$1000 to spend. How do you spend it?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > $1000 to spend. How do you spend it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default $1000 to spend. How do you spend it?

This is a discussion on how you would budget money for each of your SHTF "commodities".

I'm concerned with:

Junk Silver
Food Storage
Water
Guns and Ammo

If this is your list, and you had $1000 to spend at any given time, how would you budget for each item? 25% to each? More to one over another? Pretend that you're starting from nothing. What would your goal be? Would you want 1 year of food and water? 1000 rounds for each caliber you own? What about calibers you don't own? Would you want to stock them anyway, as barter goods?

What are your goals?

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #2

If i had to start from scratch, i would probably start out with a Mosin Nagant and a couple 440 round spam cans of FMJ, and a few boxes of soft point hunting ammo. Next would be good gun cleaning supplies. Then some sort of frame pack and fill it with a decent amount of canned/dehydrated food, enough for a few days, water purification tablets, cutting tool, paracord, and other odds and ends. A good canteen would also come in handy.

Nick L.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #3

Default At this point

I'm working on my years stockpile of food and water, so that's where I's focus the lion's share.

I've got just about enough fire arms (there are two more on my short list but nothing I couldn't live without) to hold off the Zombie hordes and a smidgen over 8000 rounds so I'm good there.

Now, if that $1000 came into my possession on my way to the Tanner gun show the day after tomorrow, it might not survive the trip.

But I'm only human.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #4

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Ruger 10/22(could be used one) and 1000+ rounds of ammo and extra clip say $300
water filters - bag style at cheaper than dirt $50 and a backpacker style (several choices) say about $100
3 of the 5 gallon buckets of 275 servings of food at $100 each= $300
Cans of food with a lot of meat products as the bucket packs have no meat and little protein ( spam,tuna,chunky soup,stew,etc) $200
hand can openers, matches, lighters, first aid kit, blankets, tarp, paper products, etc
I think we used up your $1000

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Water filter system like a Berkey, personal care products, junk silver and ammo. The rest is covered.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 924

M1 Garand...

Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Planning for a SHTF scenario isn't smart for a number of reasons, among them if nothing bad ever happens many people end up selling what they bought, they feel stupid, and they're LESS likely to get into prepping, and also because it doesn't work too well to get a person into a mindset of living a little differently day-to-day in ways that will keep them comfortable in a SHTF situation but which will also save them money and let them eat better if nothing ever goes wrong at all.

If you're on a firearms forum, chances are good you have at least one firearm. Keep a minimum of 1000 rounds on hand for each caliber or gauge you have. Defense and hunting are important but not as important as having supplies on hand.

If you have not started prepping at all, get a store of water and food together before you do much else. I found a great resource in a local LDS Cannery facility that sells a bunch of good food in professionally sealed cans that will last upward of 30 years AND it's cheap. Search this forum for LDS Cannery and you'll find links to it - maybe there's one near you.

But also start learning now how to put together to have a pretty big veggie garden and maybe plant fruit trees next year. Learn to hunt if you don't already do it, and learn to fish.

If you're dependent on prescription meds, read up on what you take to see if they can be stored past their designated shelf life. Many can be safely stored with no decrease in effectiveness, others can be dangerous if used after a certain time. If your situation can be improved by a change in lifestyle (eg: you're the sort of diabetic who could benefit from eating well and exercising, do it!) or if there are medicinal plants that would benefit you that will grow in your region, plan to get them in the ground next spring.

When prepping, always look for opportunities to prep. If you need a new pair of hiking boots or shoes and you find a great sale, buy two or more pairs instead of just one pair. That way, you know you will be set for a while. When you find a sale that's good enough to convince you to buy one piece of clothing, buy more than one. Same goes with anything - toothpaste, toilet paper, light bulbs...whatever. When you go to the grocery store for some items, buy at least twice the amount you need of stuff that has a long shelf life (boxed and canned goods) and store what you don't need right away.

Power and water purification can be big issues. If you have a natural water source nearby, buy a means to purify water. I have a Big Berkey and recommend it very highly. Get a generator if you don't already have one. If you can install a transfer switch in your home, so much the better. Keep as much fuel as you can safely store on hand and be sure to rotate it out every six months or a year (fuel your vehicle with it).

Many people are rightly concerned about economic turmoil. Storing physical gold and silver at your home in a safe is a store of wealth that won't crap out like stocks, bonds or even currency may. If you can do it, I recommend it. Junk silver is fine. Sovereign gold and silver is always good to keep, but generic bullion rounds and bars are also fine if they show weight and purity.

$1000 won't get you set for any bad situation that might come your way, but it will get you started. In order of priority, I'd suggest a water purification system, food and water storage (make sure you get food and water-grade containers with good seals like gamma lids if you're storing loose stuff like beans, rice or pasta), and get a store of necessary meds together.

The next time you have $1000 to spend, get your ammo stocked up and maybe more firearms to fill in any gaps you might have. Buy clothing and other consumable supplies and store them away.

And the next time you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, build up a store of wealth. I recommend silver bullion because it's relatively cheap.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Planning for a SHTF scenario isn't smart for a number of reasons, among them if nothing bad ever happens many people end up selling what they bought, they feel stupid, and they're LESS likely to get into prepping, and also because it doesn't work too well to get a person into a mindset of living a little differently day-to-day in ways that will keep them comfortable in a SHTF situation but which will also save them money and let them eat better if nothing ever goes wrong at all.

If you're on a firearms forum, chances are good you have at least one firearm. Keep a minimum of 1000 rounds on hand for each caliber or gauge you have. Defense and hunting are important but not as important as having supplies on hand.

If you have not started prepping at all, get a store of water and food together before you do much else. I found a great resource in a local LDS Cannery facility that sells a bunch of good food in professionally sealed cans that will last upward of 30 years AND it's cheap. Search this forum for LDS Cannery and you'll find links to it - maybe there's one near you.

But also start learning now how to put together to have a pretty big veggie garden and maybe plant fruit trees next year. Learn to hunt if you don't already do it, and learn to fish.

If you're dependent on prescription meds, read up on what you take to see if they can be stored past their designated shelf life. Many can be safely stored with no decrease in effectiveness, others can be dangerous if used after a certain time. If your situation can be improved by a change in lifestyle (eg: you're the sort of diabetic who could benefit from eating well and exercising, do it!) or if there are medicinal plants that would benefit you that will grow in your region, plan to get them in the ground next spring.

When prepping, always look for opportunities to prep. If you need a new pair of hiking boots or shoes and you find a great sale, buy two or more pairs instead of just one pair. That way, you know you will be set for a while. When you find a sale that's good enough to convince you to buy one piece of clothing, buy more than one. Same goes with anything - toothpaste, toilet paper, light bulbs...whatever. When you go to the grocery store for some items, buy at least twice the amount you need of stuff that has a long shelf life (boxed and canned goods) and store what you don't need right away.

Power and water purification can be big issues. If you have a natural water source nearby, buy a means to purify water. I have a Big Berkey and recommend it very highly. Get a generator if you don't already have one. If you can install a transfer switch in your home, so much the better. Keep as much fuel as you can safely store on hand and be sure to rotate it out every six months or a year (fuel your vehicle with it).

Many people are rightly concerned about economic turmoil. Storing physical gold and silver at your home in a safe is a store of wealth that won't crap out like stocks, bonds or even currency may. If you can do it, I recommend it. Junk silver is fine. Sovereign gold and silver is always good to keep, but generic bullion rounds and bars are also fine if they show weight and purity.

$1000 won't get you set for any bad situation that might come your way, but it will get you started. In order of priority, I'd suggest a water purification system, food and water storage (make sure you get food and water-grade containers with good seals like gamma lids if you're storing loose stuff like beans, rice or pasta), and get a store of necessary meds together.

The next time you have $1000 to spend, get your ammo stocked up and maybe more firearms to fill in any gaps you might have. Buy clothing and other consumable supplies and store them away.

And the next time you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, build up a store of wealth. I recommend silver bullion because it's relatively cheap.
Well said. I think that prepping is a life changing issue, at least for me it is. I have pretty much moved into a self sufficient mode. Not 100%, but working that way.

$1000 will go a ways toward getting you started. Food and water to start, as BKT said along with clothes and other "dry goods".

Work at it slowing and systematically. Staying the course. It will build faster than you think.

Jimmy

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

One fifth down payment on a 70 Series Colt Combat Commander rubbed on by Ted Yost.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well first off is firearms I just picked up a jewel of a rifle it's a Winchester 190 for 75$ and it's tube fed automatic already killed 3 squirrels with iron sights and about 3000 rounds for it a good cleaning kit for it a sling and some spare parts that's arous 250$-300$ ish so that leaves let's say 750$ ok well then that's for a good backpack framed preferably and ALICE framed throw the 22lr bricks in the pack keep about a hundred or so in your pocket and then spend the rest on a good survival knife, MRE's , water filters , matches gloves , and what evers left if any keep for trade
PS. add a trap and a sleeping bag

Last edited by SmithKid308; 10-18-2011 at 03:19 AM.