"100 things to go first" list - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

"100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
He was right about the beans combined with cornmeal or rice (I just looked it up).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/402969-are-pinto-beans-a-complete-protein/
No, he's not. And neither are you or any vegetarian. Not by a long shot. You need about 30% of your calories from protein to be healthy. Beans are relatively high in protein. However, even beans ALONE only have about 1/4 of their calories from protein. Dilute that with rice which essentially has NO protein and you're screwed.

I presume you aren't going to try to live on beans and wash them down with oil which is about what you'd have to do and it still wouldn't be balanced nutrition, wish as you might, listen to vegetarians, or repeat it like a mantra... You'll still sicken and starve yourself to death, albeit slowly.

Pinto beans here are sorta average by the way: 60 of 245 calories in a serving are from from protein, or 24%, and that's not ALL you're eating. Mix w/a servivg of rice and it's 20 of another 194 calories. That's just 10% of the rice's calories from protein. In this rocket scientist's book that's 80 of 439 calories from protein, or, 18%. Add a tablespoon of neccesary oil and it's 16% or less of your calories from protein in a 558 calorie meal.

Who told you that's enough again!?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4430/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5714/2

If it was easy every one of you would know all this stuff. And not argue. LOL

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-08-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1056 Times on 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

No, he's not. And neither are you or any vegetarian. You need about 30% of your calories from protein to be healthy. Beans are relatively high in protein. However, even beans ALONE only have about 1/4 of their calories from protein. Dilute that with rice which essentially has NO protein and you're screwed.

I presume you aren't going to try to live on beans and wash them down with oil which is about what you'd have to do and it still wouldn't be balanced nutrition, wish as you might, listen to vegetarians, or repeat it like a mantra... You'll still sicken and starve yourself to death, albeit slowly.
I guess of your strictly looking for long term storage and a balanced diet you better store up on Alpo!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I guess of your strictly looking for long term storage and a balanced diet you better store up on Alpo!
I sense you are leashing out at me for helping train everyone to plan, prepare, and practice. So you could buy Alpo. Or I could hit you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and you could learn to plan the proper percentage of your calories as protein and do something about it. My preps include a 2:1 ratio of TVP to dried meat/poultry by calories.

TVP? What's that HockaLouis -- is it like my wiseacre barking about canned dog food!?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-08-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
No, he's not. And neither are you or any vegetarian. Not by a long shot. You need about 30% of your calories from protein to be healthy. Beans are relatively high in protein. However, even beans ALONE only have about 1/4 of their calories from protein. Dilute that with rice which essentially has NO protein and you're screwed.

Pinto beans here are sorta average by the way: 60 of 245 calories in a serving are from from protein, or 24%, and that's not ALL you're eating. Mix w/a servivg of rice and it's 20 of another 194 calories. That's just 10% of the rice's calories from protein. In this rocket scientist's book that's 80 of 439 calories from protein, or, 18%. Add a tablespoon of neccesary oil and it's 16% or less of your calories from protein in a 558 calorie meal.

Who told you that's enough again!?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4430/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5714/2

If it was easy every one of you would know all this stuff. And not argue. LOL

Ok, I have to give you credit on that one. Being a vegetarian isn't very healthy and living off beans and cornmeal/rice would by definition make you vegetarian. It's tough for me to argue that point (even though I'm still trying to think of a way to.) However, you could get by for a while on beans and cornmeal/rice which a lot of people have done. So that makes them a short term solution. Throw in the occasional critter or two and you're good to go for a little while, but you're right some meat would definitely need to be on the menu.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
...Throw in the occasional critter or two and you're good to go for a little while, but you're right some meat would definitely need to be on the menu.
"Occassional"? "Some"!? You can learn, develop a plan, measure, and reach goals TLuker. Your health and welfare, maybe your survival, are in the balance. It's not alot harder to buy the right stuff vs. the wrong stuff.

Yes, rice and beans are long-lasting (except brown rice), cheap (though dried beans have doubled in price over the last three years -- thank you Mr. President), nice, and nutritious but not a comprehensive long-term emergency solution overall.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
"Occassional"? "Some"!? You can learn, develop a plan, measure, and reach goals TLuker. Your health and welfare, maybe your survival, are in the balance. It's not alot harder to buy the right stuff vs. the wrong stuff.

Yes, rice and beans are long-lasting (except brown rice), cheap (though dried beans have doubled in price over the last three years -- thank you Mr. President), nice, and nutritious but not a comprehensive long-term emergency solution overall.
Actually having beans and cornmeal for cornbread would be a goal for me. That's comfort food. But your point is well taken. It wouldn't be for everyday.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #57

I know -- it is some pretty good stuff. So is rice and beans. Just gotta throw a well-marbled steak on top of it once in a while!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

.22LR should be at the top of that list.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I know -- it is some pretty good stuff. So is rice and beans. Just gotta throw a well-marbled steak on top of it once in a while!
Did I mention that I'm allergic to mammals? The stake is not an option for me, but chicken and rice is pretty good too!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #60

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Darwin.
Darwin who?
THE Darwin, TLuker. We'll miss you!