

1. Get out of debt. Debt is a cancer you can beat if your put your mind to it.

2. Start storing what you and yours need to live for a week. Work on doubling that time span as often as you can. Go into each room of your house with a pen and paper and write down what you would really, really miss if you didn't have any more of it. There's your shopping list.

3. Look at ways to become self-sufficient - grow/hunt/fish, learn the medicinal qualities wild plants offer, etc.

4. Work on building an alternate store of wealth - gold, silver or land. This won't help you in a SHTF situation, but it will give you something valuable to work with after that time.

5. Throughout it all, knock off the bad behaviors - smoking, drinking, eating crap - and get in shape.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #5

I don't think we will be bugging out. The wife simply could not handle it, I'd have to leave her behind. So. We don't drink, or smoke, we didn't have ANY debt until recently, (just bought a new truck, but it could be paid off anytime we wanted), we have a well, all we'd have to do is find a way to get the water out. Should work on that next. The problem with saving the food is we don't really WANT or LIKE to eat those things, (who likes SPAM & spagetti-O's, anyway?) so rotating them would be hard. If we HAD to eat those things, that'd be different.
I suppose where we lack the most would be the hunting, & fishing thing. I so don't care to do either, or eat that stuff. But I know people who do. I don't garden, but I'm pretty sure I could.

Anyways, maybe we'll find out soon. As we speak, the S is HTF right now around here. (If you believe the news.) By Tuesday morning, we might be dead. We're in Southern NH, supposedly in the path of the storm that's probably going to turn out to be nothing, like all the others......

Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

My brother- while it IS good to pay attention to the weather and news, this is not time spoken of in Revelations- those of us that are your Southern Neighbors go thru several hurricanes each year. They usually play out before they get to your neck of the woods.

In re: Food. PLEASE do NOT go the "100 lbs of powdered eggs" route- you want to pick things you DO like to eat. (I happen to like SPAM) If what you like is homemade bread, lay in some flour and yeast, and a dozen recipes.

One of the most valuable things you can acquire is knowledge- and one of the cheapest. However, if you ever reach the OMG THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING stage of things, info on a computer may be unreachable- books are good. Gardening would be an excellent start. Preserving food another (grew up as a country boy long ago, learned much of that at Mom's knee and Dad's elbow) Beer and wine making worth considering.

I personally class "self reliance" in about 3 flavors-
A. We are on our own, cut off from utilities and other resources for a few days
B. We are on our own, cut off from utilities and other resources for weeks
C. Something messed up HUGELY, and that life is not coming back for years.

A is easy and fairly cheap to prepare for, B more expensive, and C- hell, I don't know that ANYONE is prepared to be Robinson Crusoe for the rest of their lives. (Some folks THINK they are)

Reference bugging out- like yourself, my plans are for bugging IN, however, sometimes the real world did not read your plans. IF your home base is rendered uninhabitable by circumstances beyond your control (See Chernobyl and Bhopal India) you may have to. All else fails, walking can put 20 miles a day between you and Armageddon.

In the meantime, it makes for a good hobby, allows you to take responsibility for your own welfare, and sometimes when it is 10 degrees, and power has been off for 4 days, it is nice to invite the neighbors over to get warm, share chili and cornbread, and play gin rummy. They are the folks that plow my garden for me.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #7

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I don't think we will be bugging out. The wife simply could not handle it, I'd have to leave her behind. So. We don't drink, or smoke, we didn't have ANY debt until recently, (just bought a new truck, but it could be paid off anytime we wanted), we have a well, all we'd have to do is find a way to get the water out. Should work on that next. The problem with saving the food is we don't really WANT or LIKE to eat those things, (who likes SPAM & spagetti-O's, anyway?) so rotating them would be hard. If we HAD to eat those things, that'd be different.
I suppose where we lack the most would be the hunting, & fishing thing. I so don't care to do either, or eat that stuff. But I know people who do. I don't garden, but I'm pretty sure I could.

Anyways, maybe we'll find out soon. As we speak, the S is HTF right now around here. (If you believe the news.) By Tuesday morning, we might be dead. We're in Southern NH, supposedly in the path of the storm that's probably going to turn out to be nothing, like all the others......
Right here!

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

lol, the part about the weather right now was said in a sarcastic way - I don't really think anything's going to happen.

I agree with your A,B&C, C3. We've got A down, no prob. I suppose we'd have B, too, but for the lack of enough fuel for the generator. We can't store that much gas.....and C indeed would be tough. Dare I say almost impossible? Unless you were loaded.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

Keep in mind that preparing doesn't have to be expensive and can actually save you a lot of money. Gardening gives you better produce than you can buy and it really cuts down on the grocery bill. Not to mention its fun. The same goes for hunting and fishing. A lot of things can also serve many purposes. Precious metals could potentially be used for barter but they can also serve as a hedge against inflation or currency collapse. Gardening saves money and can help improve your health (from the physical work of gardening and by improving your diet). Guns can be used for hunting, defense, and another possible hedge against inflation. Of course you can put a lot of money into it, but it isn't a requirement.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Just ran across this on a fun little site called FML. Sometimes folks DO get carried away-

Today, my dad watched the news and decided to start preparing for Hurricane Sandy by buying $300 worth of long-life and canned food. We live in Australia. FML