"100 things to go first" list - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

"100 things to go first" list


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
He was right about the beans combined with cornmeal or rice (I just looked it up).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/402969-are-pinto-beans-a-complete-protein/
No, he's not. And neither are you or any vegetarian. Not by a long shot. You need about 30% of your calories from protein to be healthy. Beans are relatively high in protein. However, even beans ALONE only have about 1/4 of their calories from protein. Dilute that with rice which essentially has NO protein and you're screwed.

I presume you aren't going to try to live on beans and wash them down with oil which is about what you'd have to do and it still wouldn't be balanced nutrition, wish as you might, listen to vegetarians, or repeat it like a mantra... You'll still sicken and starve yourself to death, albeit slowly.


Pinto beans here are sorta average by the way: 60 of 245 calories in a serving are from from protein, or 24%, and that's not ALL you're eating. Mix w/a servivg of rice and it's 20 of another 194 calories. That's just 10% of the rice's calories from protein. In this rocket scientist's book that's 80 of 439 calories from protein, or, 18%. Add a tablespoon of neccesary oil and it's 16% or less of your calories from protein in a 558 calorie meal.

Who told you that's enough again!?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4430/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5714/2

If it was easy every one of you would know all this stuff. And not argue. LOL


Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-08-2013 at 01:02 AM.
HockaLouis is offline  
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TankTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,626
Liked 1056 Times on 567 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

No, he's not. And neither are you or any vegetarian. You need about 30% of your calories from protein to be healthy. Beans are relatively high in protein. However, even beans ALONE only have about 1/4 of their calories from protein. Dilute that with rice which essentially has NO protein and you're screwed.

I presume you aren't going to try to live on beans and wash them down with oil which is about what you'd have to do and it still wouldn't be balanced nutrition, wish as you might, listen to vegetarians, or repeat it like a mantra... You'll still sicken and starve yourself to death, albeit slowly.
I guess of your strictly looking for long term storage and a balanced diet you better store up on Alpo!
TankTop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I guess of your strictly looking for long term storage and a balanced diet you better store up on Alpo!
I sense you are leashing out at me for helping train everyone to plan, prepare, and practice. So you could buy Alpo. Or I could hit you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and you could learn to plan the proper percentage of your calories as protein and do something about it. My preps include a 2:1 ratio of TVP to dried meat/poultry by calories.

TVP? What's that HockaLouis -- is it like my wiseacre barking about canned dog food!?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-08-2013 at 01:48 AM.
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,550
Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4435

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
No, he's not. And neither are you or any vegetarian. Not by a long shot. You need about 30% of your calories from protein to be healthy. Beans are relatively high in protein. However, even beans ALONE only have about 1/4 of their calories from protein. Dilute that with rice which essentially has NO protein and you're screwed.

I presume you aren't going to try to live on beans and wash them down with oil which is about what you'd have to do and it still wouldn't be balanced nutrition, wish as you might, listen to vegetarians, or repeat it like a mantra... You'll still sicken and starve yourself to death, albeit slowly.


Pinto beans here are sorta average by the way: 60 of 245 calories in a serving are from from protein, or 24%, and that's not ALL you're eating. Mix w/a servivg of rice and it's 20 of another 194 calories. That's just 10% of the rice's calories from protein. In this rocket scientist's book that's 80 of 439 calories from protein, or, 18%. Add a tablespoon of neccesary oil and it's 16% or less of your calories from protein in a 558 calorie meal.

Who told you that's enough again!?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4430/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5714/2

If it was easy every one of you would know all this stuff. And not argue. LOL

Ok, I have to give you credit on that one. Being a vegetarian isn't very healthy and living off beans and cornmeal/rice would by definition make you vegetarian. It's tough for me to argue that point (even though I'm still trying to think of a way to.) However, you could get by for a while on beans and cornmeal/rice which a lot of people have done. So that makes them a short term solution. Throw in the occasional critter or two and you're good to go for a little while, but you're right some meat would definitely need to be on the menu.
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
...Throw in the occasional critter or two and you're good to go for a little while, but you're right some meat would definitely need to be on the menu.
"Occassional"? "Some"!? You can learn, develop a plan, measure, and reach goals TLuker. Your health and welfare, maybe your survival, are in the balance. It's not alot harder to buy the right stuff vs. the wrong stuff.

Yes, rice and beans are long-lasting (except brown rice), cheap (though dried beans have doubled in price over the last three years -- thank you Mr. President), nice, and nutritious but not a comprehensive long-term emergency solution overall.
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,550
Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4435

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
"Occassional"? "Some"!? You can learn, develop a plan, measure, and reach goals TLuker. Your health and welfare, maybe your survival, are in the balance. It's not alot harder to buy the right stuff vs. the wrong stuff.

Yes, rice and beans are long-lasting (except brown rice), cheap (though dried beans have doubled in price over the last three years -- thank you Mr. President), nice, and nutritious but not a comprehensive long-term emergency solution overall.
Actually having beans and cornmeal for cornbread would be a goal for me. That's comfort food. But your point is well taken. It wouldn't be for everyday.
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

I know -- it is some pretty good stuff. So is rice and beans. Just gotta throw a well-marbled steak on top of it once in a while!
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

.22LR should be at the top of that list.
__________________
If guns kill people, mine are defective.
Squawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,550
Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4435

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I know -- it is some pretty good stuff. So is rice and beans. Just gotta throw a well-marbled steak on top of it once in a while!
Did I mention that I'm allergic to mammals? The stake is not an option for me, but chicken and rice is pretty good too!
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Darwin.
Darwin who?
THE Darwin, TLuker. We'll miss you!
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
"Do "Gun-Free" Zones Encourage School Shootings?" cnorman18 The Club House 26 04-17-2012 09:57 PM
Old Revolver - "Revolvers Dreadnought" - "Azul" - Anyone familiar? stelliott80 Revolver Handguns 3 07-13-2011 10:52 PM
Does Obama Have an "Enemies List"? CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 18 10-27-2009 09:46 PM
Your "list" of handguns. Bighead General Handgun Discussion 22 10-26-2009 06:58 AM
Witloe Remington 1858 New Model Army "Lee" & "Grant" bprevolver Blackpowder & Musket 0 09-25-2008 11:11 PM



Newest Threads