"100 things to go first" list - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7605 Times on 4184 Posts
Likes Given: 7342

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Brown rice goes rancid in months -- does not last years. Buy parboiled, converted, or golden rice for storage, nutrition, and fastest cooking. You're also wrong about the protein -- sorry. Beans do not offer enough.
The beans lack two essential amino acids. The corn has those two in abundance. The combination is the complete protein.

Study what the poor countries have eaten for centuries. Combinations of cheap, readily available foods have kept them alive since the beginning.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4359

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
The list was compiled by a guy that interviewed survivors of disasters, most recently the Sarajevo Civil War. These were things that disappeared first and fastest - that is all the list comprises. However, I thought it an indispensable checklist because I did not realize that all of this would disappear from store shelves in hours, or three days, at the outside. By the time some people think to "stock up," it may all be gone. So, if I look at the list and think,"Geez, no vegetable oil? I only have a dinky bottle - how would I cook?" So it gets me to buy a couple of gallon bottles. But if I see an item on the list and think, "What do I care? I don't use it anyway!" Then no harm done and I'm good. No one is saying this is a prepper's list and to go out and buy 25 of everything on it!

Secondly, it shows the items that people covet in a disaster, and therefore what is MOST likely to hold value and be tradeable as barter or currency. I don't believe someone with 120+ rolls of toilet paper is planning for rampant diarrhea! He's going to use half or more as $20 bills when he needs seeds, a sharpening stone for his tools, or something he didn't plan for. By storing barterable goods, you acknowledge that you can't prep for everything, and it may be necessary to trade with others for goods. When everyone is using leaves in the outhouse, the man with 120 rolls of toilet paper is king!!!
You know how some people over complicate everything? .... Well I'm one of those people.

What I do is list things by categories and in order of importance. Category 1 is shelter. For my home I go through all the things I need to maintain it and heat it. Doing it this way also allows you to realize things that you wouldn't have necessarily thought of without taking this approach such as a couple of extra shingles to keep your home water tight or plywood to seal up a broken window. Next would be water. How are you going to provide water for your home and what all do you need to do that?

I never really consider barter items. They might come in handy but I stay focused on the things I know I'll need. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #43
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Interesting that a 2 year old thread got resurrected. Is it a sign of the times? Recent polls show that more people are afraid of our government than terrorists. I believe a lot more people are prepping lately and fear is driving it. Homeland Security is on the top of prepper list. What are they expecting? If they are worried we should be too. Read that list and do what applies to you. Especially meds. Anything you take on a regular basis even if it is over the counter like allergy remedies or antacids.
Baby wipes are a very handy item for more than just babies. I used to carry some for hand cleaners when I was working. You can also do a quick body wipe down when camping and even use them for toilet paper.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #44

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

LOL, it's good to be king!

Seriously, the TP is not really a prepping thing, I'd buy it no matter what. Even before I ever heard of this SHTF thing. It's actually pretty expensive, and you can save quite a bit by buying it on sale.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #45
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
You know how some people over complicate everything? .... Well I'm one of those people.

What I do is list things by categories and in order of importance. Category 1 is shelter. For my home I go through all the things I need to maintain it and heat it. Doing it this way also allows you to realize things that you wouldn't have necessarily thought of without taking this approach such as a couple of extra shingles to keep your home water tight or plywood to seal up a broken window. Next would be water. How are you going to provide water for your home and what all do you need to do that?

I never really consider barter items. They might come in handy but I stay focused on the things I know I'll need. Different strokes for different folks.
Fair enough! At least you realize this about yourself. :-P

When picking up a few extra shingles, try to make it a few extra bundles, voila'! You have barter. If you live in subdivisions, all of your neighbors will use the same roofing material, therefore you can trade with the ones that didn't prep for leaky roofs. Roofing nails and extra plywood would trade well also. So you don't have to change your style of planning, just increase slightly your purchased items. :-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Interesting that a 2 year old thread got resurrected. Is it a sign of the times? Recent polls show that more people are afraid of our government than terrorists. I believe a lot more people are prepping lately and fear is driving it. Homeland Security is on the top of prepper list. What are they expecting? If they are worried we should be too. Read that list and do what applies to you. Especially meds. Anything you take on a regular basis even if it is over the counter like allergy remedies or antacids.
Baby wipes are a very handy item for more than just babies. I used to carry some for hand cleaners when I was working. You can also do a quick body wipe down when camping and even use them for toilet paper.
When I read the first line, I was about to yell, "Make up your mind!" because I wanted to post a new thread, but I kept seeing the posts yelling, "Do a search! This was already discussed!" so I did a search, found it and requested a sticky. As I read on, I realized the point of your question and felt stupid for my reaction. Sorry, JTJ!

That's exactly why I wanted it stickied. I feel it's something that almost everyone coming to this forum would be interested to know if they don't already. I don't like the idea of all of this disappearing and me realizing too late that I missed the boat.

One final thing I would like everyone to consider: If you have a DIY project that you are going to get around to "someday," order the hard-to-get parts now and store them for two reasons: If SHTF, you may not be able to get them later, and; If they are at your disposal, you are more likely to start the project. So order the solar cells for the DIY solar panel and you can later scavenge glass, plywood, plexiglass or aluminum to assemble it into a solar panel. Or the PVC for a rain catchment system. Anything that you will be hard-pressed to find or is impossible qualifies.

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4359

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Fair enough! At least you realize this about yourself. :-P

When picking up a few extra shingles, try to make it a few extra bundles, voila'! You have barter. If you live in subdivisions, all of your neighbors will use the same roofing material, therefore you can trade with the ones that didn't prep for leaky roofs. Roofing nails and extra plywood would trade well also. So you don't have to change your style of planning, just increase slightly your purchased items. :-)
This is why I don't focus on barter items, and also why I did a thread looking for tips to get organized. Get and extra of everything and suddenly you need a warehouse to store it all.

I can barely stay organized with what I have. Then there is all of the additional stuff that I need and want. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

This is why I don't focus on barter items, and also why I did a thread looking for tips to get organized. Get and extra of everything and suddenly you need a warehouse to store it all.

I can barely stay organized with what I have. Then there is all of the additional stuff that I need and want. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
I can understand that. I don't buy anything by the pallet load, but if five shingles take up the same amount of room on a shelf as two bundles, I figure they haven't started taking over yet! You're right, though - if you have 50 items, there's 250+ more that you want! Storage management is a problem for anyone that doesn't have 40' shipping containers lining their property.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #49
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

A lot of shingle roofs are patched with metal shingles made from cut open tin cans. You might consider a roll of aluminum flashing which can be used for mre than shingles.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #50

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
A lot of shingle roofs are patched with metal shingles made from cut open tin cans.
*Shudder* A temporary solution at best. But the flashing would be useful for lots of other stuff.